Looking for an installation, but...

J.C.Verb

Oct 11, 2023
Visit site
Hello fellow HiFi enthusiasts,

A short while ago I got the chance to listen to an incredible installation at my college teacher his house (due to common interests and him only being 8 years older than me, we are more friends than student and teacher) and boy music has never been this amazing to listen to. Anything I requested from jazz to modern pop and EDM music, even hardstyle (just for fun, not generally my style) sounded exquisite. I later also listened to electrostatic loudspeakers and they topped the previous installation tenfold, though it lacked the bass.

But let's reel it back and me introduce myself first.

My name is Jordy and I live in The Netherlands. And I am a 23-year-old male, who is about to embark on a new chapter in my life, living on my own.
Both sad and lucky, my grandmother passed away a short while ago and she shared her inheritance with her 4 grandkids equally. And I don't party at all, and have good savings of my own along with my aforementioned part-time job, so I can be a bit exuberant with my installation for my age.

So I was wondering if people on Forums could help me with guiding me down the light side, rather than me believing everything a slick salesman tells me in the local HiFi store.

A short list of what I am looking for:

• A basic 2.1 system that is capable of working with my TV and audio streaming services.
  • My budget, is 2000 euros preferably. (Absolute limit, 2500 euros, just don't tell my girlfriend) Also need an amplifier for this budget.
  • I am not looking for a soundbar.
  • A Multiroom solution is also okay to recommend. (I heard Sonos was good at this while sounding good, have yet to confirm it myself though)
  • I wouldn't mind it if they were electrostatic loudspeakers
  • Wouldn't mind using a separate woofer to enhance the listing experience.
  • The entire installation cannot be too big. (The student room is about 35m2 ) I have seen the Harman Kardon Citation Tower in person, beautiful to look at (they weren't playing so no idea how they sound), but they are just waaaay too big for me.
  • The installation has to be liked by my girlfriend too. (I showed her things like a Kad k7 and Goldmund Tethys (fairly square boxes) and those types of designs are absolute no-go's for her.)

Pretty broad list I know, but that is because I am open to nearly everything. Although some requests will make it difficult I imagine, but feel free to stretch those requests a bit.

Feel free to share everything, I might not react to your comment but I will read everything.

Thank you for reading, and taking the time to answer :)

Kind regards,

Jordy.

Last edited:
Welcome to the form!
A pair of KEF LSX II might be a good choice. They are active, meaning each contains amplifiers. You can stream from phone, tablet, PC. You can plug in your TV. They are small enough to be a desktop solution. Available in funky colours you might like. You can connect a turntable if you get drawn to LPs rather than streaming. You can add a sub woofer.

Reactions: J.C.Verb

jjbomber

Hello fellow HiFi enthusiasts,

A short while ago I got the chance to listen to an incredible installation at my college teacher his house (due to common interests and him only being 8 years older than me, we are more friends than student and teacher) and boy music has never been this amazing to listen to.

Jordy.
Find out what his system is. You already know that you will like it.

daytona600

Reactions: J.C.Verb

BiggaJ

Oct 29, 2019
Visit site
If you like the sound that comes from the set up your tutor has then I would say you have very similar likes in how a system should sound. I would ask his/her advice and then go demo some products.

Forums are great places for general advice but remember everyone has a different taste in music and how they like it to sound so you will get lots of try this and that which can be helpful but as stated above, you seem to have found a sound you like so take it from there.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts