Volume Display on Marantz

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
I have a question for anyone who might know the answer. Recently I purchased a Marantz Model 30 Integrated amplifier. When I turn up the volume, the numbers on the display decrease and when I turn down the volume, the numbers increase.
I've tried googling to try and find out if it's designed this way or if it's accidentally been wired wrong but I can't seem to find the answer.
It doesn't matter to me at all, I just wondered if anyone here knows if it's meant to be this way and if so, what's the reasoning behind it or is it a manufacturing fault?

Gray

I have a question for anyone who might know the answer. Recently I purchased a Marantz Model 30 Integrated amplifier. When I turn up the volume, the numbers on the display decrease and when I turn down the volume, the numbers increase.
I've tried googling to try and find out if it's designed this way or if it's accidentally been wired wrong but I can't seem to find the answer.
It doesn't matter to me at all, I just wondered if anyone here knows if it's meant to be this way and if so, what's the reasoning behind it or is it a manufacturing fault?
Just a more professional way of doing it.
They choose to use 0dB as maximum - meaning that any lower level is displayed as a minus dB figure.

Messiah

From the Home Cinema world (so cannot be sure how/if this relates to hifi) I read that 0dB is meant to be the reference level (so what level it was recorded/mastered at) so anything lower than that volume leads to a negative dB and higher volume gives a positive dB (so essentially you know what volume is reference level - but that would be a quite loud in a terraced house! lol).

Geoff P.

Mar 29, 2022
Visit site
I'm sure you're all correct in your explanations of this curious situation.
However, it seems to me to be very unhelpful of Marantz to the average user of a domestic hifi amp.
I'll stick with my ancient Denon DRA-455 receiver - turn the big knob clockwise, it gets louder !!!
GP

I'm sure you're all correct in your explanations of this curious situation.
However, it seems to me to be very unhelpful of Marantz to the average user of a domestic hifi amp.
I'll stick with my ancient Denon DRA-455 receiver - turn the big knob clockwise, it gets louder !!!
GP
most amps get louder when you turn the knob clockwise.....
Mine displays between 0 and 100.....probably because most Americans wouldn't understand inverse scaling and negative dB. :)

Reactions: WayneKerr and Dom

Geoff P.

Mar 29, 2022
Visit site
most amps get louder when you turn the knob clockwise.....
Mine displays between 0 and 100.....probably because most Americans wouldn't understand inverse scaling and negative dB. :)
Al,
You're lucky having a numeric scale !
My old Denon has no numbers, not even a Min/Max - just a marker on the knob ! Aaah - simpler times.
GP ( Brit. )

Reactions: Al ears
How does it compare with the older model?

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
It’s also how you blow up tube amps: not adding any resistance load & turning them on 🙃
I wonder why someone would turn a valve amp on, or any amp for that matter, without first making sure that appropriate speakers and a source into the amp are connected.
A recipe for problems I would think.

I wonder why someone would turn a valve amp on, or any amp for that matter, without first making sure that appropriate speakers and a source into the amp are connected.
A recipe for problems I would think.
But there is a significant difference, because a solid state amp won’t mind if no speakers are connected. However, a valve amp will very likely be damaged with no speakers connected.

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
But there is a significant difference, because a solid state amp won’t mind if no speakers are connected. However, a valve amp will very likely be damaged with no speakers connected.
Oh thanks for enlightening me. I've never risked it because I didn't know that solid state amps are ok in that regard.
I used to own an Orange AD200B. A famous Bass Amp for those that don't know.
I was always very careful with that.

spl84

Jul 17, 2023
Visit site
How do you like that amp? I'm thinking about getting that model or possibly the 40n. It looks like the model 30 has more wattage per channel but the 40 has streaming built in...

Reactions: gotnoname

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts