ATC SCM 40 mk2 vs Harbeth Super HL5 Plus

Galapagos

May 31, 2015
Visit site
Hello all,

I need your advice. I am going to one of those speakers. But I need your advise before make a decision. Both Harbeth and ATC dealer are far away where I live.

Are there anyone who listened both and recommend to me for classical, jazz and acoustic music?

ATB

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Galapagos said:
Hello all,

I need your advice. I am going to one of those speakers. But I need your advise before make a decision. Both Harbeth and ATC dealer are far away where I live.

Are there anyone who listened both and recommend to me for classical, jazz and acoustic music?

ATB

I don't have first hand experience of those models, but I did used to own ATC SCM40 and could not live with them... great for some genres and awful with others. Whereas the SHL5 that I currently own, no matter what you listen to, whether it be Acoustic, Rock, Electronic or Classicle they all sound beautifully even, superbly detailed, but never harsh... the one area that can be a problem if the amp isn't up to it, can be the base, but from what I've read about the new SHL5+ this area has been addressed. I hope to be getting mine later this year.

Which amp and source will you be using?

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Galapagos said:
Thank you for your reply. My amp is ATC SIA2 150 and DAC is Aqua HiFi MK2.

That amp should be alright for the Harbs, but there will be the obvious synegy with the ATC SCM40's

ATC is a much more neutral speaker, whereas with Harbeth will be on the warmer side, so will be up to you what kind of sound you prefer.

Keep us posted on any decision you make.

Mac

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
I haven't heard exactly these models, though I have heard the active SCM40s and Mac's SHL5s.

I would concur with Mac's view. The SHL5s are something of a bargain IMO. The new model will, I imagine, be subtly better.

ATC's SCM40MK1, curved SCM40 passive and active monitors differ in their presentation.

Although the SIA2-150 does form a excellent match with curved SCM40's however the OP really needs to try and compare the ATC and Harbeth at the same time. It should be worth the time and effort.

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

SteveR750

FWIW I think the new SCM40s are stunning boxes. They may be neutral, but they are not harsh, and they are great with all of the musical genres I listen to. There may be alternative options to the ATC amnp by the way too.

Galapagos

May 31, 2015
Visit site
Thank you all comments. Today I auditioned both of them. I found Harberh's mids are to die for but found them bright. ATC is more neutral without being harsh or bright. Amp was ATC's. So I looked other amps. Devialet 120 was not a good choise. Synthesis Roma 510AC had bass issue with Harbeth's. They couldn't control bass Fqs. It turned out Harbeth with Ayom Spirit 3 was beautiful. I decided go this combo after all.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Galapagos said:
Thank you all comments. Today I auditioned both of them. I found Harberh's mids are to die for but found them bright. ATC is more neutral without being harsh or bright. Amp was ATC's. So I looked other amps. Devialet 120 was not a good choise. Synthesis Roma 510AC had bass issue with Harbeth's. They couldn't control bass Fqs. It turned out Harbeth with Ayom Spirit 3 was beautiful. I decided go this combo after all.

Excellent! I'm not familiar with that amp... is it a valve one, Class A or AB?

Mac

Galapagos

May 31, 2015
Visit site
Thank you Mat.

Here is the amp;

http://www.ayonaudio.com/products/amplifier/kt88-kt150-series/spirit-iii.html

A tube amp but not with muddy bass.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site

Galapagos

May 31, 2015
Visit site
CnoEvil

Actually I would like to get Devialet. SAM feature, his design even the remote was top quality. But with Harbeth, highs are bright and bass are boomy. And also I don't like articulation with it.

Mac, you bet :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts