Need advice on amp/speaker upgrade, Marantz and Dali Oberon, KEF

SloRick

Mar 5, 2022
Visit site
Hey folks, so I've want to upgrade my system, but getting stuck. I have partial knowledge about these things, but we all know, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
Let me lay it out.
My main device is a Thorens TD 160 record player.
I was running it through a 2nd hand Yamaha AX-397 and KEF 30 Crestas. It was ok, but the sound seemed kind of restrained, lacking vibrance or excitement. So I have just bought a Marantz PM 6007. It sounds better.
However: I also tried a 2nd hand Musical Fidelity x150. That sounded much better, a lot more vibrance and kick. I realize now its also 80watts, compared to 45w on the Marantz.
I've heard that watts don't necessarily matter, but also that the KEFs needs some serious amp behind them.
I've also been considering going for Dali Oberon 5s (my living room is about 4.5 meters square - a normal medium sized apartment room).
So: Should I go for the Marantz 6007 with the Dali Oberon 5s? Good combo?
Or: Return the Marantz (I think I lose 10% if I do that...) and then buy the Musical Fidelity (cost is $400 - seems like a lot for a 15 year old amp, but the sound was good).
-- and in that case could either keep the KEFs, get the Dali Oberon 5s, or somebody else is selling Dali Ikon 6 mkII for $700. (which I am so so on because they seem quite big for my room). The guy at the store also recommend Monitor Audio...

Thoughts? I don't really get how all of these things work together, how good an idea it is to buy used equipment, and how to get a nice lively, vibrant sound (comparing it to my brother in law's system, a Cambridge a81 with bookshelf Bowes and Wilkins, which sounded great.).

Also, one important thing to add: I tend to listen at low volume. Music is rock, jazz, folk.

The other thing is I don't really have any way to try the combinations out together, until I buy them...

Thanks. Appreciate any advice.

S

Last edited:

SloRick

Mar 5, 2022
Visit site
What your ears tell you matters far more than what you might read, especially if you listen at low volumes. If it sounds good to you, that really is all that matters. And whilst floorstanders may be bigger, that doesn't necessarily make them harder to drive.

Thanks. Yeah, I'm just looking for a nice warm sound. Was hoping to do an upgrade of speakers and amp for around 1000 - 1200 euros total.

Happy for any further suggestions, or ideas on how to think this through better. I find myself in a position now of having tried out the Marantz at home, not being happy, and told if I return it I lose 50 euros. Which is quite annoying (especially since in the last two days since I bought it I see it has gone on sale at FNAC for 50 euros less than I paid for it elsewhere...).

robdmarsh

I know FNAC , it's an electronics and media retailer rather than a hifi dealer. They probably don't really let you audition things like a hifi dealer either. That is a pity as I'm pretty sure they would have Denon products and I was going to suggest you hear pma 800ne, which I have. I think this has a more ballsy sound than the equivalent Marantz but without sounding harsh.

Reactions: Al ears

SloRick

Mar 5, 2022
Visit site
That is all you need to know then - a pain to lose 50 euros, but better than losing far more in having an amp you don't care for.
Sure. My problem is that I don't have a way to try things out first.
Would appreciate tips on whats going to be the best set-up for a medium-sized room (4.5 m2), playing a Thorens TD160, old rock and jazz records.
I had thought Marantz PM6007 plus Oberon 5s, but now getting the sense that Marantz PM6007 is going to be underpowered. Have also heard Oberons may need a subwoofer, which I definitely don't want.
One option is used Musical Fidelity x150 plus used Dali Ikon 6/mk2, for about 1100 euros total.
Other option is to go totally new. Open to suggestions! Are Oberon 5s the way to go? If so, with which amp? If not Oberon 5s, I have heard that Monitor Audio and Wharfedale are both good.

Anyway, thanks for your advice, folks!

S

SloRick

Mar 5, 2022
Visit site
It should be, but if you don't think you care for the sound, trying to fix it by changing something else isn't wise. If you liked the MF, return the Marantz and buy that - then consider going from there.
Thanks. The issue is that I don't have the Oberon 5s yet. I am running the Marantz through the KEF Cresta 30s. Sorry for not being clear on that. My concern on the sound is that it's not as vibrant and defined on low-levels as I would like. The Musical Fidelity was better.
I'm guessing that the Marantz will be a better fit with the Oberons. But I guess then the MF will be as well.... :) Or not?
Am I thinking about this correctly?

I meant changing it by changing the speakers. If you prefer the MF sound, it' s a fair bet that you will also prefer it with different speakers. And MF amps tend to be pretty beefy, so you really shouldn't have to worry about diving most sensible speakers.

Return the amp, buy the MF, allow time to acclimatise and see whether that makes you happy - then think about changing speakers if you feel the need/desire.

Would appreciate tips on whats going to be the best set-up for a medium-sized room (4.5 m2)
That’s tiny, or maybe I’ve misunderstood. Do you mean 45 square metres, which is pretty large? Or 4.5 metres long by 4.5 metres wide? If the latter, then square rooms are tricky to get sounding great unless you can put the speakers on the diagonal - that means each speaker is on a different wall, the wall being at right angles to each other.

SloRick

Mar 5, 2022
Visit site
That’s tiny, or maybe I’ve misunderstood. Do you mean 45 square metres, which is pretty large? Or 4.5 metres long by 4.5 metres wide? If the latter, then square rooms are tricky to get sounding great unless you can put the speakers on the diagonal - that means each speaker is on a different wall, the wall being at right angles to each other.
Yes, I meant 4.5 meters long by 4 meters wide. Haven't figured our room placement yet, but that's for another discussion! Right now, I just want to make sure that the Marantz PM6007 (45w) is enough for the Oberon 5s, playing at low volumes, for if I need something beefier (and still around 500 euros)

Yes, I meant 4.5 meters long by 4 meters wide. Haven't figured our room placement yet, but that's for another discussion! Right now, I just want to make sure that the Marantz PM6007 (45w) is enough for the Oberon 5s, playing at low volumes, for if I need something beefier (and still around 500 euros)
you might find the Rotel A11 Tribute offers a bit more power and control if you can stretch your budget a bit more than the cost of the 6007

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site
Thanks. Yeah, I'm just looking for a nice warm sound. Was hoping to do an upgrade of speakers and amp for around 1000 - 1200 euros total.

Happy for any further suggestions, or ideas on how to think this through better. I find myself in a position now of having tried out the Marantz at home, not being happy, and told if I return it I lose 50 euros. Which is quite annoying (especially since in the last two days since I bought it I see it has gone on sale at FNAC for 50 euros less than I paid for it elsewhere...).
I heard its predessor the 6006 last week and it sounded good. What is there not to like? I find less difference between amps than say speakers. Feed the Marantz with a good signal and reassess the situation. Don't get hang up on wattage.

SloRick

Mar 5, 2022
Visit site
I heard its predessor the 6006 last week and it sounded good. What is there not to like? I find less difference between amps than say speakers. Feed the Marantz with a good signal and reassess the situation. Don't get hang up on wattage.
Thanks. Yeah, the amp sounds fine. It's more in combination with these KEFs, which I think need a lot of power for some reason. For that, the Musical Fidelity seemed to have a lot more kick. I guess with newer speakers, like the Dali Oberons, it would be good.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts