Interconnect & Speaker cable help needed

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

pravstar

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
Ty to drummer man and gazzip too for your input, The vdh 122 are knocking about on the cheap from my mates house opposite me, and the profigolds look a good call. The telerium q black, its coincidental that I was looking at those on eBay just before reading these posts. I will audition the 122 first though.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
The joint best interconnects I've tried so far in my system are 0.5 metre lengths of this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PURESONIC-DOUBLE-SHIELDED-HIGH-PERFORMANCE-INTERCONNECT-/111605842217?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item19fc3a0129

£1.49 type ebayed interconnects come a very close 2nd, with there being a subtle difference in the treble on some test tracks in my system according to my ears.

The joint best speaker cable I've tried so far in my system, for the 10+ metre lengths I need to keep my turntable away from my speakers has been this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100m-Loud-Speaker-Cable-High-Quality-CCA-6mm-762-Strand-/170614191098?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item27b965f3fa

For anyone wanting to explore the world of cables, I'd recommend getting something really inexpensive that still looks over-engineered for the job and using that as a baseline to compare against whatever they fancy.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Well then I think if ofcom know about these companies and don't do anything, then they can't be doing anything wrong, because companies when they do get found out for false advertising are made to remove such claims very quickly. There must be truth in what the companies say then.

abacus

pravstar said:
Hi Bill

​Thanks for clearing a few of my HiFi dilemmas, I am taking your advice and not going down the biwiring route, and this has opened a lot more cables available to me.

I saw you mention professional music store as an option to get my missing components. Excuse my ignorance but could you tell me of places anywhere in and around London that you have heard or know of, because I have not seen one of those places in over ten years anywhere.

The biggest is probably DV247 www.dv247.com however if you do a quick google search you will find a number of smaller companys come up as well.

Hope this helps

Bill

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
radiorog said:
Well then I think if ofcom know about these companies and don't do anything, then they can't be doing anything wrong, because companies when they do get found out for false advertising are made to remove such claims very quickly. There must be truth in what the companies say then.

It would be nice if that were that case, but that's the smokescreen that is advertising and marketing. If you read carefully, a lot of the websites say things like "we think it makes it sound better", not just and out and out statement of "it does sound better". Whilst the difference is small, one (the latter) would get them a slap on the wrists from the ASA, the other one however, is totally permissible.

So in short, companies can basically say whatever they want, without using any "truths" whatsoever and still get away with it. Som have been told off by the ASA when they put in absolute claims, which then get changed to the "we think"or "we believe".

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
cheeseboy said:
radiorog said:

It would be nice if that were that case, but that's the smokescreen that is advertising and marketing. If you read carefully, a lot of the websites say things like "we think it makes it sound better", not just and out and out statement of "it does sound better". Whilst the difference is small, one (the latter) would get them a slap on the wrists from the ASA, the other one however, is totally permissible.

So in short, companies can basically say whatever they want, without using any "truths" whatsoever and still get away with it. Som have been told off by the ASA when they put in absolute claims, which then get changed to the "we think"or "we believe".

Yes but why are you singling out cable manufacturers when most Hifi component manufacturers are also up to it? Look at the majority of DAC or CD player manufacturer advertising. Below is an extract from the brochure for Bryston's BDA-2 DAC. I am not singling Bryston out for any other reason than to illustrate an example of the problem:

"The Bryston BDA-2 is a state of the art external Stereo DAC (digital to analog converter) which delivers superb sonic performance through re-sampling and re-clocking of the digital input signal."

Bryston's claim here is almost certainly made up. Re-clocking removes jitter and jitter is not thought to be audible to the human ear. Bryston then go on to list a series of components and circuit set up specifications which are ubiquitous to many, many CD players. The implication of said specification list being that these components are somehow really important in making their product better superior. They are not. This is simply a schedule of fairly rudimentary electronic components. However it looks technical enough to mean something.

I think that you single out cables and their manufacturers for ridicule and heresy because it is easy. Cable manufacturers cannot list a series of basic components to back up their marketing claims and hide behind it because they are in most cases limited to a wire and two pairs of connectors. Take the specification list away from the Bryston advert and you are left with the same degree of unsubstantiated claim for both products.

It is simply a step to far for some people to believe that something as simple as different materials can effect an electrical signal in different ways. However stick some electronics in to the setup and it MUST be true.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Gazzip said:
cheeseboy said:
radiorog said:

Yes but why are you singling out cable manufacturers .....

I didn't, unless the word cable mysteriously appeared in my post above. It's a general statement about the entirety of marketing and advertising. Perhaps less speed more haste before pressing the reply button?

edit: just to say, I do agree, that it's not just cable manufacturers that are guilty and quite frankly, they all should be shot.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
208h6dw.jpg

TRENDING THREADS