Why I sent the WiiM pro plus back

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
I purchased a Cam. Audio CXA61 and some Q Accoustics 3050's. Then I upgraded my music service to Tidal Hi Fi (from Spotify and Amazon music).
The sound from my Mac's USB out (direct to the CXA) with Tidal's 'exclusive' mode on is noticeably clearer and more focused than streaming Tidal connect to the WiiM. I tried both the WiiM's Coax and optical outs to the CXA, the optical was always better and I was using a good quality coax cable.
Don't know if this is a function of the CXA's digital board or not?
Of course, it's a bit inconvenient using a USB cable and placing the laptop near the amp but it's well worth it.
I have an old Google Chromecast music 'puck' knocking around and I did an A/B comparison beween it and the WiiM. As you would expect, the WiiM sounded better (more depth and clarity, the Chromecast is only capable of 16 bit in this case) but streaming Spotify, with it's lossy resolution, there was no real difference between the Chromecast puck and the WiiM (using an optical from the Chromecast).
Using bluetooth from the MacBook to the CXA produces very good resutls too, not fabulous, but overall satisfying for the times that I don't want to use the USB cable... not as good as streaming to the WiiM.
Don't get me wrong, the WiiM is excellent and a steal at the price, but in my case was somewhat redundant.
I'm condidering the Cam. Audio CXN V2 but with my budget amp and speakers I doubt that it would be much of an improvement?

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
hummm many will have you believe all streaming sources sound the same.

But I found the same. Going from the chrome cast audio to my then Mac book pro. BUT the iPad and iphone sounded better. The only problem with my phone is it's not stable and will break down in to white noise in 5 mins.

doifeellucky

You should have connected the Wiim Pro Plus via RCA into your amp to use the better AKM DAC in the plus version. Otherwise you’re just using the DAC in your amp, and the difference between USB, optical and coaxial relates to how the DAC in your amp handles those connections. It has nothing to do with the Wiim.

For convenience you probably just want a Wiim Mini into your amp so you don’t have to connect a cable to your laptop.

Alternatively as you seem to prefer the USB input into your amps DAC you may want to try a streamer with a USB output. You’ll probably have to pay a significant premium for that though.

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
I did try the RCA to the CXA but it actually sounded flat and less detailed than the optical.
I'm noticing that the biggest difference is how well the digital material (music) is mastered for streaming regardless of bit and sample rate. Some music just sounds bad, even from Tidal. Some sounds great, even at 16/44.1.
I'm starting to regret having got rid of my CD's many years ago!
I often wonder who actually prepares all the digital copies that the streaming services use?
e.g. listening to Joe Jackson's 'Body and Soul' (which sounds excellent on CD and did on vinyl too) from any streaming service reveals that it must have been made from a vinyl copy as one can clearly hear vinyl like clicks and pops at times. I'm guessing that the original digital master tape is no longer available or or perhaps it was in the Universal Studios fire in '08.

Reactions: WayneKerr

Hifiman

Apr 17, 2020
Visit site
e.g. listening to Joe Jackson's 'Body and Soul' (which sounds excellent on CD and did on vinyl too) from any streaming service reveals that it must have been made from a vinyl copy as one can clearly hear vinyl like clicks and pops at times.
You must be lucky enough to have bought the original Body and Soul CD before the remaster in 1997 which is renowned for being an abomination of a transfer and which most streaming platforms presumably use. I understand this poppy/clicky remaster is still the CD version on sale currently. In fact, I never understood why Joe Jackson himself did not demand it be fixed, especially since he obviously took so much care to ensure the quality of the original recording.

Reactions: My2Cents

TRENDING THREADS