Volume adjustment on ADMs

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

John Duncan

lpv said:
chebby said:
lpv said:
btw.. who is john duncan and why he is soo stressed? ( not interested really)

He is online and contributing regularly to this thread. So why are you asking about him in the third person whilst he's 'standing in the room' so to speak?

sorry, I meant jcbrum user and his comments. I do appologies mr duncan.

aHA.

Well, that's a very different question, and a very good one :)

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
John Duncan said:
lpv said:
chebby said:
lpv said:
btw.. who is john duncan and why he is soo stressed? ( not interested really)

He is online and contributing regularly to this thread. So why are you asking about him in the third person whilst he's 'standing in the room' so to speak?

sorry, I meant jcbrum user and his comments. I do appologies mr duncan.

aHA. Well, that's a very different question, and a very good one :)

How long have you had your secret shiny box (so to speak) JD?

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
the record spot said:
I'd also add Genelec to the list. They have a sleek contemporary design that will fit well in the home. All you need to add is a preamp with a DAC and you're done. Love their sound and heard several models across the range up to the 8040a. Very musical, even the entry level 20-watt model.

I found the Genelec speakers are a bit more forward sounding while the Quested speakers were more laid back and smooth with AVI (ADM9T model) coming somewhere in between the two. All three manufacturers make equally exellent speakers IMO but they do have slightly different characters.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
chebby said:
Whether written in jest or not, how does someone - who only owns a pair of their speakers and has no position or authority or remit - speak for the company itself regarding any point of customer policy?

i don't know either

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
BenLaw said:
richardw42 said:
You do know he's taking the mick Don't you. ?

Please say you do.

A big portion of AVI sales are overseas. Now have a think.

Thanks. Now you've told us that I am quite literally pissing my pants at the devastating wit and repartee jcbrum has demonstrated. Hahahahahahahaha.

never said it was funny

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
drummerman said:
I dont understand this attitude that an active speaker, AVI or not, is an 'exit' product and any desire to change equipment is forever after suppressed...

I couldn't agree more. It's just as easy and tempting to upgrade active speakers as it is with passive speakers.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
richardw42 said:
BenLaw said:
richardw42 said:

Please say you do.

Thanks. Now you've told us that I am quite literally pissing my pants at the devastating wit and repartee jcbrum has demonstrated. Hahahahahahahaha.

never said it was funny

Not blaming you.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
BenLaw said:
richardw42 said:
BenLaw said:
richardw42 said:

Please say you do.

never said it was funny

Not blaming you.

:)

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
John Duncan said:
A secret shiny box

? ? ?

heels_zps16f4a227.jpg

char_lotte

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Ben/John.......

Just a quick one.......did either of you ever listen to that Pet Shop Boys session at the Beeb?.

As you were gentlemen.......

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Not that one in particular.

But listening to old recordings of PSB, and the way they do the same songs now. Much prefer now. Same goes for Erasure.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
char_lotte said:
Ben/John....... Just a quick one.......did either of you ever listen to that Pet Shop Boys session at the Beeb?. As you were gentlemen.......

I did and I enjoyed, thank you :) It also spurred me on to listen to Elysium (a few times) for the first time. It doesn't have any standouts like some of their best classics but is a really polished and entertaining album. The gaga pisstake is amusing. Looking forward to the new album in July now :)

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Yes, but does that mean the new model is bigger and thus giving extra bass extension?

What would be the sensible amount to spend a preamp?

Newer drivers for the extra bass extension.

Depending on inputs required, any thing up to a grand should get something competent, although I used a DACmagic Plus with my Dynaudios and that was perfect for the job, if lacking a remote. The Audiolab Pre with DAC looks like a good option if using active speakers.

T

the record spot

John Duncan said:
Well, to be fair, it is a matter of public record:

[LINK REMOVED - house rules]

Though I notice that all such qualms disappeared when said customer actually offered cash in exchange for the product. Hey, maybe THAT's the exam!

I do wonder about some threads. Further down that linked page, there is a comment about WHF being a money-making machine. It exists to make money, apparently. It's a business, so presumably, needs to show a profit when turning out its product in order to grow.

This differs from any other business how I must wonder? That question didn't seem to have been asked in the post I read, but did predictably mention "scientific principles" which seems to be an umbrella term used when the detailed knowhow on the topic required is lacking (see also "tertiary qualified engineer").

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
chebby said:
Perhaps AVI is an egalitarian, worker co-operative where all the profit is shared amongst the employees.

Even egalitarian worker co-operatives like to make a profit -- for the benefit of all the workers, of course. 8)

TRENDING THREADS