A new system for £857 what are you buying?

Fandango Andy

I recently recommended a couple of Mission Loudspeakers (701 & M72) to a forum member to pair with his Marantz PM4200. He went for the M72's. I then posted the image from What HiFi 22 years ago when they used the same speakers with Marantz system (amp and CD player) The overall cast £480 (plus cables).

The Bank of England inflation calculator tells me £480 in 2002 is equivalent to £857 today. Hence the question. If you were starting from scratch and had £857 to spend what are you buying?

Attachments

• 20240502_234304.jpg
    20240502_234304.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 15
I recently recommended a couple of Mission Loudspeakers (701 & M72) to a forum member to pair with his Marantz PM4200. He went for the M72's. I then posted the image from What HiFi 22 years ago when they used the same speakers with Marantz system (amp and CD player) The overall cast £480 (plus cables).

The Bank of England inflation calculator tells me £480 in 2002 is equivalent to £857 today. Hence the question. If you were starting from scratch and had £857 to spend what are you buying?
Do you mean replicating that original system?

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site

Marantz PM6007 + CD6007 & Q Acoustics 3020i @ Richer Sounds is £799
I'd probably go for something like that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Symples and manicm

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
Marantz PM6007 + CD6007 & Q Acoustics 3020i @ Richer Sounds is £799
I'd probably go for something like that.
Not bad for 2 days graft. I guess my salary has kept up with electronics inflation (which is typically quite low) but I can't say the same for most other things (like the cost of housing and utilities).
I was in my local RS on Saturday (exchanging a faulty satellite speaker of my son's monitor audio Mass 300) and I was looking at that very set up. Going into a hifi shop is a very dangerous exercise 🤣

Reactions: Jasonovich

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
Probably something on the lines of the Marantz Melody M-612 with Triangle speakers (£800 approx.)
I've looked at that system in the past but wouldn't know what speakers to partner it with. I was thinking a few months ago of ditching my AV set up and just buying something like the marantz but my family said "you'll regret it" I hardly ever watch anything in surround sound now.

Friesiansam

Agreed, It's the look of Hi Fi.

Luxury Ambiance: High-end audio stores are often designed to create a luxurious atmosphere. Plush carpeting, dim lighting, and comfortable seating all contribute to a sense of exclusivity and refinement.
The luxury ambience will fail with me, partly because I'm a cynical bar-steward but, moreover, because I don’t have the money for a meaningful upgrade.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site

£800+ today doesn't go very far, I would definitely explore the second hand market. Perhaps mix and match with new and used.

I had a quick browse on eBay and I've picked the following:
Disclaimer WiiM Ultra not on market yet but expected to be released in June 2024
Just to add, Peter Tyson 'Nearly New' really means they've been unpacked out of the box. I brought the Dali Oberon 3 £399 nearly new from them and these were in pristine condition, just like new.
DescriptionPriceComments
WiiM ULTRA Streamer and digital media player
£399.00​
Estimated retail Price - distributor Henley's
CREEK AUDIO Evolution Integrated Amplifier
£199.00​
Used
Dali Spektor 2 Bookshelf Speaker - Black
£199.00​
Nearly New
£797.00​
1715003226339.png
1715002895390.png1715003007958.png

Or if you must have a CD Player
, you can replace the Creek EVO Integrated Amp with Arcam Alpha 7 Integrated Amp plus matching CD player and saving you £70, seems like a real bargain on eBay!

1715005056866.png

Last edited:

bp_reid

Jun 5, 2023
Visit site
I’m happily listening a system the ballpark of that price right now…

Amp; Project Maia S3 £385 (used, like new)
Source; Wiim Pro Plus £210
Speakers; Cyrus OneLinear £149

The speakers and Wiim both came with cables so fully up and running for £744.

I also have my 2004 vintage Pro-Ject 1Xpression plugged in to the perfectly decent phono stage of the Maia.

Reactions: Al ears

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
We're actually comparing apples to oranges here as the standard inflation rate (pound value in 2002 compared to today's £ value) does not apply to consumer electronics.
Consumer electronics offer far far more (both technologically and performance wise) than they did 20 years ago for much less money.

It would be more realistic to see what is available today for £480.

Consumer electronics (especially in the budget category) actually suffer from 'deflation' over time not 'inflation'.

The Richer Sounds RCD N10 / QA 3010i's package at £449 or the AT LP60XUSB / Steljes NS3's package at £379 may offer similar sound quality as the OP's Marantz/Mission combo from '02 but has a ton of more modern features included for less money and they are in fact cheaper (50% cheaper if you take the standard inflation rate into account).

An example of electronics deflation is:
In 1985 a base Amstrad computer was around £500. Today £500 would buy a cheap laptop, but it would still blow the socks off the Amstrad. If inflation were accounted for today's cheap £500 laptop should cost £1,500, but it doesn't.

Last edited:

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
I feel most today would go with something from Sonos in all honesty. Especially if there not into hifi like many here but wanted something more than a sound puck.

If I where looking second hand and assuming that person knows what to look for.

A fine place to start would be

Amp marantz pm7200,
Speakers Mission 703/m74
And a modern cheap streamer such as though offered by WiM
Or prehaps a cd player if pennies stretched, a pioneer stable platter or NAD Or a dvd player

I've looked at that system in the past but wouldn't know what speakers to partner it with. I was thinking a few months ago of ditching my AV set up and just buying something like the marantz but my family said "you'll regret it" I hardly ever watch anything in surround sound now.
Depends how often the multi-channel is used and whether you can live with watching films with a two channel amp.

I've only owned two channel and my current bundles sounds great, even getting vitual surround sound as the different noises bounce off the walls, glass doors etc etc.

As regards the aforementioned Marantz it punches well above its diminutive size & price tag. The Marantz brand generally has a smoother presentation so don't match it with like-minded speakers: Focals, Dalis, Monitor Audio blah blah blah all should match well.

James105

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
We're actually comparing apples to oranges here as the standard inflation rate (pound value in 2002 compared to today's £ value) does not apply to consumer electronics.
Consumer electronics offer far far more (both technologically and performance wise) than they did 20 years ago for much less money.

It would be more realistic to see what is available today for £480.

Consumer electronics (especially in the budget category) actually suffer from 'deflation' over time not 'inflation'.

The Richer Sounds RCD N10 / QA 3010i's package at £449 or the AT LP60XUSB / Steljes NS3's package at £379 may offer similar sound quality as the OP's Marantz/Mission combo from '02 but has a ton of more modern features included for less money and they are in fact cheaper (50% cheaper if you take the standard inflation rate into account).

An example of electronics deflation is:
In 1985 a base Amstrad computer was around £500. Today £500 would buy a cheap laptop, but it would still blow the socks off the Amstrad. If inflation were accounted for today's cheap £500 laptop should cost £1,500, but it doesn't.
But here’s a thought if you took that £500 hifi system and a £500 laptop/phone running office 365 back to WHF in 1985 demoed the hi-fi and then said let’s write the review on this inccphotos you took with the phone which would impress them the most :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts