A new amp for damaged ears

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi folks. I have 2 problems (at least that I'm willing to talk about on here); Firstly, I've now spent as much repairing my NAD C370 over the last 10-12 years as I did buying it and now it's slowly dying, so time for a new amp but what to buy!?... My second problems is my hearing; I had a hearing test as part of the medical for my current employer; it would seem that after years of spending time in gig's, studios and in noisy factory’s I've lost a chunk of the lower bass register of my hearing. So I guess I'm looking not so much for a neutral amp but for something with a bit more low end welly; any suggestion?

My inputs are a Rega P3-24 with Pro-ject Phono Box and a PC running through an Arcam - rPAC DAC, in a room about 11'x13'. Speakers are currently Mission 750LE's on Apollo stands but I could be looking to replace these if they don't work with what ever amp I end up with next - Any system suggestions would be greatly appreciated (preferably standmount speakers as I'm shortish on room, though after Thursday's audition I have a feeling I may have to go to floorstanders to get the sound I want)

I listen to a wide variety of music from full orchestral to experimental electronica through to hip-hop, jazz, blues, funk, 60's R&B, ska, punk, techno, opera, acoustic folk; though I guess the main use will be metal; mostly either sludgy and detuned or just very heavy blues.

Thursday I spent a couple of hours auditioning an Audiolab 8200A & a Cyrus 6a through Tannoy DC6's and then Dali Zensor 7's. Didn't like the Audiolab but the Cyrus certainly had it's moments, though I found in some cases the vocals to be far to bright & in your face whilst having to strain to hear bass lines that I know so well (my dodgy ears I guess). Surprising, Godflesh sounded great through the Cyrus!

What I felt I was missing from both of these amplifiers was the oomph that the C370 seems to give; not sheer volume oomph but that low volume oomph that still delivers bass and presence when played quietly (I live in a a block of flats, you have show at least some consideration ). As for speakers only the floorstanders came close... Have I been spoilt by the 120W sledgehammer that is the C370?

I'm hoping to audition a Brio-R over the next week or 2 but having listened to the Cyrus i'm concerned that this amp may also be to neutral for my damaged ears and lack the oomph I'm craving.

I have a budget of around £1500 but was hoping to include in this amp, speakers & cables, a Rega TT-PSU and maybe an equipment rack to replace the MDF coffee table I'm currently using. Though the longer I spend hunting the more I realise I may have to compromise my list, unless of course I decide to try ebay (there's currently an old Audiolab 8000A on ebay; my memory tells me I loved the sound of the 8000A when I heard it back in the day but if the new 8200A is anything like old 8000A then I have a very false memory)

Cheers for reading folks and thanks for any and all suggestions, help, tips, etc x

jerry klinger

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
If you like the richness of the NAD sound then both the C326BEE and 356 are great. I use the 326 in a 2nd system with Rega phono stage and P3-24/Dynavector, currently into Dali Zensor 1s but will upgrade these at some point (the room is too small for floorstanders).

C326 can be had for less than £300, rega Fono is £198, etc.

A

Anonymous

Cheers Jerry,
I guess I was kinda looking for a change but you're right, stick with what you know sounds right your ears
:)

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I'd look at the current NAD range myself. The C370 is a meaty substantial sounding amp, as are most NAD's.

I just changed from a C350 to a C326BEE, not because I wanted to but I simply had to after my C350 died on Xmas day. From my experience the current range seem as good as the era of the C350 & C370. I personally love the NAD sound, other amps don't seem to have that effortless weight to the sound that NAD do in my opinion. As you say even at low listening levels there is still solidarity and weight there.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Hunt-down amps with a loudness-button to give the bottom-end some clout. Not sure if this will exclude NADs from your shortlist or not. Many Jap amps still have them.

philipjohnwright

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
Get a subwoofer and turn the bass up a little?

Have a look at the BK range - they only sell direct so no chance to audition, but they get good reveiws. And the prices are very good indeed; less than others go for secondhand. They used to make the original REL's so know what they are talking about. I got one of their entry level Gemini's for my dad and it works well. Suspect you might want to move up one in the range, which adds a heady £100 or so! One benefit is that they are very flexible, so you should be able to fine tune it to your tastes / needs.

I don't have any connection with them by the way, I just fancy one of the top of the range ones (£545, supposedly goes down to 15Hz in room - even allowing for a a bit of exaggeration it's a beast!)

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if this will bust your budget but perhaps the NAD 375 with its 150 W is what you need. I've always liked the NAD sound and this is their top integrated - plenty of power and a punchy, lively presentation.

A

Anonymous

Cheers for the input folks,

I've found myself eyeing up the Nad 356bee; is there a difference for the money between the 326 & the 356?

I'm hoping to keep the amp sub £700, so the 375 is out I'm afraid, I also have other goodies I want which would've had priority had the amp not started playing up

If I can find the time next week I will try and get a demo of the 356 & the 326. The same dealer also does the Yamaha A S700 so I might head-to-head them (my amp prior to the 370 was a Yamaha and I enjoyed that to).

I'd never considered a subwoofer but i'll bear it mind if I find things wanting

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
For an amplifier with ample bass and good resolution I'd suggest hearing a Denon PMA 1500AE or one of Cambridge Audios larger integrated.

regards

GCE

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
At low vol, say 8h - 9h , I noticed that Yam AS 700 or Mara 6004 flat, but with loudness on, have more bass and oomph than Nad 326 or 316 or 356 flat (no loudness available anyway ). That with towers like B&W 684 or equivalents. Just my 2 €c.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts