Yamaha R-N1000a vs Cam. Audio CXA61?

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
Does anyone have any experience with the Yamaha R-N1000a vs the Cambridge Audio CXA61?

I was considering buying a CXN V2 to pair with the CXA but the Yamaha would give me everything in one box. There are no hi-fi stores within a 200 mile radius of where I live.

Does anyone have any experience with the Yamaha R-N1000a vs the Cambridge Audio CXA61?

I was considering buying a CXN V2 to pair with the CXA but the Yamaha would give me everything in one box. There are no hi-fi stores within a 200 mile radius of where I live.
No experience with these precisely but sometimes all your eggs in one basket is not a good idea.
That said a lot will depend on what exactly you want in the way of functionality and what speakers you are going to attempt to drive with these amps.

matthewpianist

I would opt for Yamaha. MusicCast is one of the better streaming systems, and Yamaha kit tends to be nicely made and very reliable. I've also head a lot of very nice sounding Yamaha kit.

As always, audition before you spend that kind of money, and also give some thought to @gasolin's suggestion.

Reactions: Al ears

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
Good advice, thanks.
As a musician I'm a big fan of Yamaha too, they typically make excellent products, but then so does Cambridge Audio.
I've been using an R-S300 for years and it's served me well.
If you add a CXN V2 to the price of the CXA it's almost the same price as the R-N1000 which is selling here in USA for $1,550 plus tax.
Hard to audition here in the middle of Kansas, but I have found a couple of Yamaha stockists in town.

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
I tried a WiiM Pro plus but sent it back.
Using the CXA's USB input from a computer (Tidal hi fi with 'exclusive' mode on) the CXA sounds better to my ears.
There's more to the digtal to analog conversion than just the DAC chip used. The design of the board and how it interfaces with the rest of the amp has to be considered.
Don't get me wrong, the WiiM is very good, but as I've settled on just Tidal for now I don't need all of it's features. I also loved the WiiM app. If I was using multiple streaming services I woud have kept it (one of the few streamers that plays well with Amazon Music).
I will most likely be getting a CXN V2 very soon, which will suit my needs better (XLR outs are something I could use).

Using the CXA's USB input from a computer (Tidal hi fi with 'exclusive' mode on) the CXA sounds better to my ears.
There's more to the digtal to analog conversion than just the DAC chip used. The design of the board and how it interfaces with the rest of the amp has to be considered.
Don't get me wrong, the WiiM is very good, but as I've settled on just Tidal for now I don't need all of it's features. I also loved the WiiM app. If I was using multiple streaming services I woud have kept it (one of the few streamers that plays well with Amazon Music).
I will most likely be getting a CXN V2 very soon, which will suit my needs better (XLR outs are something I could use).
It sounds like you’ve moved on from the Wiim, but I saw earlier today they’ve launched a version, complete with a chip amp - 60wpc - for £299 retail in the UK.

I nevertheless choose a Cambridge with excellent support and warranty from RS any day.

gasolin

Why not a Cambridge Audio AXN10 or MXN10 (difference is size)

rainsoothe

I'd get the CXN and upgrade the amp in a few years, but that's just me. Try to audition the Yammie, see if you like how it sounds, Yamaha amps sound a bit thin to me.

And also, I'd get the CXN v2 used, but I don't know the price for a new one nowdays, might be cheap enough to compete with the sh market.

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
I got a deal on the R-N800 and it's pretty spectacular for $1,050.
The CXA has been returned... great sound but lacking in features.
Adding an MXN10 would have made it more expensive than the R-N800 and still not as feature laden. Worst part of the CXA was the 'flimsy' 3.5mm headphone socket (only a matter of time before it came loose using an adapter) and no way to use the pre-outs to a headphone amp. I did love the big toroidal transformer though...the CXA also looks very understated and classy.
I'm pretty sure that when WHF gets to do a review on the Yamaha next year it's going to be a best buy... it's that good.
As a musician, I have used all kinds of Yamaha products over the years and they generally never fail to impress.. even their budget guitars are great.
Incidently, this is replacing a Yamaha R S300, which was budget when I purchased it, but still sounds pretty good and will continue to be used in my home studio to drive some small passive monitors (a great way to check mixes on an 'average' system).

I got a deal on the R-N800 and it's pretty spectacular for $1,050.
The CXA has been returned... great sound but lacking in features.
Adding an MXN10 would have made it more expensive than the R-N800 and still not as feature laden. Worst part of the CXA was the 'flimsy' 3.5mm headphone socket (only a matter of time before it came loose using an adapter) and no way to use the pre-outs to a headphone amp. I did love the big toroidal transformer though...the CXA also looks very understated and classy.
I'm pretty sure that when WHF gets to do a review on the Yamaha next year it's going to be a best buy... it's that good.
As a musician, I have used all kinds of Yamaha products over the years and they generally never fail to impress.. even their budget guitars are great.
Incidently, this is replacing a Yamaha R S300, which was budget when I purchased it, but still sounds pretty good and will continue to be used in my home studio to drive some small passive monitors (a great way to check mixes on an 'average' system).
There's nothing flimsy about a 3.5mm socket, only the clumsy attempting to use one, in my opinion.
I find it difficult to follow anyone who purchases something then moans about lack of features.
Cambridge slaggiing for a reason perhaps?

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
There's nothing flimsy about a 3.5mm socket, only the clumsy attempting to use one, in my opinion.
I find it difficult to follow anyone who purchases something then moans about lack of features.
Cambridge slaggiing for a reason perhaps?
I use headphones a lot and have worked in pro audio (studio's/live etc). Stuff gets 'snagged' and 'pulled on' a lot and having an adapter in a small hole can do a lot of damage fast. e.g. guitar leads get ripped out of amps (and they are pretty sturdy). 'Pro' gear deserves 'pro' connectors, 3.5mm jacks are for cell phones and mp3 players.
Not slagging anyone... are you in fact an AI 'bot' that reads and auto responds to posts?
I also pilot transport category aircraft... can you imagine a 3.5mm jack for our headsets and Oxy mask mics? They wouldn't last a week!

Reactions: gotnoname
I use headphones a lot and have worked in pro audio (studio's/live etc). Stuff gets 'snagged' and 'pulled on' a lot and having an adapter in a small hole can do a lot of damage fast. e.g. guitar leads get ripped out of amps (and they are pretty sturdy). 'Pro' gear deserves 'pro' connectors, 3.5mm jacks are for cell phones and mp3 players.
Not slagging anyone... are you in fact an AI 'bot' that reads and auto responds to posts?
I also pilot transport category aircraft... can you imagine a 3.5mm jack for our headsets and Oxy mask mics? They wouldn't last a week!
It could be that the Cambridge headphone jack is there for exactly the reasons you state.
If you simply must have a large jack facility then sending it back was all you could do but surely you noticed this before you bought it.
And no, I am not an AI bot..... :cool:

sl1200

Nov 26, 2023
Visit site
I'm trying to decide between the Yamaha RN 1000a and the NAD3050 with BLuOs module. Any advice/ experiences here? Apart from the looks (we like the NAd better) and the price (Yamaha is cheaper atm). Will be used with turntable, streaming from Apple Music and for Tv sound. Speakers are B&W CDM-NT. I like some power, but it's important that it also performs well and detailed at lower volume.

SteveR750

I'm also looking at a R-N1000A, as an upgrade from my A-S501. It's essentially an A-S801 innards with the added receiver inputs, and a bargain at £1300. The R-N2000A is on another level though, the power amp section lifted from the A-S1200 and a decent phone and DAC stage. That said, I'm also intrigued by a used A-S1000, which is essentially a 1200 without the DAC. I've got a Wiim Pro Plus, and the DAC in that is fine for everything I want to listen to.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts