help decidint 65'': LG/Samsung/Sony/Panasonic

lorcar

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
hi
i am shopping (in Italy) for a new 65'' oled tv.
Tv will be used for movies, streaming, tv news, amazon prime/netflix, and old movies of lower quality which I have on a separate hard drive. NO GAMES.

I have a preference for the Sony image as it looks more natural. For this reason, at first I had completely ruled out LG, as it looks like a chewing-gum. Issue with Sony: they seem to be way more expensive than competition. If I had the budget, obviously i'd go with the new A95L.

Long story short: after reading a lot, i put the LG G3 back into the mix as everyone says this is the best Oled at the moment. Usually it is compared to Samsung S95C/S90c, even though there are more complaints around Samsung than LG. I ruled out the S95C due to OneconnectBox. So I am left G3 vs S90C, also because I didn't feel confident in buying something older like the Sony A90J. And also the Sony A80L has more or less the same price. On the other hand, the Samsung S90C has a larger price fluctuation, so it might happen to find a good discount, which never seems to happen with Sony.

And then someone else also suggested the Panasonic MZ1500 since it has a terrific image, while during the last couple of days, I read from several users that -no matter what- Sony A90J A80L and Panasonic Mz1500 are still better than any LG or Samsung....so this confuses me even more.

The issues I have are the following:
- gut feeling in the store: i like the Samsung image better than LG, which looks less natural. People though say that LG is closer to Sony (than Samsung is), and also LG is better at managing the low-quality contents.
- in the store, watching normal tv instead of demo videos, LG G3 seemed to be worse than Samsung, despite everyone saying that LG is better at processing low quality. Someone suggested this is not due to LG itself but to the settings
- Samsung: everyone seems to be complaining about QC and their services, so that would attract me to LG.
- Question for you experts: would it be possible to make LG image look more natural and less fake like i see in their demo videos? is it a setting you can modify or it is LG's DNA and therefore no changes allowed?
- I saw a side-by-side comparison on youtube and the "white" (like people' faces for example) looked too white on the LG G3, while more natural on the S90C
- Samsung: i read that their OS is a bit messy and not comparable to the Google system Sony has.

The cost for the A90J and A80L is still slightly higher than or aligned with G3 and S95c. I thought that buying (without a discount) a tv built 3 years ago is silly these days, but I keep reading that the quality is higher, and when i go in megastores to take a look the Sony is clearly the winner. The Panasonic MZ1500 sells for around the same price.

Any recommendation? does it make sense to buy (at full price) the A90J, produced more than 3y ago? Some say that the Samsung have the new panel, so there is no comparison. Others say A90J is a master series and therefore worth it, no matter the age. Other say that the A80 has also some improvements over the A90j, so better to have the newer one even if it belongs to a lower series.

thanks a lot in advance

Remember that regardless of TV brand you choose, all OLED panels are made by LG. The main difference is picture processing quality between TVs. In my experience, Sony, Philips and Panasonic are superior to Samsung or LG. I've got a Sony and love the Android interface. Samsung's Tizen and LG's WebOS are good as well. Philips also has Android in it's higher end models. You don't have to go for the most expensive model as you'll find that picture quality will be comparable to mid range models. Check the features carefully to see what are you getting for the extra money to decide if it's worth the extra outlay. I've had no issues with Samsung personally; got one since 2016 and still going strong without a hiccup. My previous Samsung served me well for 12 years until I passed it on to a friend 3 years ago. It's still working fine.

lorcar

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
Thank you so much.
I agree, however the price range is narrow, sith the S90C being the cheapest.
While older/mid level tv (sony and panasonic) are aligned with latest flashiest G3... therefore not sure i can see what i get for the extra money

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts