"Audiophile Vinyl"

iMark

I received an email today from "Music on Vinyl" about their releases for Record Store Day.

They have now started marketing the releases as "180 gram audiophile vinyl". Here's an example of the blurb for a Philip Glass box set.
Screenshot 2020-03-06 at 09.46.17.png

The record companies certainly have found a way to sell digital recordings as an "audiophile" product as an LP with limited Signal to Noise ratio compared to the humble CD.

I have absolutely nothing against listening to LPs. But I'm old enough to remember the switch from LP to CD and we all knew why the CDs sounded better than the LPs: no noise. How good the LP and your equipment, there will always be noise when listening to an LP.

TrevC

I received an email today from "Music on Vinyl" about their releases for Record Store Day.

They have now started marketing the releases as "180 gram audiophile vinyl". Here's an example of the blurb for a Philip Glass box set.
View attachment 959

The record companies certainly have found a way to sell digital recordings as an "audiophile" product as an LP with limited Signal to Noise ratio compared to the humble CD.

I have absolutely nothing against listening to LPs. But I'm old enough to remember the switch from LP to CD and we all knew why the CDs sounded better than the LPs: no noise. How good the LP and your equipment, there will always be noise when listening to an LP.

It makes no sense to ruin the sound quality of digital audio by feeding it into a mechanical device to cut a disc and then try to retrieve the audio from that disc with aniother mechanical device. It can only sound worse than the digital source direct, yet some people swear it sounds better.

Reactions: MeanandGreen

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
It makes no sense to ruin the sound quality of digital audio by feeding it into a mechanical device to cut a disc and then try to retrieve the audio from that disc with aniother mechanical device. It can only sound worse than the digital source direct, yet some people swear it sounds better.

Yep it’s mind boggling what some audiophlies believe.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts