Amp query Nad D 3020, Rotel RA-10 or Marantz Pm6005.

Homer71

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Making a huge decision to hopefully upgrade to a new amp from my Arcam alpha 8 which for many years has served me incredibly well.

I have approx £400 to spend and I'm hoping for a substantial improvement from the ageing arcam.

Currently I have the arcam paired with a Marantz cd6004 which is used to listen to CD's and the iPod files which have a bit rate of 192.

The new amp will be used with a pair of acoustic energy evo 3's which will be a future upgrade.

Given that I listen to mainly Rock-Alter Bridge,Black Stone Cherry,AC/DC,Aerosmith. Blues-Joe Bonamassa,Aynsley Lister,

Ryan Mcgarvey,Gary Moore and Stevie Ray CD's and on ipod. I have know interest in listening to vinyl now or in the future.

So is it possible to shorten my list of the NAD D 3020, Rotel Ra-10 or the Marantz pm6005 for audition purposes I was originally just going to

Settle for the Marantz but £400 is a substantial out lay for me and any opinion or advice will be very gratefully received .

Coll

May 4, 2011
Visit site
If you are buying blind without auditioning I would go for the Marantz. It will work well with your CD player. They are well made and built to last IMO.
I would not set my mind on speakers until you have run the Marantz combo for a while. You can then decide if you want something smooth or forward sounding which is what most modern speakers are these days.

manicm

It depends on your priorites:

1. If you want any sort of digital connectivity out of the box, the 3020D is the way to go.

2. If ultimate sound quality is your priority, and you're willing to forego the remote, then the Rotel is your best bet - especially since your music lies on the energetic side, also although the Rotel is only 40w, they're known to drive speakers than most other amps in its price range.

3. That said, do audition the Marantz, but I'm guessing once you hear the Rotel you'll have some serious thinking/hearing to do :)

Hi Homer71

I feel this is likely to be an overall side wards step rather then a substantial improvement in performance.

Alternatively look at adding an Alpha 8P or Alpha 9P to the Aplha 8 and bi amplify the speakers.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Homer71

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the advice I've had the Arcam for over 17years now and only changed the Arcam alpha 7cd player last year as it gave up and was unable to repair if its only going to be a sideways rather than a huge improvement I may just stay with my still wonderful Arcam.

minesapint

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Have just replied to a question with same shortlist. I too had similar requirements and last week had an audition of the marantz which was very disappointing. It had no life. Switching to a NAD, albeit one of the more expensive ones at double the price really opened up and sounded fantastic. I then tried the rotel ra10 which as the cheapest amp beat the NAD with better depth and soundstage. I had the budget for the NAD but bought the rotel, it sounds seriously good, different league to the marantz. Just my opinion mind.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts