Volume adjustment on ADMs

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Phileas

May 5, 2012
Visit site
john dolan said:
You see Max its you and what you do that gives AVI the bad reputation it has and it is deserved you and your fellow shills only have yourself to blame.

Avi make good products noone ive ever seen says otherwise they are good VFM products but what turns customers or would be customers off from buying them is what your doing now.

AVI carpet bombed the internet when they launched ADM with guys like Darren making 10k posts on many many forums and coming back using different names to keep on doing it.

I have got many seperates i like as im sure have most members here but we dont make 10k posts telling everyone to buy what we bought and tbh if your not on the payroll of AVI anyone doing so must be ill.

Calm down, calm down.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
the record spot said:
I think CnoEvil covered it off earlier. "Yes". The rest is the usual nonsense. On the other hand, you could argue the same about what goes on on your other forum, how many lines are devoted to comments about WHF albeit you're "discouraged" from doing so by the "moderator"? Pots and kettles, pots and kettles.

ROFL etc...

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Disappointing to see that this thread has kept descending into pointless arguing. To be honest, it is all getting a bit distasteful and it would probably be best if it could be locked or allowed to die out.

What disappoints me the most is that I've been around here for some time, and I've tried hard not to upset other members or ride rough-shod over anyone's choices. None of us can say we've succeeded in that 100% of the time, but I'd like to feel I've done my best and that I've also been able to help others in that time. What a shame that on one of the very rare occasions that I ask for some advice/feedback, it is allowed to become another playground. I'm broad-shouldered enough not to be overly bothered, but how must this look to anyone new, just starting to show an interest in hi-fi and AV?

With any hobby there are going to be passionate people about, and I've seen passion on these forums from people of all audio persuasions. Some of this passion has become quite evangelical, often from the less traditional camps such as those who favour actives or those who favour electrostatics. That is inevitable wherever people are trying to get a message heard about something different and it happens in many walks of life. After all this time I would certainly say that argumentative and needling posts come from more than just one camp.

Either we want the forums to be a pleasant and friendly place where audio visual matters can be discussed, allowing space for each other's different enthusiasms, or we just want them to carry on descending into a battleground.

I agree with your general sentiment. However, the only way to see such restraint excercised on a HiFi forum is with a heavy-handed approach to moderation. Human nature is such that neither the evangelicals nor their rivals will back down from a conflict. So no matter how much civility and restraint middlemen preach, only mods can enforce the peace.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
After all this time I would certainly say that argumentative and needling posts come from more than just one camp.

You're right, of course, and I'm happy to hold my hand up and admit I engaged in some pointless needling earlier in this thread. It's the first time I've done it on this forum, and I hope it'll be the last. :spank:

Ajani has made a very sensible and balanced proposal: exercise restraint and show discretion. I'd like to make another: avoid dogmatism. There's no one right way to achieve good reproduction of music.

Matt

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Are we suggesting that people should refrain from suggesting any one manufacturer in an effort to appease another group ?

Adults should be able to filter info they don't need without reacting in a completely irrational way.

Btw, some of the AVI recommender s on here have been very active on other threads where there's not even a sniff of the speakers.

matthewpiano

richardw42 said:
Are we suggesting that people should refrain from suggesting any one manufacturer in an effort to appease another group ?

Adults should be able to filter info they don't need without reacting in a completely irrational way.

This is one of the points I was trying to make.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
richardw42 said:

Nope. Anyone can recommend their favourite brand. The suggestion is merely about how often you should do so, if you wish to be taken seriously.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
John Duncan said:
Oh I dunno - I thought the bit where jcbrum said

jcbrum said:
Your final remark does assume that AVI would be prepared to supply their goods to you, which is not something you should consider a foregone conclusion.

was hilarious.

yeah. Not a particularly helpful post that one. But I think he's got a very dry SOH.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Ajani said:
richardw42 said:

Nope. Anyone can recommend their favourite brand. The suggestion is merely about how often you should do so, if you wish to be taken seriously.

i just think ignoring it, would be better. If people truly want to censor AVI, these threads are spectacularly not the way to do it.

T

the record spot

richardw42 said:

No, but Max showing up yet again and playing his usual card trying to "educate" everyone about the evils of WHF and other magazines should. Particularly after he'd said some months ago that he'd pack it in. Apparently, he's forgotten.

By all means nominate the speakers, I don't think anyone would want that to stop, but some AVI owners do have an evangelical streak in them that we can do without here. I don't come on here to be lectured about how much better active speakers are by anyone who's basically read Google and listened to Ashley James. Sorry, but I can work that out for myself thanks. And I've heard plenty of actives in my time so I'm hardly speaking from ignorance.

Nothing to do with the manufacturer, just one or two who seem to think they're better than everyone else as they're on good terms with the "moderator" of another forum. It isn't difficult really.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
matt49 said:
matthewpiano said:
After all this time I would certainly say that argumentative and needling posts come from more than just one camp.

You're right, of course, and I'm happy to hold my hand up and admit I engaged in some pointless needling earlier in this thread. It's the first time I've done it on this forum, and I hope it'll be the last. :spank:

Ajani has made a very sensible and balanced proposal: exercise restraint and show discretion. I'd like to make another: avoid dogmatism. There's no one right way to achieve good reproduction of music.

Matt

Quite right.

There are two ways 'to achieve good reproduction of music', my way and the wrong way!

T

the record spot

richardw42 said:
i just think ignoring it, would be better. If people truly want to censor AVI, these threads are spectacularly not the way to do it.

What? And let some of the nonsense go untouched? You are active on the HDD forum Richard aren't you? You've read the comments about this place and the people on it over there?

Sorry, but you can't have it both ways. When the tripe dries up or the apologies come, then yes, I'm sure we can wipe the slate clean, but for a supposedly "friendly" forum, it has a very strange way or showing it sometimes.

the record spot said:
richardw42 said:

Nothing to do with the manufacturer, just one or two who seem to think they're better than everyone else as they're on good terms with the "moderator" of another forum. It isn't difficult really.

Agreed: I touched on this a few pages ago.

The other thing that really gets my goat is you can over promote a product. Regardless of the qualities of actives sometimes you just fell like saying "Shut UP!!" Had this years ago with my Beatles and Wings albums: Everyone kept saying how wonderful they were I got so bored with hearing it I sold most of my Beatles collection and never played another track of the Fab four for close on a decade.

There's a place for passive and active set-ups like there is for all formats, digital and analogue. Strange that intelligent people can act like playground bickerers.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
For instance, when AL joined HDD. My first welcomed him, and I said this

AL. Personally I say welcome. I think active discussion is good.
I think any comments made on WHF can stay there, and anything somebody says there shouldn't be baggage they're forced to carry about.
I hope you stay.

Its an Internet forum, I take everything with a punch of,salt and anybody can pretty much claim anything. I could be some electronics whizz, or equally know FA. How would you know. We need to recognise it for what it is and lighten up. And the Max thing, its just too easy to wind people up. Why do people bite.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
richardw42 said:

I think any comments made on WHF can stay there, and anything somebody says there shouldn't be baggage they're forced to carry about.
I hope you stay.
Its an Internet forum, I take everything with a punch of, and anybody can pretty much claim anything. I could be some electronics whizz, or equally know FA. How would you know. We need to recognise it for what it is and lighten up. And the Max thing, its just too easy to wind people up. Why do people bite.

Don't you all go sensible now ... where is the fun in that?

regards

John Duncan

richardw42 said:

I hope you stay.

Its an Internet forum, I take everything with a punch of,salt and anybody can pretty much claim anything. I could be some electronics whizz, or equally know FA. How would you know. We need to recognise it for what it is and lighten up. And the Max thing, its just too easy to wind people up. Why do people bite.

"wind people up"

Funny.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
richardw42 said:
I hope you stay.

So, by the same token, anything that is said in other forums can stay there too?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts