CD player for AVR system or new phono stage?

lakelandstu70

Feb 24, 2022
Visit site
So.. I had seperates years ago, based around a marantz amp and mission speakers. They all died as did my surround sound system. So I’m rebuilding from scratch. Can’t afford separates for hifi and tv. So went with a Denon avr x2700h. And wharfedale speaker package. Denon has built in phono so got a secondhand one year old rega p1 (latest cartridge etc) Which I find astonishing. Question now is what CD player? Thought about the marantz award winner… but wondered about second hand and going a bit bigger eg Cyrus. Not sure if the denon has a dac so I could just get a cd transport. Should say I can push my cds (lossless) through a Mac m1 and play them through hifi or jack . Is it worth a separate? I appreciate this is a nice problem to have. If not what upgrade would you recommend? I had a dragonfly black with my MacBook Air…but the dac (yahama apparently in the m1) is better. Could get a separate phono stage rather than using the Denon in built….. opinion’s wecolmed. Upgrade cd or vinyl?

i read the threads relating to dvd vs CD players and didn‘t quite understand the arguments presented. But my Samsung uhd dvd doesn’t give the liveliest of sound on cds… but it’s through hdmi.. should I use optical instead? (cables are all new and good quality)

final point.. many comments say go and listen… well I’m in a rural area and with covid that is still a struggle. Although my original system was from Peter Tyson’s as is my new one. Thanks

So.. I had seperates years ago, based around a marantz amp and mission speakers. They all died as did my surround sound system. So I’m rebuilding from scratch. Can’t afford separates for hifi and tv. So went with a Denon avr x2700h. And wharfedale speaker package. Denon has built in phono so got a secondhand one year old rega p1 (latest cartridge etc) Which I find astonishing. Question now is what CD player? Thought about the marantz award winner… but wondered about second hand and going a bit bigger eg Cyrus. Not sure if the denon has a dac so I could just get a cd transport. Should say I can push my cds (lossless) through a Mac m1 and play them through hifi or jack . Is it worth a separate? I appreciate this is a nice problem to have. If not what upgrade would you recommend? I had a dragonfly black with my MacBook Air…but the dac (yahama apparently in the m1) is better. Could get a separate phono stage rather than using the Denon in built….. opinion’s wecolmed. Upgrade cd or vinyl?

i read the threads relating to dvd vs CD players and didn‘t quite understand the arguments presented. But my Samsung uhd dvd doesn’t give the liveliest of sound on cds… but it’s through hdmi.. should I use optical instead? (cables are all new and good quality)

final point.. many comments say go and listen… well I’m in a rural area and with covid that is still a struggle. Although my original system was from Peter Tyson’s as is my new one. Thanks
Just pick up on a couple of points: the difference between a well sorted DVD for music replay and a dedicated CDP is not huge.

A lot of new Bluray players will play films and play CDPs with aplomb. No need to spend fortunes. A good Sony, Panasonic Bluray will be good enough (in isolation) for both music and films.

Reactions: lakelandstu70

lakelandstu70

Feb 24, 2022
Visit site
Just pick up on a couple of points: the difference between a well sorted DVD for music replay and a dedicated CDP is not huge.

A lot of new Bluray players will play films and play CDPs with aplomb. No need to spend fortunes. A good Sony, Panasonic Bluray will be good enough (in isolation) for both music and films.
I find my samsung dvd a little sterile after my Sony and definitely in comparison to music played through my ipad (3.5mm jack) or Mac m1 (lossless cds ripped)

I find my samsung dvd a little sterile after my Sony and definitely in comparison to music played through my ipad (3.5mm jack) or Mac m1 (lossless cds ripped)
Fair play. For a reasonably priced CDP I would look at any of the Arcams from the DIVA range or current FMJ. I've owned the 73T from 2006 until 2 years ago when it was beyond reasonable repair. I've also owned vastly more expensive CDPs from Electrocompaniet and Naim. The former was a musical bore and the latter was too in your face -- too strident sounding.

I've replaced the Arcam with Exposure 2010. It's fantastic.

Rega also produce good CDPs but they are top loaders. Not much good if you stack your system.

As regards phono stage, generally speaking built-in ones are very good, regardless of brand. You can buy a better stage but IME you would have to spend an awful lot of money to achieve this.

Last edited:

Basso

Nov 13, 2021
Visit site
Personally, I would always buy new when it comes to a CD player. You don’t say what your budget is but you won’t go wrong with the Marantz CD6000 range.

lakelandstu70

Feb 24, 2022
Visit site
Fair play. For a reasonably priced CDP I would look at any of the Arcams from the DIVA range or current FMJ. I've owned the 73T from 2006 until 2 years ago when it was beyond reasonable repair. I've also owned vastly more expensive CDPs from Electrocompaniet and Naim. The former was a musical bore and the latter was too in your face -- too strident sounding.

I've replaced the Arcam with Exposure 2010. It's fantastic.

Rega also produce good CDPs but they are top loaders. Not much good if you stack your system.

As regards phono stage, generally speaking built-in ones are very good, regardless of brand. You can buy a better stage but IME you would have to spend an awful lot of money to achieve this.

thanks excellent and useful advice!

Much obliged... I guess budget is anywhere from £300 upwards to about £600.
For that budget there's some good choices. The Marantz 6007, Denon 800NE or for a little more money (£699) the latest Arcam CDS50 is a good player.

The Marantz 6007 is really good for the money, Arcam is also good but comes with additional bells and whistles such as streaming. Not heard the Denon but should work well with your AVR.

These are all available at Richer Sounds (or should be if there's no delay in stocks).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts