Got a deal on a Yamaha R-N800a... it's amazing

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
I've been waiting for the Yamaha R-N800a to come available again here in the USA for a while and it did so just in the nick of time (for me anyway).
I had purchased a CXA61 but it has gone back.
The Yamaha is really quite something in terms of features, looks and sound. In many ways I think it surpasses the CXA in terms of overall sound quality.
 Bear in mind that to get the same features as the R-N800 you would have to buy the CXA and a MXN10 which would cost around the same as the Yamaha.
The Yamaha is much more forgiving of badly recorded and badly remastered music (which seems to be around 70% of what is out there these days)... it somehow washes over the digital nastiness and turns a bad recording into a very smooth and detailed presentation (almost analog sounding)! The CXA just plays it the way it is... with no whitewash! (that's great, but can get a bit fatiguing and somewhat frustrating at times). Playing something well mastered through the Yamaha results in it excelling... with a clear, well balanced, rhythmic and spacious sound stage.
BTW I'm using Q Acoustics 3050s and various pairs of phones (AKG K701's Sony MDR7506's etc.) and streaming Tidal premium.
Even streaming with bluetooth sounds excellent (better than the CXA IMHO) even though the Yamaha only has BT 4.2
The Music Cast app is good (and intuitive) and even the YPAO has a use (I thought that it would be just a gimmick). However, be advised, YPAO can only be 'on' if Pure Direct is 'off'.
The only snag so far is that, although Music Cast supports Tidal connect, there is a small Tidal issue: Using Tidal connect in the desktop app. (on a Mac) results in the stream not being at full resolution (even when a MAX/FLAC stream is available). Clicking on 'Sound Output' reveals 'Tidal connect' (with the name of whatever you called your R-N800) but you only get the HIGH streaming version. Switch to any other out... e.g. bluetooth, and you get the MAX/FLAC version back. 
I'm still trying to figure this out because the first time I tried it I could swear that it was streaming at full resolution! I was able to close the lid of the MacBook and Tidal kept playing (showing that it was just acting as the controller and the stream was going direct to the amp via wi fi).
Tidal e mailed me and stated that "Yamaha is not currently integrated with Tidal". Using the Music Cast app. on my iPhone ('Tidal connect' selected in 'Music Cast') shows a MAX/FLAC playback being sent out. Of course, the 'Music Cast' opens the Tidal iOS app. when you select 'Tidal connect' and so how does that work? LOL 
If anyone can enlighten me please do!!

BTW; I'm currently listening to 'Us and Them' (2023 DSOTM remaster) and it sounds absolutely dreadful. It did through the CXA61 too. What did they do to this album? I was listening to it on vinyl (1976 copy) a few months ago (Goldring GL75 / NAD 3020 / Mission 700's) and I swear that it sounded way better than this!

Last edited:
Reactions: gotnoname and Dom

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
Although flac is a cd quality recording compressed without any loss of quality.
Hi quality on Spotify means hi res with an increased number of bits giving a wider dynamic range.
hi-res audio should sound superior to lossless audio because it has a higher bitrate and sample rate.
I can only assume it's the same on tidal.

Dom

Great, I'm glad your enjoying your setup. Its pleasing to know when your happy with your hifi. The system sounds amazing from what I can gather. Yamaha are known for lush sound quality and it sounds like that's what your describing, tar tar.

Last edited:

gasolin

I heard a moreno j mix and it had to much bass, i adjusted it, the bass was lowered, tuned for better balance, the sound when i use pure direct (bass 0 db) is more midrange heavy and of course more bass, even with music that has a normal level of bass a little loud,high.

The adjusted bass gives more clarity since the bass don't mask the highs so much and lowered it effected the midrange, less warmth,coloured but still have bass

Max power is not super high but adjusted (-25db) so it's not to loud (low sensitive speakers), even with the bass at 0 db it's not distorting, adjusted bass and using that setting, just makes it play full power (-25db not 100% full power) more effordless and cleaner sounding without the bass being to boomy or to low

Lot's of streaming, amazon music,tidal,Qobuz,spotify,napster, 4x digital out and usb on the front, wifi, bt net radio,dab and regular radio (+ a little more)

The new Yamaha network amps are great
1lH10Vh[1].jpg

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
One thing that annoys with my amp (think it's the same on the other version) is that for turning it on (unless you use the app) you have to use the remote control for tuning it on
Which amp do you have?
This seems to be the case with most amps these days. e.g. Cambridge Audio recommends that you leave their amps in standby mode permanently. Opening the app will result in your music playing where you last left off. Unfortunately, it's become an 'app' world. It's all those Gen Z 'zoomers' around the world that decide how our tech will suit us best.

ijohn

Jan 17, 2024
Visit site
I picked up an R-N800A from Safe & Sound last month; $950 for a customer return, plus 18 months 0% financing! Easy decision.
Prior to my purchased, I researched options from Denon, Marantz, SVS, Bluesound, Cambridge, NAD, Onkyo, Arcam, and Audiolab, My primary deciding factors were the high power rating, YPAO, and previous great experience with a little Yamaha AX-400U integrated amp that performed well for over 30 years. I'm running some near-vintage Hales Design Group Revelation 2 loudspeakers. My primary music source is a coaxial-connected WiiM Pro AirPlay 2 Receiver to which I Chromecast Apple Music lossless files from my Android-based Samsung Galaxy S22.

I'll be transparent in that I'm just getting back into critical listening, and the previous components I was using (the aforementioned AX-400U, a Hafler CD player, and Pinnacle P6+ speakers) were not nearly at the level of what I'm using now. So my frame of reference is limited. That said, I love the R-N800A and would enthusiastically recommend it. It has wonderful quality sound, great build quality, and it has no troubles driving the 6 ohm Hales. It's also relatively compact from front to back. (A number of options were simply too deep for the TV stand on which this receiver sits.)

But the real difference maker for me is the YPAO. My listening space is FAR from ideal. The speakers are only about 5' apart but are 11' from the couch. And they're only a couple of inches off the wall. What can I say? It is what is is. (Thankfully the Hales are acoustic suspension.) The YPOA makes a significant difference in sound quality and soundstage. And the set-up only took about 5 minutes. (Part of which was me thinking, "Is it really this easy??" LOL.)

Two big thumbs up for the R-N800A.

ijohn

Jan 17, 2024
Visit site
Why the h... do you use a WiiM Pro AirPlay 2 Receiver when you have an amp that can do all it can ?
Because I already use Apple Music and I aready had the WiiM. But if you know a better way to get it from Galaxy to the Yamaha, I'm all ears.
Oh, and thanks for the super welcoming tone. You seem like a real swell guy.

ijohn

Jan 17, 2024
Visit site
airplay if theres an app for android or bluetooth
Thanks, gasolin. It looks like that would actually work! I use an exclamation point because none of the Google searches I tried came up this workaround, and the tech I spoke to at Safe & Sound (or was it Crutchfield) didn't know that.
Unfortunately, AirPlay is $9 bucks a month. And since I already own the WiiM, I'll just stick with that route.
Still this is VERY helpful for fellow Android pariahs who are researching network receivers. 👏👏

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
Because I already use Apple Music and I aready had the WiiM. But if you know a better way to get it from Galaxy to the Yamaha, I'm all ears.
Oh, and thanks for the super welcoming tone. You seem like a real swell guy.
Airplay 2 will not do 24 bit (except to certain Home Pod's) so you will never get the full res. available from Apple Music.
I would ditch the Galaxy and/or switch to another streaming service that you could select from inside the MusicCast app. This would allow you to stream directly from your hub. to the amp.
I use MusicCast on my old iPhone to stream Qobuz directly to my R-N800 which streams at full 24/192 when available.
Tidal is not a good option because Tidal MAX res. is not available, you can only stream at 16 bit unless you use the desktop app. (and then you have to use a USB cable from the computer to the amp as AirPlay again downsamples the file).

Reactions: ijohn

ijohn

Jan 17, 2024
Visit site
Airplay 2 will not do 24 bit (except to certain Home Pod's) so you will never get the full res. available from Apple Music.
I would ditch the Galaxy and/or switch to another streaming service that you could select from inside the MusicCast app. This would allow you to stream directly from your hub. to the amp.
I use MusicCast on my old iPhone to stream Qobuz directly to my R-N800 which streams at full 24/192 when available.
Tidal is not a good option because Tidal MAX res. is not available, you can only stream at 16 bit unless you use the desktop app. (and then you have to use a USB cable from the computer to the amp as AirPlay again downsamples the file).

I'm able to Chromecast to the WiiM via wifi, and the WiiM confirms a 24/192 signal going to the Yamaha via coaxial cable. Do you think I'm losing much fidelity by having that extra link in the chain? I'm loathe to switch to an IPhone.
If I switch streaming services, do I have to make an all new library and playlists, or will one of them import from Apple Music? I'm no Apple devotee, but I am lazy. LOL.

gasolin

Nothing goes into a computer (or streamer wiim) first and out to the amp, ethernet for best connectivity in the amp, the app tidal connect in the amp is used for playing music, you just use a phone or tablet to control tidal

Personally i use my pc so i can have music while watching,listening to twitch

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
Nothing goes into a computer (or streamer wiim) first and out to the amp, ethernet for best connectivity in the amp, the app tidal connect in the amp is used for playing music, you just use a phone or tablet to control tidal

Personally i use my pc so i can have music while watching,listening to twitch
The R-N800 does not have Chromecast built in. The signal path is: internet to Chromecast device to amplifier, same with the WiiM. There is a physical connection between the Chromecast device or WiiM to the amplifier (either optical, Coax or RCA cables).
With a computer there are options. Some of these options involve the stream going to the computer first.
Using the Tidal desktop app you can either stream directly from the internet hub to the amp using Tidal connect or you can go through the computer and send it to the amp (via USB cable or Bluetooth).

TRENDING THREADS