Got a deal on a Yamaha R-N800a... it's amazing

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
I'm able to Chromecast to the WiiM via wifi, and the WiiM confirms a 24/192 signal going to the Yamaha via coaxial cable. Do you think I'm losing much fidelity by having that extra link in the chain? I'm loathe to switch to an IPhone.
If I switch streaming services, do I have to make an all new library and playlists, or will one of them import from Apple Music? I'm no Apple devotee, but I am lazy. LOL.
I can't see why you would loose any fidelity. The WiiM is picking up the stream and sending the digital info to the amp. and you're using the R-N800's DAC.
Libraries and playlists are specific to each service and your account with that particular service.
The 24 bit Ultra Hi Res concept is IMHO somewhat of a scam anyway (so that streaming services can just charge more for their product). Well recorded, mixed and mastered content sounds fabulous in 16 bit CD quality. A lot of modern 'popular' music is so badly mastered (due to the loudness wars) that it often seems to sound worse in 24 bit.
Unless you have an ultra expensive system in a treated listening room and are listening to well produced material the average joe is not going to hear any difference.

Reactions: DougK1

SteveR750

But the real difference maker for me is the YPAO. My listening space is FAR from ideal. The speakers are only about 5' apart but are 11' from the couch. And they're only a couple of inches off the wall. What can I say? It is what is is. (Thankfully the Hales are acoustic suspension.) The YPOA makes a significant difference in sound quality and soundstage. And the set-up only took about 5 minutes. (Part of which was me thinking, "Is it really this easy??" LOL.)

Two big thumbs up for the R-N800A.
I have a Yamaha A-S501 and it works fine forme, but I also have a really poor room, and use a sub. I've done some crude correction with a PEQ in Roon and also my WiiM pro plus, but YPAO sounds like a great add on. I'm seriously considering swapping the 501 fir the 800A, though have no need for music cast.

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
8 or 4 ohm settings ?

Current speakers 6 ohm goes down to 4.1 ohm, as i remember 8 ohm gives more power on nad amps (it's on the amp not remote control)

View attachment 5998
Adjusting the volume on the remote vs the amp makes no difference as to how an amp. is setting it's power output.

Re: speaker impedance, an article worth reading:

It's often best to leave it at 8 ohms regardless of the speakers connected unless they are 4 ohms or less (which most cheaper amps are not certified for use with anyway).
Many amps. don't even have an impedance switch as the manufacturer was able to pass the safety standards testing required by the consumer electronics regulatory authorities without it.

All the 'low impedance' setting switch does is limit the power output to prevent overloading/overheating the amp. Using it can actually degrade the sound, even at medium output settings (introducing harmonic distortion and even clipping if you turn the volume up too much).
The sign of a compromised amp. design is the inclusion of a speaker impedance switch, it's usually there because the power transformer, power caps and heat sinks are weak.

We often read in magazine reviews that a certain pair of speakers are great but need 'careful pairing' to produce their best sound. It has much to do with the facts in the above article.
There are no standards set to measure amplifier output or speaker loads under real world conditions.

Last edited:
Reactions: gasolin

gasolin

Adjusting the volume on the remote vs the amp makes no difference as to how an amp. is setting it's power output.

It's the impedans setting you have to do on the amp not the remote, it doesn't work using the remote

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
Help me, im surprised of how negative the review of the r-n1000a by Tharbamar on youtube is compared to Andrew Robinson
I find Andrew Robinson and his 'sidekick better half' somewhat annoying. They have perfected the art of audio journalist doublespeak.
I would say Tharbamar's review is pretty accurate and more real.
The 1000a is currently $1,799. I can't see how just a handful of upgraded components is worth the extra 600 bucks over the 800a.
The 800a was (a few weeks ago) dropped in price to $999 on Yamaha's own web site (it's now back to $1,199) I think it's a great buy for an 'all in one box' even at 1,199.
Yes, the speaker connectors are somewhat flimsy (they are the exact same components that Yamaha used on my old $300 R-S300).
Yes, there is a difference in sound depending on which digital source you use and how you stream it to the amp.
Yes, the 800a (although not underpowered) is not as powerful as the Cam. Audio CXA61 was (with my speakers). The 800a drives my QA 3050's fine, but I hardly had to turn up the CXA61's volume knob much at all to get the same listening level.
I believe that Cam. Audio severly under specs their power output ratings , just like BMW used to under spec their BHP ratings back in the day (there was a time when they didn't publish them at all).
Neither the 800a nor the 1000a employ a toroidal transformer which, in my opinion, would improve their performance. At their price point I think they should. You have to pay $4,000 for the R-N2000 to get that feature.

I mostly stream Qobuz UPnP using the MusicCast app. The same songs streamed via USB from my MacBook to the 800a's USB in do sound different. Neither one is better or worse, just different.

Incidentally, streaming from the MacBook using Bluetooth or Airplay is actually very good, despite the theoretical downsampling.

I get tired of hearing folks talk about "does such and such a piece of gear have a better DAC than such and such a make/model"... most of these AKM/ESS/Wolfson chips that are installed in budget/mid priced gear are cheap 50 cent components. It's not about the DAC but the entire design of the digital board and the streaming chips (and how they are interfacing with the analog pre amp stage).

Of course, you own the R-N600a which is not the same amp as the 800/1000a but you seem very happy with it?

Last edited:

gasolin

QA 3050 are somewhere around 90-92 db and 6 ohm, i doubut any amp has trouble driving them,making them play loud

Yes, i just wish i could change the power cable as a tweak (supra power cables are very reasonable priced, 50-60 euros)

Help me, im surprised of how negative the review of the r-n1000a by Tharbamar on youtube is compared to Andrew Robinson
I can’t help, as I hate most YouTube reviewers! Such waffle, spun out to great length.

However, this looks pretty objective. Yamaha don’t often make duffers.

gasolin

Can be dangerous to read reviews especially if it's a bad review of a product you have or something similar

Then you might listen to something you didn't noticed before and therefor wants to change that

I for one noticed that dynamics might not be perfect, explosions (was watching jurassic world dominion) might sound a little soft not going form a normal level to a high peak level for a split second

Last edited:

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
Can be dangerous to read revoiews especially if it's a bad review of a product you have or something similar

Then you might listen to something you didn't noticed before and therefor wants to change that

I for one noticed that dynamics might not be perfect, explosions (was watching jurassic world dominion) might sound a little soft not going form a normal level to a high peak level for a split second
Anyone who is that susceptible to sensory auto suggestion is a marketing departments dream come true.

Fandango Andy

I've been waiting for the Yamaha R-N800a to come available again here in the USA for a while and it did so just in the nick of time (for me anyway).
I had purchased a CXA61 but it has gone back.
The Yamaha is really quite something in terms of features, looks and sound. In many ways I think it surpasses the CXA in terms of overall sound quality.
 Bear in mind that to get the same features as the R-N800 you would have to buy the CXA and a MXN10 which would cost around the same as the Yamaha.
The Yamaha is much more forgiving of badly recorded and badly remastered music (which seems to be around 70% of what is out there these days)... it somehow washes over the digital nastiness and turns a bad recording into a very smooth and detailed presentation (almost analog sounding)! The CXA just plays it the way it is... with no whitewash! (that's great, but can get a bit fatiguing and somewhat frustrating at times). Playing something well mastered through the Yamaha results in it excelling... with a clear, well balanced, rhythmic and spacious sound stage.
BTW I'm using Q Acoustics 3050s and various pairs of phones (AKG K701's Sony MDR7506's etc.) and streaming Tidal premium.
Even streaming with bluetooth sounds excellent (better than the CXA IMHO) even though the Yamaha only has BT 4.2
The Music Cast app is good (and intuitive) and even the YPAO has a use (I thought that it would be just a gimmick). However, be advised, YPAO can only be 'on' if Pure Direct is 'off'.
The only snag so far is that, although Music Cast supports Tidal connect, there is a small Tidal issue: Using Tidal connect in the desktop app. (on a Mac) results in the stream not being at full resolution (even when a MAX/FLAC stream is available). Clicking on 'Sound Output' reveals 'Tidal connect' (with the name of whatever you called your R-N800) but you only get the HIGH streaming version. Switch to any other out... e.g. bluetooth, and you get the MAX/FLAC version back. 
I'm still trying to figure this out because the first time I tried it I could swear that it was streaming at full resolution! I was able to close the lid of the MacBook and Tidal kept playing (showing that it was just acting as the controller and the stream was going direct to the amp via wi fi).
Tidal e mailed me and stated that "Yamaha is not currently integrated with Tidal". Using the Music Cast app. on my iPhone ('Tidal connect' selected in 'Music Cast') shows a MAX/FLAC playback being sent out. Of course, the 'Music Cast' opens the Tidal iOS app. when you select 'Tidal connect' and so how does that work? LOL 
If anyone can enlighten me please do!!

BTW; I'm currently listening to 'Us and Them' (2023 DSOTM remaster) and it sounds absolutely dreadful. It did through the CXA61 too. What did they do to this album? I was listening to it on vinyl (1976 copy) a few months ago (Goldring GL75 / NAD 3020 / Mission 700's) and I swear that it sounded way better than this!
badly remastered music (which seems to be around 70% of what is out there these days

Not familiar with the amp, but agree with what you say about badly remastered. Recent remasters of older recordings seem to really compress the dynamic range in favour of higher volume.

Jirkas

Mar 23, 2024
Visit site
I heard a moreno j mix and it had to much bass, i adjusted it, the bass was lowered, tuned for better balance, the sound when i use pure direct (bass 0 db) is more midrange heavy and of course more bass, even with music that has a normal level of bass a little loud,high.

The adjusted bass gives more clarity since the bass don't mask the highs so much and lowered it effected the midrange, less warmth,coloured but still have bass

Max power is not super high but adjusted (-25db) so it's not to loud (low sensitive speakers), even with the bass at 0 db it's not distorting, adjusted bass and using that setting, just makes it play full power (-25db not 100% full power) more effordless and cleaner sounding without the bass being to boomy or to low

Lot's of streaming, amazon music,tidal,Qobuz,spotify,napster, 4x digital out and usb on the front, wifi, bt net radio,dab and regular radio (+ a little more)

The new Yamaha network amps are great
View attachment 5783
The Yamaha r-n600a has a very poor quality DAB+/FM tuner from Keystone Seminducor. A big fail, when even the low end ones have a better quality tuner from Fronteir Silicone.

Jirkas

Mar 23, 2024
Visit site
It doesn't matter what you listen to. Someone else wants to listen to the radio and here Yamaha saved a lot and it needs to be mentioned.

Jirkas

Mar 23, 2024
Visit site
But someone wants to listen to the radio via FM or DAB+. You don't need poor quality BT, internet or phone for this. Yamaha simply failed.

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
If high quality terrestrial radio is that important to you then I would suggest that you are in the market for a separate high quality radio tuner, not a budget 'receiver'.
Most manufacturers are not even including tuners anymore as 90% of the population are using net radio.
So, the fact that Yamaha even included one is not exactly a 'fail'.

My 800a's receiver (USA spec.) sounds fine (not that I use it - I can't stand the commercials).

The European DAB+ standard is highly compressed anyway and DAB+ is now reduced to 80 kB (so that they can cram more stations onto the same channel).

Last edited:
Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts