Volume adjustment on ADMs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Phileas

May 5, 2012
Visit site
matt49 said:
John Duncan said:
Oh excellent, here goes my Sunday...

sorry, JD, it was the exam marking wot pushed me over the edge. It's doing my head in.

I'm very sorry if I came across that way Matt. It wasn't my intention and I used the smiley deliberately to try to indicate my "goodwill".

I habitually respond point by point to what people write so as to be clear.

Having said that, I did sense an underlying "attitude" in your original response and if I was wrong about that then I apologise again.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Ha ha!! Just exploring my options... ...I intend to save for fit and forget system later in the year...

If that happens I'll miss your regular upgrades and the consequent reviews that you post here. It's made for some interesting reading watching your 'hifi journey' over the past couple of years.

Also, I've never noticed any balance issues at low volume with my Neutron system which also uses a stepped analogue attenuator to control the volume.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Phileas said:
matt49 said:
John Duncan said:
Oh excellent, here goes my Sunday...

sorry, JD, it was the exam marking wot pushed me over the edge. It's doing my head in.

I'm very sorry if I came across that way Matt. It wasn't my intention and I used the smiley deliberately to try to indicate my "goodwill".

I habitually respond point by point to what people write so as to be clear.

Having said that, I did sense an underlying "attitude" in your original response and if I was wrong about that then I apologise again.

absolutely no need to apologise. But thanks anyway.

As for "attitude", one man's "attitude" is another man's "perspective".

Matt

matthewpiano

steve_1979 said:
matthewpiano said:
Ha ha!! Just exploring my options... ...I intend to save for fit and forget system later in the year...

If that happens I'll miss your regular upgrades and the consequent reviews that you post here. It's made for some interesting reading watching your 'hifi journey' over the past couple of years.

Also, I've never noticed any balance issues at low volume with my Neutron system which also uses a stepped analogue attenuator to control the volume.

The journey is fun for a while but there does come a point where it becomes too time consuming, too expensive, and quite often too disappointing. I'm ready to end the journey and put the focus where it really should be - on the music. I'm a musician and my interest in hi-fi grew out of my love for music, but unfortunately it has at times almost overtaken the music. I need to rectify that in the next period of my life. Whatever I end up with (more than likely next year now), is going to have to provide me with a satisfying open window for the music.

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
The journey is fun for a while but there does come a point where it becomes too time consuming, too expensive, and quite often too disappointing. I'm ready to end the journey and put the focus where it really should be - on the music. I'm a musician and my interest in hi-fi grew out of my love for music, but unfortunately it has at times almost overtaken the music. I need to rectify that in the next period of my life. Whatever I end up with (more than likely next year now), is going to have to provide me with a satisfying open window for the music.

You're doing the right thing by planning to listen to some ADMs, you won't be disappointed!

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
steve_1979 said:
matthewpiano said:

You've mentioned in the past you dislike bright sounding speakers so I advise that your put Quested speakers on you list too. They have exceptionally high clarity which gives you that 'open window for the music' sound that you're looking for but they're also laid back enough for them never to sound fatiguing.

Personally I prefer the AVI's because they're better value, look nicer and are more convient to use but the Quested's are on a par with them sound quality wise and are certainly worth a listen if you get the chance.

T

the record spot

I'd also add Genelec to the list. They have a sleek contemporary design that will fit well in the home. All you need to add is a preamp with a DAC and you're done. Love their sound and heard several models across the range up to the 8040a. Very musical, even the entry level 20-watt model.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
steve_1979 said:
matthewpiano said:

I dont understand this attitude that an active speaker, AVI or not, is an 'exit' product and any desire to change equipment is forever after suppressed.

One read over at HDD audio (or pro forums where they change speakers often frequently) shows that this is clearly not the case.

A better/newer model comes and most will upgrade.

I personally think contentment is not necesseraly a personality trait but can be learned either through necessity or choice. There is always something better/newer/interesting out there even though the grass is not always greener ... .

regards

+ 2.

I know Matthew is a serial box changer and I can see the logic, from his point of view, in perhaps going a different route. But I fear that a couple of months in and he'll start to question the logic.

If I was start again I would audition actives of some sort, along with all-in-one systems. However, there's more chance of Hell freezing over.

Phileas

May 5, 2012
Visit site
drummerman said:
A better/newer model comes and most will upgrade.

Most? Or some?

I think a distinction needs to be made between upgrading and tweaking.

I think many ADM owners have found that because there's almost nothing to tweak, the desire to do so has disappeared. That doesn't necessarily mean the desire to upgrade has gone.

Also, I think the company ethos has helped some people to stop fretting over things that don't matter.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I've got question regarding AVI ADM 9 remote control. There are ' SUB +' and ' SUB -" icons on handset... are they for switching sub on and off or changing subwoofer volume?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Phileas said:
I think many ADM owners have found that because there's almost nothing to tweak, the desire to do so has disappeared. That doesn't necessarily mean the desire to upgrade has gone.

Am I right in thinking the ADM 9s have had something like 5 upgrades in 6 years......that could keep the temptation to change very much alive?

Phileas

May 5, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Phileas said:

Am I right in thinking the ADM 9s have had something like 5 upgrades in 6 years......that could keep the temptation to change very much alive?

I think there have only been two major redesigns of the ADM9s. The others were, I believe, "retro-fittable" (can't think of the right word) tweaks.

So three models since 2007?

(I'm not sure why I'm bothering to answer because I can see where this thread could be going.)

CnoEvil said:
Phileas said:

In addition, think the lack of analogue connections could be the thorn in Matthew's side.

Phileas

May 5, 2012
Visit site
lpv said:
I've got question regarding AVI ADM 9 remote control. There are ' SUB +' and ' SUB -" icons on handset... are they for switching sub on and off or changing subwoofer volume?

They only have relevance for ADM40 sub-out and, I think, the Neutron 5.1 sub.

They won't control the ADM sub.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Phileas said:
I think there have only been two major redesigns of the ADM9s. The others were, I believe, "retro-fittable" (can't think of the right word) tweaks.

So three models since 2007?

(I'm not sure why I'm bothering to answer because I can see where this thread could be going.)

I appreciate your answer.......I'm not interested in stirring up trouble....I asked because I'm sceptical about the Active route as being the "end of upgradeitus".

If the reincarnations are upgradeable, and are supported beyond their warranty period, then there is little to complain about.

matthewpiano

plastic penguin said:
CnoEvil said:
Phileas said:

In addition, think the lack of analogue connections could be the thorn in Matthew's side.

I thought they have one set of analogue inputs to which I could connect a phono pre-amp.... Am I wrong?

matthewpiano said:
plastic penguin said:
CnoEvil said:
Phileas said:

I thought they have one set of analogue inputs to which I could connect a phono pre-amp.... Am I wrong?

Might be worth reading Andrew's review on Gramophone which includes this:

"...would suggest that any listener whose taste in music involves a large amount of organ or orchestral content would be well advised to consider a subwoofer, whether it be AVI’s dedicated model or one of the many active subwoofers available on the market. Indeed, if I were buying these speakers I’d consider a subwoofer essential, although this does mean we are now thinking about a £2000+ speaker system."

According to the spec sheet: Two digital inputs and one analogue.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts