Horrible experience with Q Acoustics 2020i

MaxD

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
I know this post could not be very popular expecially here on Whathifi forum, they always goes 5 stars for any single Q Acoustics product they review, and this was originally also the reason becouse I bought them for my studio room, the place where I mostly work and in the same time I listen to music.

For long time, in that room, I was pretty ok with an old Rotel RA-560 and some three way Pioneer CS-535 bass reflex speakers.

It simply sounded ok at mid to high level of sound with my records and cds.

Two years ago I added an Arcam IrDAC and it was fine play also with digital music formats, I didn't really feel the need to buy something more recent until - after like 15 years of faithfull use - Rotel had a problem with one power end of his channels.

Considering it was very old, I think it was good time for it for a very deserved pension.

I had friends with modern equipment and I always trusted Whathifi more than other sites to get advise from hi-fi gears and - incredible to say - when it was time to choose the speakers for my new system, I trusted Whathifi more than my ears, and what a mistake I did!

Two close friends got very good modern working racks powered by Rotel RA-10 and Monitor Audio BX2. I listen to them and I liked the sound, then this Q Acoustics speakers, advised so well by Whathifi guys, were wondering in my head. No one in my area used to sell this speakers, no person I know got a pair to listen too, so no option to heard them before buy.

Lucky, this days, we have very many options and the monster seller we all known, got a good market place seller offering Q Acoustics in my country even if not in my area.

For the amp, the option was to stick with faithfull Rotel, I had to choose between repair my old amp or choosing a new one, like maybe the RA-10.

Then, some further reading and considering I owned and a friend of mine still own a NAD original 3020 (fantastic piece of vintage hardware!), I decided to sell my IrDAC to a friend asking for it and buy the all in one solution, the revamped NAD D 3020, with plenty of inputs and a modern, integrated DAC.

For the speakers I then decided to give Q Acoustics 2020i a try: they should be great, I was wondering reading what Whahifi experts says, even if the corporate site on Q Acoustics got little technical references, no end user support (think about the great NAD end user support via NAD Saloon), no e-mail support addresses. I found just an e-mail address, I think this e-mail add is generally used and they never ever reply to my inquire before and after the purchase, never ever reply even when I got problems with them speakers.

I bough the two pieces of equipment from two different sellers. NAD comes first, connected to my 60+60 Watt over 8 Ohm vintage CS-535 Pioneer speakers and I was satisfy about the sound.

Even if the NAD is just 30+30 Watt over 8 Ohm (probably, like in the NAD tradition, it really is like 40+40 more than 30+30), it drive the CS-535 at the same volume level and musical pressure compared to my old and beloved Rotel RA-560, nomially rated at 40+40 Watt on 8 Ohm.

Then Q Acoustics comes and the nightmare start. I swapped the Pioneer with the brand new Q Acoustics 2020i and the sound was very good, like expected, at low to mid level, then when I pump up the volume the sound was still good, but a bit cranky on some bass on some recording, not all.

I said... Mmmmm, this speakers need to be trained for like 40/50 hours before I get the best from them, so I patiently tolerated the cranky sound high level volumes on some registrations. Same registrations sounding and doing great with my others Pioneer vintage speakers, swapped for the 2020i.

I also went wondering about buy a subwoofer, considering my NAD D 3020 do have a passive output just for connection to a subwoofer.

After like 150/200 hours of unsatifying listen becouse of the cranking up bass. I contacted the seller to get a warrantly exchange of the speakers, considering IMHO they never sounded good to my ears becouse of the cranks. I also noted that when the speakers arrived to me, they didn't had the Q Acoustics stickers they usually do have and that should certify they are brand new.

Seller was very fine, it exchanged them to me, without any comment. This time he sent me a new pair with the warrantly sticker on both the single speaker envelope. They were surely brand new.

Connected to my NAD D 3020 and - finally - I got the sound I was expecting from 2020i. Controlled bass (no more cranky sound on some recordings).

Honestly, considering I'm listen loud and the music I listen too is very mixed, then mainly it is electric blues, rock'n'roll, hard rock, both old school and vintasge recordings and new recordings, I was considering to buy the subwoofer becouse I needed more bass. I was expecting it, I mean the deficiency of bass, considering usually this happen with bookshelf two way speakers, so I wasn't too much disappointed.

I had normal listening sessions for like two weeks, then one day I was listening to the last Chris Robinson Brotherhood cd (phosphorescent Harvest). This guys got great jam band, american southern roots music, Chris used to be in the Black Crowes, rhythmic, a lot of percussion, a controlled bass, twin funky guitars, pumped organ, some horns.

Speakers at a certain point, started to buzz and then both the woofers stopped to work pretty much in the same time. Good God, what I did so specially wrong becouse this speakers stopped working?

Nothing really. I connected the vintage Pioneer to the amp, the sound started to play again, very loud, very controlled, very ok, no distortion nothing.

I wrote to the seller and it said: do your amp works? It is so strange. Send back those speakers to me, He tells me he do not sell a lot of this Q Acoustics, then on like 10 pairs just two customers got problems. I sent back and he called me back telling me the woofer internal connections - externally those woofer been in perfect conditions - was totally burned away probably from an execcive volume and noise distortion, I played them too loud, he said!

I said: WTF? First thing I did, considering I got a NAD official repair center in my area, was to bring my D 3020 to them for a check. I was sure it was perfect, it wasn't involved in this mess, guys from NAD saloon said it was impossibile this will happen if the amp was still fine with other speakers.

They said this new generation of amps, are not like '60s/70s amps, in case of problems they suddenly got protection, even when current level exceed the specification for like 200/300 mV (0.2/0.3 volt). If this wont to happen, not just the woofer thin connections will burn, the whole amp and the whole speaker will go.

If you consider the NAD D 3020 go in protection position even if - say - you crack a vinyl disk on the pickup, it was quietly impossible for him to make such a waste without kill himself too.

The NAD lab checked my amp and they said it was perfect.

I sent the NAD technical report to seller, I said him I never ever wanted to hear about Q Acoustics and I choose some Monitor Audio BX2 as the exchange trade.

It is like three weeks they now work with a lot of fun and satisfaction from my side on my system, I can crank my NAD D 3020 volume up to 100 x 100 and they still sound great with pretty much no distortion and especially they do not fail.

Now, you can said, MA BX2 are 8 Ohm speakers, so they pretty much run under specification considering they are rated for 100 Watt on 8 Ohm and they get at a very maximum 40/45 per channel from the NAD. You could also said, Q Acoustics are 4,4 Ohm so they get pretty much 60/65 Watt from the NAD: yes, it is true, then they are rated for 100 Watt too and between 65 and 100 you still fot 35 Watt of gain.

During this painfull story, I wrote two e-mails to Q Acoustics, I never ever heard from them. In the same time NAD Saloon guys reply to me like three times in 72 hours; seller same great assistance, NAD local repair center offered the service to me in one day under warrantly.

Q Acoustics do not have repair centers in my area (Italy), do not have headquarter and they do not reply to e-mails in my experience.

I also asked to few sellers in my area, quietly pretty good passionate store owners selling pretty much everything (Dali, Monitor Audio, JBL, Denon, NAD, Rotel and so on) why they didn't sell Q Acoustics: they reply they never think about this brand becouse they never had repair center in the area and they generally speaking heard about problems with the brand.

Now, ok, it's over, then I would suggest people NOT to buy this brand, such a brand with no decent web support site, check if they got direct repair center support in your area. My idea is this speakers are very fragile and they could be ok for people listen smooth, background music: not exactly me. To fail so easy, they should be made of poor quality material, there is no other explanation based on my nightmare with them.

And about Whathifi giving them stars over stars: how do you guys test your speakers? Q Acoustics doesn't sound bad, then you should also check how they are made, how they can handle work loads and stuff like that. Well, then we all knows, often, brands send special equipment to reviewers, not just what we buy.

That's all, curious to hear about how other customers relate with them Q Acoustics gear and if anyone got such nightmare experience like i got.

unsleepable

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
You may have brought the amplifier into clipping and broken the speakers. The D 3020 is not a very powerful amplifier, and therefore easy to make it clip.

Impedance works a bit the opposite you have described. A speakers with lower impedance will be able to take more current from the amplifier—and to satisfy the speakers, the amplifier needs to be able to provide such current.

In addition to the BX2 having a higher nominal impedance than the 2020i, they also have a bit more sensitivity—90 vs 88 dB. Therefore, the amplifier needs to do a bit less efort for the speakers to give you the volume you want.

Out of curiosity, how far did you crank the volume of the amplifier up?

T

the record spot

I think you've driven the amp too hard and caused it to distort resulting in the noise you heard from your speakers. You're lucky you didn't blow any of the gear.

MaxD

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
unsleepable said:
You may have brought the amplifier into clipping and broken the speakers. The D 3020 is not a very powerful amplifier, and therefore easy to make it clip.

Impedance works a bit the opposite you have described. A speakers with lower impedance will be able to take more current from the amplifier—and to satisfy the speakers, the amplifier needs to be able to provide such current.

In addition to the BX2 having a higher nominal impedance than the 2020i, they also have a bit more sensitivity—90 vs 88 dB. Therefore, the amplifier needs to do a bit less efort for the speakers to give you the volume you want.

Out of curiosity, how far did you crank the volume of the amplifier up?

Clipping usually do destroy tweaters, not woofers. Distortions just kill cheap speakers, especially becouse my NAD tested in the lab with instruments at full power proved to practically not introduce any distortion. This is were class D amplifiers are better than class A/B amplifier, like the guys at the NAD repair center and from NAD saloon corrected pointed me out.

Related with the impedence, it is exactly what I said: Q Acoustics (4.4 Ohm driven) ask for more power to the amp if they want to be driven as powerfull as the Pioneer or the BX2 (8 Ohm), then - sticking at the specification - 2020i should still have the temper to handle the load needed and provided by the amp without burning like some piece of crap.

And in my experience, they cracked, woofer connectors were burning: cheap material for me, 150£ or not.

And, also disappointing, is the fact that I had TWO PAIRS of Q Acoustics speakers failing: the first simply sounded very bad with some recordings, cracking on the bass when cranking up the volume.

About the volume: as you probably knows, NAD D 3020 got a db scale and the scale was between 10 db and 0 db, more near 0 than 10.

Very, very disappointed by this brand. Glad for me is definitely over with them.

And what about the support? I had NO support. Look, for example, at the Monitor Audio site: plenty of informations, FAQ, support reply in 24 hours time. Before ordering the BX2 as replacement to 2020i, I asked them advise related with the speakers as a combo with my beloved D 3020 amp: they said go ahead, you should have no problem at all, and for now I didn't had it.

Those people at Q Acoustics barely got a e-mail add on the site, one for all, generically indicated as "contact". And, worst of all, they NEVER reply when I asked for advice related by my problems with the first and the second pair I had.

I was just lucky seller was so professional to exchange everything under warrantly and changing brand with the simple add of dome little money (BX2 are lil more expensive than Q Acoustics).

This is totally not professional, IMHO, 150£ or don't,

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
I was always suspicious about Q Aqoustics , very cheap speakers with 5 stars reviews :rofl: too good to be true :doh:

I never heard them and I am not sure I want to ...

However i listened to the MA BX2 in the past and I was amazed how great this speakers are : punchy bass , huge soundstage , very detailed and

natural sound moreover it's a very reliable brand . you made an excellent decision .

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
QAcoustics use small drivers with small magnets and they do look cheap but in all fairness, they sell for not much money. I don't think I'd go up the range simply because they reportedly use the same drivers in more elaborate boxes.

I love Mission M71i's. At low to medium levels, they sound like much more expensive speakers but turn the wick up and they loose composure. This they have in common with many small speakers, some more expensive but generally speaking (though not to much generalising) more money will buy better, more solid engineering, including drivers.

regards

unsleepable

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I agree that that is at least what it looks like. The minimum impedance of the 2020i is 4 ohm, and at almost maximum volume, the amplifier may have very well been clipping.

I don't blame the OP, though—his logic is perfectly sound and is how many would think: if the speakers are supposed to be able to handle the power that the amplifier can provide, why should they burn? That they break precisely because the amplifier cannot provide more power is completely counter-intuitive. Companies like Apple or Microsoft would have not gone anywhere with that sort of usability. :grin:

It'd be nice to see if amplifier vendors can do something better than letting their products burn speakers when overdriven.

Tarxman

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
This is very reminiscent of a previous thread whereby the OP kept blowing his B&W speakers with an Arcam A19, mainly due to misuse despite forumites advice. Just because an amps volume control can be turned up, doesn't mean it should be. My own amp requires that the volume be turned up no further than "10 o'clock" in order to fill my room with plenty of sound.

nirvy111

May 1, 2014
Visit site
The post is a little disconcerting, I recently bought 3 pair of q acoustics concept 20's for my home theatre 6.1 setup. I've only had them for 6 weeks but I can't say I've had any problems and I play them loud running off my denon x4000 which is rated only to 6 ohm. Maybe they have some quality control issues with 2020i or the o.p is just very unlucky, who knows but it's hard to imagine you could burn out speakers like that unless you play them extremely loud or they're simply wired wrong or something. Even if the amp is not ideal it still should work o.k, I mean they're only a small speakers.

Coincidently these replaced a set of monitor audio bx2's with matching centre I've had for the past 18 months. I enjoyed the MA's a lot in that time but the Q acoustics are on another level for me, I'm really impressed by them, perhaps more so then any other speaker I've purchased in the past 20 year, just a really good perfomer for the money. If they don't burn out I have nothing but positives to say about them.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
nirvy111 said:
I mean they're only a small speakers.

I suspect that is the problem. Turned it up too much trying to get bass/volume that he was used to getting from much more sensitive, bigger speakers.

Neptune_Twilight

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
The BX's have metal cones which depending how the voice coil is setup can survive abuse better than other materials as the metal cones can dissipate heat whereas the Q's can't - It's quite possible to destroy bass drivers with being over driven as my nephew found out & his tweeters survived - Maybe the OP could look out for a pair of used Cerwin Vegas? Looking at how far the volume goes round it totally immaterial & means nothing.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
MaxD said:
... I can crank my NAD D 3020 volume up to 100 x 100 and they still sound great with pretty much no distortion and especially they do not fail.

Is that as far as the volume control will go?

If so, the 2020s were probably doing you a favour. They were sacrificing themselves before your ears got damaged.

You can get an app for your smartphone that will measure SPL in dBs. They aren't super accurate but give a pretty good idea.

If - when held pointing at the speakers from where you listen - the levels are continuously over 85dB then it is likely your hearing is damaged anyway.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Jota180 said:
Their gear is cheap and everyone in the chain is making a nice profit. This can only mean components are from the bargain basement bin.

But this is exactly the same for any mainstream audio product....... :read:

I am not sure what your point is?

slice

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
A technical question - I'm not an electrical engineer - is it possible for amp manufacturers to devise an automatic cut off system to operate when the output reaches the point where damage to speakers is likely?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts