Volume adjustment on ADMs

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Might be worth reading Andrew's review on Gramophone which includes this:

"...would suggest that any listener whose taste in music involves a large amount of organ or orchestral content would be well advised to consider a subwoofer, whether it be AVI’s dedicated model or one of the many active subwoofers available on the market. Indeed, if I were buying these speakers I’d consider a subwoofer essential, although this does mean we are now thinking about a £2000+ speaker system."

According to the spec sheet: Two digital inputs and one analogue.

Wasn't that the pre 'RS' model though?

Edit: I will probably end up getting the sub, as some of my music has a fair amount of sub bass and I use the system for movies. That said, I don't find these particularly bass light, certainly not compared to any other similar sized speaker. For the majority of occasions they are fine as they are.

Overdose said:
plastic penguin said:
Might be worth reading Andrew's review on Gramophone which includes this:

"...would suggest that any listener whose taste in music involves a large amount of organ or orchestral content would be well advised to consider a subwoofer, whether it be AVI’s dedicated model or one of the many active subwoofers available on the market. Indeed, if I were buying these speakers I’d consider a subwoofer essential, although this does mean we are now thinking about a £2000+ speaker system."

According to the spec sheet: Two digital inputs and one analogue.

Wasn't that the pre 'RS' model though?

Edit: I will probably end up getting the sub, as some of my music has a fair amount of sub bass and I use the system for movies. That said, I don't find these particularly bass light, certainly not compared to any other similar sized speaker. For the majority of occasions they are fine as they are.

Yes, but does that mean the new model is bigger and thus giving extra bass extension?

What would be the sensible amount to spend a preamp?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Just enough inputs for me. (Assuming they still have two optical digital connections.)

One digital for AirPlay (ATV3 or AEX)

The other one for the digital optical (audio) output from the telly. (Takes care of Blu-ray and Humax too.)

And one analogue connection for an FM tuner.

However, that would mean three more interconnects (1 x L & R RCA phonos + an extra optical) and three more mains cables (ATV3/AEX + FM tuner + extra one because both speakers require mains leads).

An FM tuner and an ATV3 would also take up as much space between them as my 'all-in-one'.

So, purely in terms of de-cluttering, ADM9s (despite having their own DAC and pre-amp) would be a retrograde step.

And I would not give up on FM (until it's actually switched off) because... (a) the internet - despite a very reliable and fast cable connection - is not as consistent as FM broadcasts and ... (b) I like it and still use it - almost daily - despite using iPlayer Radio and AirPlay more. Don't care if it's not 'hip' or modern or whatever. It sounds great and is a useful backup if the internet is sh###ed (or iPlayer is down for some reason). Those occasions are rare but can (and do) happen.

I would also have to rip all the wife's CDs to her own iTunes and sync them to her own iPod Touch (she hates smartphones) because she regularly plays her CDs on the system and prefers that to any kind of streaming. So thats another £199 (cheapest new 16GB iPod Touch) on top of the cost of an ATV3 for AirPlay (£99) and a good tuner. (And absolutely no thanks from the wife.)

That's a lot of faffage (and cost and time and clutter) too far, before I even contemplate the £1400 for ADM9s. (Yes, yes I know they 'only cost £700' on ebay BigH but that goes for everything else too. It;'s a given that used hi-fi - whatever it is - costs less than when new.)

This goes for any active speakers (even more so because 'traditional' actives don't usually have DAC and pre-amps built in) but we are discussing ADM9s.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Phileas said:
lpv said:
I've got question regarding AVI ADM 9 remote control. There are ' SUB +' and ' SUB -" icons on handset... are they for switching sub on and off or changing subwoofer volume?

They only have relevance for ADM40 sub-out and, I think, the Neutron 5.1 sub.

They won't control the ADM sub.

ok, so that means there's no way to control bass from remote control?

Phileas

May 5, 2012
Visit site
I think you'll find that many users (some of them classical music listeners) are happy with the bass extension on the ADM9s.

Obviously someone would need to hear them to know for sure.

I found the addition of a sub had a subtle effect on the sense of scale of orchestral music and "air" around instruments, but not an obvious increase in bass.

chebby said:
Just enough inputs for me. (Assuming they still have two optical digital connections.)

The other one for the digital optical (audio) output from the telly. (Takes care of Blu-ray and Humax too.)

However, that would mean three more interconnects (1 x L & R RCA phonos + an extra optical) and three more mains cables (ATV3/AEX + FM tuner + extra one because both speakers require mains leads).

An FM tuner and an ATV3 would also take up as much space between them as my 'all-in-one'.

So, purely in terms of de-cluttering, ADM9s (despite having their own DAC and pre-amp) would be a retrograde step.

And I would not give up on FM (until it's actually switched off) because... (a) the internet - despite a very reliable and fast cable connection - is not as consistent as FM broadcasts and ... (b) I like it and still use it - almost daily - despite using iPlayer Radio and AirPlay more. Don't care if it's not 'hip' or modern or whatever. It sounds great and is a useful backup if the internet is sh###ed (or iPlayer is down for some reason). Those occasions are rare but can (and do) happen.

I would also have to rip all the wife's CDs to her own iTunes and sync them to her own iPod Touch (she hates smartphones) because she regularly plays her CDs on the system and prefers that to any kind of streaming. So thats another £199 (cheapest new 16GB iPod Touch) on top of the cost of an ATV3 for AirPlay (£99) and a good tuner. (And absolutely no thanks from the wife.)

That's a lot of faffage (and cost and time and clutter) too far, before I even contemplate the £1400 for ADM9s. (Yes, yes I know they 'only cost £700' on ebay BigH but that goes for everything else too. It;'s a given that used hi-fi - whatever it is - costs less than when new.)

This goes for any active speakers (even more so because 'traditional' actives don't usually have DAC and pre-amps built in) but we are discussing ADM9s.

Are there any preamps, you know of, that has a built-in phono stage for a turntable?

Phileas

May 5, 2012
Visit site
lpv said:
Phileas said:
lpv said:
I've got question regarding AVI ADM 9 remote control. There are ' SUB +' and ' SUB -" icons on handset... are they for switching sub on and off or changing subwoofer volume?

Not when using ADM9s, no.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Phileas said:
lpv said:
Phileas said:
lpv said:

thank you.. and sorry AVI, no purchase here.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
chebby said:

Are there any preamps, you know of, that has a built-in phono stage for a turntable?

that would be any phono pre amp then.

Theres a few vinyl users over on AVI forum that get on ok.

My TV set up is over complicated, that comes with wanting such a variety of sources. I use my AVR as a pre amp and its all connected to the ADMs with one pair of RCAs. I have plans to simplify it further though.

Its getting like Scanners over here ATM.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
lpv said:
Phileas said:
lpv said:
Phileas said:
lpv said:

i am a little confused. Why would anyone was that control ? It's either right or it isn't.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
richardw42 said:
lpv said:
Phileas said:
lpv said:
Phileas said:
lpv said:

i am a little confused. Why would anyone was that control ? It's either right or it isn't.

.. because some recordings have more bass and the other less :)

Phileas

May 5, 2012
Visit site
lpv said:
richardw42 said:

.. because some recordings have more bass and the other less :)

I don't think adjusting the level of the sub would be ideal for compensating for variable bass in recordings. It only operates up to 100Hz for starters.

J

jcbrum

lpv said:
Phileas said:
lpv said:
Phileas said:
lpv said:

It's probably worth pointing out that the crossover between the ADM9s and their sub is acoustic, not electronic, therefore an electronic control would serve no purpose.

The sub does have level and frequency response setting controls on the back, which are useful in matching it to your room. This is only needed once, upon initial installation.

Your final remark does assume that AVI would be prepared to supply their goods to you, which is not something you should consider a foregone conclusion.

JC

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
lpv said:
Phileas said:
lpv said:
Phileas said:
lpv said:

I'm confused. Separate adjustment of sub level is hardly a common feature on stereo amps so what's the problem?

Edit: beaten to it, had page up for ages.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
jcbrum said:
Your final remark does assume that AVI would be prepared to supply their goods to you, which is not something you should consider a foregone conclusion.

JC

How would they know?

A real name on an order is very unlikely to correlate to any web forum aliases. Even less likely that AVI could 'control' or 'vet' who buys their equipment from a dealer (like Bartletts for instance).

J

jcbrum

I agree about dealers, but in that case, it's up to the dealer to properly advise the customer.

JC

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
jcbrum said:
I agree about dealers, but in that case, it's up to the dealer to properly advise the customer.

JC

So how do AVI 'vet' undesirable customers?

Let's say I click the 'checkout' button on a pair today. How are AVI going to know if I am the sort of customer they want?

John Duncan

jcbrum said:

JC

Really? I thought the point of dealers was to act in their own self interest and stiff the consumer with their margin.

I'm fascinated by this though - is there a form to fill in recanting all previous passive sins? Or an exam maybe? Do tell...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts