Are headphones like guitars? Obviously NOT!

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
Ever tried bending a guitar over 'yer head?
OK, I just got some Shure SRH1840's and plugged them into my Cambridge Audio CXA61 and they sounded like junk (streaming Tidal Hi Fi from the desktop app on a M1 Mac Air to the CXA's USB 'in' and using Tidal's 'exclusive' mode).
They sounded really bad and I couldn't believe that these phones should sound so muddy. So I downloaded the Tidal app to my 2019 Mac Mini and plugged the phones into my M Audio Air 192/14 audio interface... the 1840's sound absoulutely fabulous.
I'm going to have to re-evaluate what is going on in the living room. Does the CXA61 have a bad headphone amp?

PS How does one delete a post here before it is approved?

Last edited:

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
Funny thing. I just plugged the 1840's into the CXA this morning and they sounded great. Perhaps they needed an hour or so to get broken in?
Boy, these headphones are really nice.
They have the perfect 'combined' characteristics of the AKG 701's (which are a little bass light - but still awesome) and the Sony MDR7506's (which are a tad bass heavy - but still fabulous and bulletproof) and have just been reduced to $399 by Shure USA. And they are super comfy too!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts