why do digital recordings still sound better on vinyl than CD

rrm

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
I have a few classical records from the eighties that were digitally recorded and some sound quite good, certainly better in fact than the equivalent CD.

I dont get this. If it starts off digital surely it should be better on CD, since vinyl can only add distortions. Any ideas as to why the vinyl sounds better?

BTW I have a very good CD player( I like to think) so I dont put this down to inferior equioment.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
It's one of those things. There is another thread that has been discussing the vinyl 'thing' and individuals asking why vinyl sounds better. There is no definitive answer, it seems. For me, certain instruments sound more natural on vinyl, and if the difference was only subtle, I wouldn't have spent a fortune on vinyl over the last year or so. I still appreciate digital, as there are a few 24/96 recordings (and a few variants) I have collected that sound great.

I agree that vinyl can only add distortion, but despite that, a growing number of people don't see that as an issue. There's pros and cons to both analogue and digital - analogue is prone to distortion, and digital has a clipped frequency range. Back in the 90's, Pioneer produced CD players using something called Legato Link, which was a process that extrapolated what was supposed to be present in the recording above the 20kHz brick wall filter of the CD. The thinking behind this was that if the missing Harmon's of the frequencies below 20kHz could be reproduced, you'd end up with a CD that sounds more like vinyl (as vinyl reportedly has a range up to 60kHz). These players certainly sounded quite different to other CD players, and were very popular at the time.

Bring it back Pioneer! (Along with your stable platter mechanism)

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
I agree that vinyl can only add distortion, but despite that, a growing number of people don't see that as an issue. There's pros and cons to both analogue and digital - analogue is prone to distortion, and digital has a clipped frequency range. Back in the 90's, Pioneer produced CD players using something called Legato Link, which was a process that extrapolated what was supposed to be present in the recording above the 20kHz brick wall filter of the CD. The thinking behind this was that if the missing Harmon's of the frequencies below 20kHz could be reproduced, you'd end up with a CD that sounds more like vinyl (as vinyl reportedly has a range up to 60kHz). These players certainly sounded quite different to other CD players, and were very popular at the time.

Bring it back Pioneer! (Along with your stable platter mechanism)

Interesting. I have a PD-77, and it sounds closer to a high quality turntable than any other source I've heard. Still prefer vinyl though!

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Just done an A-B of Roxy Music - Avalon LP - Side 2 Track 2 Take a Chance on Me.......vinyl is way way better the drums sound so real

I can't bare to listen to CD's anymore!

jjbomber

rrm said:
I dont get this. If it starts off digital surely it should be better on CD, since vinyl can only add distortions. Any ideas as to why the vinyl sounds better?

This may be a simple explanation. Let us take pictures as our starting point. Digital cameras produce better pictures for the vast majority and digital TV produces pictures that are light years ahead of the old analogue. So we all know that digital is better and clearer. Or is it? Let us take this digital photo and magnify it 1,000 times. All we get is boxes and pixalation. If we magnify the analogue picture 1,000 times, we still get a picture with curves. So analogue is better.

So some prefer vinyl and analogue, while others prefer digital and CDs. It's a bit like religeon, everyone has their own opinion and should respect other people's (but they don't!!!).

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
stevebrock said:
l

That's just plain silly!

Anyway, don't worry helps at hand. Seeing as you have all those CDs that you can no longer stand to listen to, I'll take them off your hands at absolutely no cost to you, and I'll even pay the P & P
smiley-wink.gif

iMark

I inherited quite a couple of hundred classical LP's, ranging from about 1960 to 1985. Some of them are digital recordings and they do sound excellent. A good example is the cycle of Mozart piano concerti by Murray Perahia and the ECO. The project started with analogue recordings in 1975 and about halfway they switched to digital recording. The digitals sound a tiny bit better (different?) than the analogues. I have the same cycle on CD so it's a good case for comparisons. The first digital remasters for CD were awful but the cycle current available from Sony (2006 remasters) sounds quite good compared to the original LP's.

I also have a few digital recordings on LP from DG, Decca and Philips and they all sound awesome on our system. I suppose the main advantage for switching to digital in classical recordings was the complete lack of tape hiss and easier editing. On some analogue studio recordings you can sometimes hear that tapes from different takes were spliced together.

stevebrock said:

Little OTT? either there's something amiss with your system or your hearing is wonky.

Even my puny Leema and Naim make most cd recordings sound wonderful. Still like cds, equally like vinyl. Think the black stuff gives music more credance. Some over compressed cds aren't very good (remastered cds are biggest culprits).

Embrace the music, not the format.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Get the vinyl transferred over to a CD and it will sound identical.

Or rip the CD and use a plugin to add analogue distortion...

http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/vinyl/

The CD format will hold a precise (as far as is audible) copy of an analogue recording. It will only hold however what is put on it...

So either you are listening to good recordings (vinyl) vs bad recordings on CD, or you prefer the distortion...

:)

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Just done an A-B of Roxy Music - Avalon LP - Side 2 Track 2 Take a Chance on Me.......vinyl is way way better the drums sound so real

But have you got a cdp?

Are you going to buy a phono stage for your amp. as I gather its only a cheap phono stage in the Elict R?

Maybe you could try Blu-Ray audio see if thats any better than cd.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
BigH said:
stevebrock said:

But have you got a cdp?

Are you going to buy a phono stage for your amp. as I gather its only a cheap phono stage in the Elict R?

I am just using an ATV3 into my DAC - might get another Apolllo R

BigH said:
stevebrock said:

But have you got a cdp?

You should know - he won't buy anything unless it's got a Rega badge on it. :shhh:

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
stevebrock said:
Me and Roy are close :)

Why doesn't that surprise me? :p

Last Friday I took delivery of my new speakers, but won't reveal what they are as no-one, at the end of the day, gives a s**t. No reveal. No sig. They're marvellous...

:twisted:

aww comeo on give us a clue!

stevebrock said:
plastic penguin said:
stevebrock said:
Me and Roy are close :)

Why doesn't that surprise me? :p

Last Friday I took delivery of my new speakers, but won't reveal what they are as no-one, at the end of the day, gives a s**t. No reveal. No sig. They're marvellous...

:twisted:

aww comeo on give us a clue!

No point. This is the main reason why I've posted less and less recently.

the ones who used really appreciate others equipement have either gone or post rarely.

Just enjoy your Regas (and the forthcoming Saturn-R)

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Exactly the reason why I won't be posting much on here. No doubt you'll find a picture or use your misplaced humour.

Must have missed the house rule about everything having to be totally serious, but please stop being such a drama queen.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts