Question Is it possible to “volume cap” a Quad 405 without pre-amp

AJM1981

I once let go of a Quad 303 (and 33+FM3) before going abroad for over 7 years. I recently thought about buying a 405 and found one in a good condition for little over 200 euro’s.

Little challenge. I already own a streamer / preamp but.. since it’s digital, I don’t always blindly trust it’s volume management.

When opening Spotify it sometimes shoots to 50% volume and that is ok when a max volume can be capped like I do now with the physical volume dial of my Pioneer at 40%, but not a good idea with the quad 405. Let alone if the digital pre-amp’s volume would accidentally shoot up to a 100% having it directly connected to a 405 power amp. I think I might blow some windows out besides our eardrums.

Unfortunately the Quad 44 Pre-Amp is sold separately, but.. in combination with its tuner (all FM tuners followed the way of the dodo in The Netherlands) for 400+ euro’s as a package. And even for half the price I would not really find it worth it to have another pre-amp for only using a volume dial in a fixed position.

I might park the idea of using a classic Quad again in the fridge, unless I can somehow cap the 405 in gain. Then I would give it a second thought.

abacus

If you are having problems with volume jumping, then make sure you have the latest update for it, (It should not be doing that) otherwise there may be a hardware problem that needs fixing. (Faulty volume control for example)

Bill

Reactions: AJM1981

AJM1981

If you are having problems with volume jumping, then make sure you have the latest update for it, (It should not be doing that) otherwise there may be a hardware problem that needs fixing. (Faulty volume control for example)

Bill
Not yet experienced it yet with my current device, but once had it with another digital amp. Even with a smaller to minuscule risk I still want to have a cap somewhere. :)

TRENDING THREADS