Volume adjustment on ADMs

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
John Duncan said:
Hmmmmm what

Just seems strange to me that every time this brand turns up on this forum for whatever reason, we end up with pages of waffle!. I just hope Matthewpianos question has been answered, that's all.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Richard Allen said:
Just seems strange to me that every time this brand turns up on this forum for whatever reason, we end up with pages of waffle!. I just hope Matthewpianos question has been answered, that's all.

So you're saying a simple YES or NO would have sufficed! :doh:

J

jcbrum

Richard Allen said:
John Duncan said:
Hmmmmm what

Your hope has been realised.

Both lpv and matthew have joined the AVI forum, and received answers direct from the manufacturers, AVI.

Which, of course, is not possible on this forum.

JC

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
jcbrum said:
Richard Allen said:
John Duncan said:
Hmmmmm what

Both lpv and matthew have joined the AVI forum, and received answers direct from the manufacturers, AVI.

JC

Ah, the gospel.

Good. At least it will be un-biased ...

No insult intended JC or Ashley. -

@ Richard Allen, I find it sad too that every AVI thread ends the same way but I think it would be fair to say the cause of this are AJ's rethorics and odd ways of marketing. No other manufacturer seems to have these problems so it really is self-inflicted. Shame as the products I've heard really speak for themselves ... and do a good job at that.

regards

JMacMan

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
drummerman said:
I dont understand this attitude that an active speaker, AVI or not, is an 'exit' product and any desire to change equipment is forever after suppressed...

I couldn't agree more. It's just as easy and tempting to upgrade active speakers as it is with passive speakers.

Possibly....

I'm a great believer in buy right and buy once.

Beolab 9's have been in production since 2007.

To the best of my knowledge, there are no 'Mk II', 'Mk III' or 'RS' versions

My pair are literaly new to me, but are so satsifying in terms of both performance, and as a system to live with, that any thoughts of change are totally absent.

Now, in time I might add a pair of their bigger brothers, the Beolab 5's, but it is highly unlikely that the Lab 9's will be leaving my hands in the foreseeable future.

They really are a speaker to satisfy and live with for life - and there are not many that I've heard over the years that I could say that about.

JB :cheers:

J

jcbrum

drummerman said:
jcbrum said:
Richard Allen said:
John Duncan said:
Hmmmmm what

JC

Ah, the gospel.

Good. At least it will be un-biased ...

No insult intended JC or Ashley. -

@ Richard Allen, I find it sad too that every AVI thread ends the same way but I think it would be fair to say the cause of this are AJ's rethorics and odd ways of marketing. No other manufacturer seems to have these problems so it really is self-inflicted. Shame as the products I've heard really speak for themselves ... and do a good job at that.

regards

It seems to me that's hardly fair criticsm. The fact that every thread ends up the same way, and the lengthly posts involving anti-AVI invective, can hardly be held to Ashley's account.

He doesn't post on this forum, because the moderators won't allow him to do so.

All the lengthly posts, waffle, etc, are generated by the core anti-AVI posters on this forum who seem to make it their personal business to denegrate AVI and defame Ashley whenever they can create an opportunity to do so.

JC

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
jcbrum said:
All the lengthly posts, waffle, etc, are generated by the core anti-AVI posters on this forum who seem to make it their personal business to denegrate AVI and defame Ashley whenever they can create an opportunity to do so.

And you think they do that because, what, it's a laugh or something? Generally speaking people don't get this worked up about something or someone without good reason, if so many people have an issue with Ashley or the way he operates perhaps you should ask why?

matthewpiano

Oh dear, why do things always have to descend into bickering?? The thread stopped being useful some time ago so why not just let it die now instead of the flame wars starting again. Its just the same old arguments, pretty much about nothing, instead of having any sort of helpful debate about different technologies and approaches. What a shame!

For the record, I've found Ashley very helpful and welcoming. I speak as I find.

The_Lhc said:
matthewpiano said:
For the record, I've found Ashley very helpful and welcoming.

Well of course, he wants to sell you some speakers, it would be odd if he wasn't.

I speak as I find.

Most people do.

Well said. :clap:

Personally I don't have any issues with the concept of actives (AVI or any brand), they look a neat solution. The issue I do have is with some active owners with their bullish attitude. We are all very defensive of our set-ups - I'm no different. The active boys take it to extremes. One size does not fit all.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
We are all very defensive of our set-ups

I'm not, my stuff's rubbish! Comparitively at least, it was barely mid-range gear when I bought it 14 years ago, I doubt it compares particularly favourably now (although watching The Doors on BD Sunday night did sound fantastic! I think I benefit from a good room though). It's not a priority for me to update it right now though. I've said previously I like the sound of how the AVIs work, from descriptions I think they'd be the sort of thing I'm looking for, I'm not sure how I'd accomodate the additional power leads though, the current position of the speakers doesn't lend itself very well in that respect.

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Richard Allen said:

So you're saying a simple YES or NO would have sufficed!

Yes, in a nutshell. Matthew came on here, asked a question, JC directed him to the HDD sight, he asked the same question on there and got his answer. Job jolly!!. There is no point in AJ bashing or anything else. Makes us all look stoopid. For the record I have heard the ADM9s, not the new ones and don't give a 'fly' about the upgrades, and they were good. Martin is a genius. Fact!!.

There is no point chuntering on about the same old stuff. As long as the OP got his question answered to his satisfaction, who gives a flyer??. I don't and I'm sure AJ has better things to do with his time.

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Richard Allen said:
I'm sure AJ has better things to do with his time.

Yeah but he's not here, so it's not affecting him.

Lhc. Think about it. It doesn't have to affect us either does it?. We can just saunter ( that's a nice word ) in our own way without the verbal daggers, that's all I meant.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Richard Allen said:
The_Lhc said:
Richard Allen said:
I'm sure AJ has better things to do with his time.

Yeah but he's not here, so it's not affecting him.

Lhc. Think about it. It doesn't have to affect us either does it?. We can just saunter ( that's a nice word ) in our own way without the verbal daggers, that's all I meant.

You could apply the same philosophy to every thread but where would the fun be in that?

The_Lhc said:
plastic penguin said:

I'm not sure how I'd accomodate the additional power leads though, the current position of the speakers doesn't lend itself very well in that respect.

Indeed. Call me old fashioned but I like to be practical: Once I add in a preamp to accommodate all my analogue sources, and perhaps a phono stage if the preamp doesn't have one, and due to the fact I would need a sub, that initial £1400 sounds less appealing.

Richard Allen said:
CnoEvil said:
Richard Allen said:

So you're saying a simple YES or NO would have sufficed!

Yes, in a nutshell. Matthew came on here, asked a question, JC directed him to the HDD sight, he asked the same question on there and got his answer. Job jolly!!. There is no point in AJ bashing or anything else. Makes us all look stoopid. For the record I have heard the ADM9s, not the new ones and don't give a 'fly' about the upgrades, and they were good. Martin is a genius. Fact!!.

There is no point chuntering on about the same old stuff. As long as the OP got his question answered to his satisfaction, who gives a flyer??. I don't and I'm sure AJ has better things to do with his time.

When's EB's release date for their new actives? :)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Indeed. Call me old fashioned but I like to be practical: Once I add in a preamp to accommodate all my analogue sources...

You don't need a pre-amp. (Expensive and introduces needless extra circuitry for stuff you don't want like another volume control.)

Just plug one of these into the analogue input on the ADM9s...

http://www.beresford.me/products/TC-7240.html

... it doesn't require a power lead (passive switch box) and costs £69.99 + VAT

Far more compact than your typical 'seperates' pre-amp.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
The_Lhc said:
plastic penguin said:

I'm not sure how I'd accomodate the additional power leads though, the current position of the speakers doesn't lend itself very well in that respect.

Indeed. Call me old fashioned but I like to be practical: Once I add in a preamp to accommodate all my analogue sources, and perhaps a phono stage if the preamp doesn't have one, and due to the fact I would need a sub, that initial £1400 sounds less appealing.

I hadn't even given that aspect any thought to be honest, I'd be using them as part of a surround setup, currently all the sources and amp are off to one side of the room, with longish speaker cable runs to the front speakers, so they'd need to be replaced with RCA runs from the AV amp FR/L pre-out and the stereo sources plugged in directly (I think the sources go to the right hand speaker, which is the furthest away from the rack), so I'd need a 7m optical cable for the Sonos and similar RCA extension cable for the TT (it's got a built-in phono stage, so that's not an issue). The relative sizes of the cables are probably less than the speaker cables I'm using now (quite chunky), so that's not too difficult, it's just more expense.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
You don't need a pre-amp. (Expensive and introduces needless extra circuitry for stuff you don't want like another volume control.)

I'm confused, if it doesn't have a power lead how can it ground a turntable?

chebby said:
plastic penguin said:
Indeed. Call me old fashioned but I like to be practical: Once I add in a preamp to accommodate all my analogue sources...

Far more compact than your typical 'seperates' pre-amp.

And how would this little preamp compare, let's say, to the preamp in a Arcam A65+? Most people have expreseed how important the preamp section is to the overall sound. Or put another way, if someone on the Naim forum was to ask for an alternative to their entry-level £1000 NAC, would you recommend this Beresford?

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
chebby said:

I'm confused, if it doesn't have a power lead how can it ground a turntable?

Maybe through the casing and via the interconnect shielding, back down through the first 'live' box earth?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts