USB Cable Experiences Wanted...

inbox4

Aug 27, 2007
Visit site
Does anyone have any experiences of different USB cables they could share?

I have been using a standard printer between my MacBook and Leema Elements DAC. I recently bought a Chord SilverPlus to try and found signifiant differences.

I know there are many threads on this and other forums about how USB cables make no difference but I found the opposite. I thought the Chord sounded more refined than my printer cable which was appealing at first but I have swapped back today as I found the Chord robbed the music of a bit of life in my system.

I would like to find a cable that has more refinement than my printer cable but doesn’t rob the sound of life and spaciousness like the Chord had a tendency to do.

Does anyone have any suggestions based on personal experience (preferable costing no more than £60)?

(I really don't want this thread to turn into a debate over whether USB cables make a difference - just the different options available)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Alears said:
CnoEvil said:
if you want to check this out for yourself, borrow a Vertere D-Fi USB.....if you can find one.

I know where to find one.... but you'll have to pay for it. £92 to you sir! :)

That's too expensive.....they are £70 (expensive enough!) at the most....maybe less: http://www.kronosav.com/vertere-pulse-d-fi-usb-2-0-interconnect-cable-prices-reviews.html

CnoEvil said:
Alears said:
CnoEvil said:
if you want to check this out for yourself, borrow a Vertere D-Fi USB.....if you can find one.

That's too expensive.....they are £70 (expensive enough!) at the most....maybe less: http://www.kronosav.com/vertere-pulse-d-fi-usb-2-0-interconnect-cable-prices-reviews.html

You beat me to it Cnoevil I was about to correct my original post when I realised that I had asked them to quote me for a 1.5m cable. £70 it is, and I know of nowhere cheaper (they were the only distributor I could find).

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Alears said:
CnoEvil said:
Alears said:
CnoEvil said:

You beat me to it Cnoevil I was about to correct my original post when I realised that I had asked them to quote me for a 1.5m cable. £70 it is, and I know of nowhere cheaper (they were the only distributor I could find).

Do I gather it's too expensive for you to give it a try?

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
inbox4 said:
Does anyone have any experiences of different USB cables they could share?

I have been using a standard printer between my MacBook and Leema Elements DAC. I recently bought a Chord SilverPlus to try and found signifiant differences.

I know there are many threads on this and other forums about how USB cables make no difference but I found the opposite. I thought the Chord sounded more refined than my printer cable which was appealing at first but I have swapped back today as I found the Chord robbed the music of a bit of life in my system.

I would like to find a cable that has more refinement than my printer cable but doesn’t rob the sound of life and spaciousness like the Chord had a tendency to do.

Does anyone have any suggestions based on personal experience (preferable costing no more than £60)?

(I really don't want this thread to turn into a debate over whether USB cables make a difference - just the different options available)

USB cables MAY make a difference IF the DAC relies on the cable for its power supply and/or IF the DAC relies on the cable for its timing. Many DACs do either or both, and theoretically the quality of cable MAY make a difference to the final sound quality.

The leema elements DAC supports async USB and does not rely on timing information down the USB cable. The DAC also has its own power supply and isn't USB powered. Finally (and this is not common) the USB connection on the DAC has galvanic isolation, so there is no path for any stray ground noise from your PC to effect the DAC via the USB cable.

I have no idea if the DAC itself sounds any good, but Leema's design and handling of the USB interface seems top-notch. Given this I can see absolutely no possible way a USB cable can make any difference to the sound quality.

Given this fact pattern, any change you perceive is not due to the cable. As suggested above, get someone else to switch it and see if you can still tell the difference.

Rimse

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
It looks that we are in the same camp abaut usb cables.I don't like chord cables sound signature. So furutech formula2 will not fit your taste too.While it seems adds extra bass weihgt at the same time adds ssssssss sounds in voices.I have an itch to make usb cable ,lets say use van damme digi grade cable , just don't find plugs where to buy. :?

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
inbox4... try out the inexpensive Supra 2.0 USB cable...GBP29..it does give a little bit of life to the music especially rock music...not the most detail or refine though...

Ben123

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
Andyjims explanation is the best i've ever read on this forum and is line with what i have experienced after owning several dacs. The important thing is the dacs USB implementation. I love the sound of my beresford dac but its USB implementation is not the best in my opinion so i use optical on that dac. I've even used a cheap usb to optical converter for about £20 and its great. No galvanic isolation needed.

I also have an rpac which offers excellent timing and is very smooth (due to its asyn usb i believe) but im not so keen on the bass light sound and forward vocals (lifes never simple eh).

Im hoping the rega dac will offer me what i want - a full bodied sound (more bass) with great timing (its next on my demo list).

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Rimse said:
It looks that we are in the same camp abaut usb cables.I don't like chord cables sound signature. So furutech formula2 will not fit your taste too.While it seems adds extra bass weihgt at the same time adds ssssssss sounds in voices.I have an itch to make usb cable ,lets say use van damme digi grade cable , just don't find plugs where to buy. :?

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/type-a-usb-connectors/7187218/

Good luck with that.

inbox4

Aug 27, 2007
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your comments. I wll look into all the cables that have been recommended.

Has anyone had firsthand experience of the Vertere D-Fi USB or are recommendations based on What Hifi's glowing review?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
inbox4 said:
Thanks everyone for your comments. I wll look into all the cables that have been recommended.

Has anyone had firsthand experience of the Vertere D-Fi USB or are recommendations based on What Hifi's glowing review?

I have, and I wrote about it as part of a Vertere evening here: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/accessories/an-evening-with-touraj-moghaddam-vertere?page=2

Nb. There are those who think I'm nuts.......and you never know, they might be right. :shifty:

abacus

Musicians, Film Producers, Studio Technicians, scientists, researches, general public, TV Producers and many more, hear no difference between cables, yet some Hi Fi enthusiasts say they do, so what does that tell you.

Curious

Bill

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
abacus said:
Musicians, Film Producers, Studio Technicians, scientists, researches, general public, TV Producers and many more, hear no difference between cables, yet some Hi Fi enthusiasts say they do, so what does that tell you.

You left out university lecturers and milkmaids. Also, it tells me that Hi Fi enthusiasts apparently don't qualify as members of the general public...

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
abacus said:

Curious

Bill

I'm glad we can count on you to keep us right, though the calculator is now the preferred method. ;)

Tariqv

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Eventhough Im new to hifi, one of the first things I did was to compare an oem usb cable with wireworld usb cables, and my was the sound different. The sound was much more detailed, vocals extended, and soundstage increased significantly. Bass was also fuller. Imho you deserve to at least try them for yourself, do not take others' word for it.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
professorhat said:
abacus said:

You left out university lecturers and milkmaids. Also, it tells me that Hi Fi enthusiasts apparently don't qualify as members of the general public...

I think we need a Venn diagram.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
BenLaw said:
professorhat said:
abacus said:

I think we need a Venn diagram.
If you want to find a milkmaid, I think you will need a time machine.

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
abacus said:

Curious

Bill

Bill,

It is wrong to generalise.

A well constructed, thick, speaker cable will sound different to a length of spindly bell flex. The resistance is different, and basic engineering will allow you to predict the changes in speaker response. What isn't different are two speaker cables of the same CSA and copper conductivity, even if one has a silly name and a large marketing budget behind it. Do speaker cables sound different? It depends....

USB cables are the same. Does the DAC rely on the cable to provide a clean, low impedance supply and accurate timing? in which case a poor quality USB could impact sound quality. Is the DAC async and have its own supply, then the USB cable will have no impact. Do USB cables sound different? It depends....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts