Volume adjustment on ADMs

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
I've said previously I like the sound of how the AVIs work, from descriptions I think they'd be the sort of thing I'm looking for, I'm not sure how I'd accomodate the additional power leads though, the current position of the speakers doesn't lend itself very well in that respect.

£1250 for the speakers and another £600 for some new wall sockets. :grin:

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
chebby said:
plastic penguin said:
Indeed. Call me old fashioned but I like to be practical: Once I add in a preamp to accommodate all my analogue sources...

You don't need a pre-amp. (Expensive and introduces needless extra circuitry for stuff you don't want like another volume control.)

Just plug one of these into the analogue input on the ADM9s...

http://www.beresford.me/products/TC-7240.html

... it doesn't require a power lead (passive switch box) and costs £69.99 + VAT

Far more compact than your typical 'seperates' pre-amp.

And how would this little preamp compare, let's say, to the preamp in a Arcam A65+? Most people have expreseed how important the preamp section is to the overall sound. Or put another way, if someone on the Naim forum was to ask for an alternative to their entry-level £1000 NAC, would you recommend this Beresford?

It's a completely passive switching box and not a pre-amp. It just enables you to switch between more analogue sources than the ADM9's built-in pre-amp provides for.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Overdose said:
The_Lhc said:
I've said previously I like the sound of how the AVIs work, from descriptions I think they'd be the sort of thing I'm looking for, I'm not sure how I'd accomodate the additional power leads though, the current position of the speakers doesn't lend itself very well in that respect.

That'll be a "no" then (not from me, the missus would never allow it)...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Why is everyone treating my suggestion as if it were a pre-amp? It has no pre-amplifer components inside it! No volume control, no power supply no capacitors, nothing except connections and a switch.

The pre-amp is in the ADM9s.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Overdose said:
The_Lhc said:

That'll be a "no" then (not from me, the missus would never allow it)...

You could do a secret 'makeover' when shes away for a nice paid for pamper weekend that you could treat her to. Oh, that'll be another £400.

No-one said this was going to be cheap. :p

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
...Most people have expreseed how important the preamp section is to the overall sound. Or put another way, if someone on the Naim forum was to ask for an alternative to their entry-level £1000 NAC, would you recommend this Beresford?

Any good pre-amp should have low enough distortion for it to be inaudible. If a pre-amp adds anything audible to to sound then it's not very good and should be avoided IMO.

I've never heard any differences between pro audio pre-amps or monitor controllers. They all sound identical IME so it should just be a case of choosing them based on price, functionality and looks.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
chebby said:
Why is everyone treating my suggestion as if it were a pre-amp? It has no pre-amplifer components inside it! No volume control, no power supply no capacitors, nothing except connections and a switch.

Two switches, input and output.

I give up. If PP wants to compare a simple RCA phono switch box with Naim and Arcam pre-amplifiers then fine. I've read how he chooses to connect his existing system together and that's bizarre enough for me without reading about how he now wants to daisy chain more pre-amps on the back of something that already has one!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
The_Lhc said:
chebby said:

Two switches, input and output.

I give up. If PP wants to compare a simple RCA phono switch box with Naim and Arcam pre-amplifiers then fine. I've read how he chooses to connect his existing system together and that's bizarre enough for me without reading about how he now wants to daisy chain more pre-amps on the back of something that already has one!

Does seem a bit odd. I wasn't treating it as a pre-amp btw.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
This is all a bit odd.

ADM's offer a simple minimal box solution for relatively simple systems, if you really need more input facilities and switching options, buy a proper preamp and some more conventional active speakers, should you wish to go down that route.

I know that AVI have, in the past, supplied pairs of 'slave' speakers, with just a single input and nothing else, but I believe they are generally reluctant to do so, simply buy something else, there are plenty of good active speakers out there if you can be bothered to look.

I have been very tempted by a pair of Adam Artist 6 floorstanders with a BK XLS400 sub, this combo can be had for the price of a pair of Red Spot ADM's and a pair of decent stands.

http://www.adam-audio.com/en/multimedia/products/artist-6/description

http://www.bkelec.com/hifi/Sub_Woofers/XXLS400FF.htm

T

the record spot

jcbrum said:
All the lengthly posts, waffle, etc, are generated by the core anti-AVI posters on this forum who seem to make it their personal business to denegrate AVI and defame Ashley whenever they can create an opportunity to do so.

JC

Pots and kettles JC, pots and kettles.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
jcbrum said:
The fact that every thread ends up the same way, and the lengthly posts involving anti-AVI invective, can hardly be held to Ashley's account.

I agree. Ashley's comments merely started the Anti-AVI stance on this site and got him banned.

HOWEVER, it is the actual AVI supporters who cause the current Anti-AVI stance. The reason they get "attacked" and refered to as "Spammers" is simply because many forum members find them extremely annoying. They use virtually every opportunity available to push their prefered brand (AVI) rather than just occasionally recommending AVI.

It's not complicated; just because you can plug an AVI product in most HiFi threads, doesn't mean you should. Try a little restraint and you might be suprised at how much more willing forum members would be to embrace AVI.

john dolan

Dec 20, 2008
Visit site
AVI forum and many of its members seem to love to slag off rival products and rival forums and members with this very forum often the target so its a bit rich to come over all butt hurt when they get some stick back.

Strange how many of the AVI forum members who slag off WHF are members here and always first to post you need ADM in so many threads and a few keep coming back with new identities then they go back to bashing WHF again on the AVI forum.

T

the record spot

john dolan said:
AVI forum and many of its members seem to love to slag off rival products and rival forums and members with this very forum often the target so its a bit rich to come over all butt hurt when they get some stick back.

Strange how many of the AVI forum members who slag off WHF are members here and always first to post you need ADM in so many threads and a few keep coming back with new identities then they go back to bashing WHF again on the AVI forum.

Yes, very two-faced and I've zero time for it for those to whom it applies.

A

Anonymous

the record spot said:
john dolan said:

Yes, very two-faced and I've zero time for it for those to whom it applies.
There's only one AVI forum member who keeps coming back with new identities, and that's me (Max).

I don't speak for anyone else, but IMO, when manufacturers, advertisers and reviewers blatantly lie about certain products abilities, they deserve to be called out for doing so.

Or do you think WHF lying to their readers is a good thing?

Speak up now, no point being all righteous when it suits, you gotta be that way all the time.

john dolan

Dec 20, 2008
Visit site
You think max is the only AVI shill that comes back to forums using different names

https://sites.google.com/site/dikdolan/WhatHi-FiSoundandVision-Bestwaytospe.mht

https://sites.google.com/site/dikdolan/WhatHi-FiSoundandVision-Questionrene.mht
santino.b.it is Darren

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
john dolan said:
You think max is the only AVI shill that comes back to forums using different names

santino.b.it is Darren

Err... that was 5 years ago.

A

Anonymous

john dolan said:

santino.b.it is Darren
I beg your pardon but I'm not a shill. I pop up here to try to make decent people see that they're being taken for a ride, not to promote any brand.

EDITED BY MODS - HOUSE RULES

T

the record spot

Oh spare me the crusade. When you and your ilk get off bashing people ad infinitum and being so two faced about it, then you might get some mileage out of this place. Best contributor from the AVI forum here has been Jonboi - intelligent posts that recognise the values of both hobbies and doesn;t belittle anyone. Would that that perspective was passed on.

EDIT: Oh hang on, three posts...? I wonder who this could be?

john dolan

Dec 20, 2008
Visit site
You see Max its you and what you do that gives AVI the bad reputation it has and it is deserved you and your fellow shills only have yourself to blame.

Avi make good products noone ive ever seen says otherwise they are good VFM products but what turns customers or would be customers off from buying them is what your doing now.

AVI carpet bombed the internet when they launched ADM with guys like Darren making 10k posts on many many forums and coming back using different names to keep on doing it.

I have got many seperates i like as im sure have most members here but we dont make 10k posts telling everyone to buy what we bought and tbh if your not on the payroll of AVI anyone doing so must be ill.

T

the record spot

Hey, why don't you go onto all the other forum sites and do the same there too? It's the usual tired crusade from a bunch of guys who whine about a variety of other manufacturers and often with no knowledge of the products they're slagging off.

Such as the £4000 Audio Desk Vinyl that one poster on the HDD Audio forum cited and ripped into. Until Bull Ed piped up and based on his personal experience having used it and it was as good as it was claimed. Oops. The response? The previous poster could think of other things to spend their money on.

Precisely; it's a consumer choice based on consumer wants/preferences/needs. Lawt time I saw, it was a free country too.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Quite, quite brilliant. Not read the pages of responses but a person asks about something to do with AVI ADMs and we get to 160 odd replies.

I wonder how that happened? :?

I thought the originator was quite specific with, "A quick question for owners of the AVI ADM9.1RS". Clearly not. :O

T

the record spot

I think CnoEvil covered it off earlier. "Yes". The rest is the usual nonsense. On the other hand, you could argue the same about what goes on on your other forum, how many lines are devoted to comments about WHF albeit you're "discouraged" from doing so by the "moderator"? Pots and kettles, pots and kettles.

matthewpiano

Disappointing to see that this thread has kept descending into pointless arguing. To be honest, it is all getting a bit distasteful and it would probably be best if it could be locked or allowed to die out.

What disappoints me the most is that I've been around here for some time, and I've tried hard not to upset other members or ride rough-shod over anyone's choices. None of us can say we've succeeded in that 100% of the time, but I'd like to feel I've done my best and that I've also been able to help others in that time. What a shame that on one of the very rare occasions that I ask for some advice/feedback, it is allowed to become another playground. I'm broad-shouldered enough not to be overly bothered, but how must this look to anyone new, just starting to show an interest in hi-fi and AV?

With any hobby there are going to be passionate people about, and I've seen passion on these forums from people of all audio persuasions. Some of this passion has become quite evangelical, often from the less traditional camps such as those who favour actives or those who favour electrostatics. That is inevitable wherever people are trying to get a message heard about something different and it happens in many walks of life. After all this time I would certainly say that argumentative and needling posts come from more than just one camp.

Either we want the forums to be a pleasant and friendly place where audio visual matters can be discussed, allowing space for each other's different enthusiasms, or we just want them to carry on descending into a battleground.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts