To my ears USB cables do make a difference.

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Status
Not open for further replies.

abacus

Somebody on this forum years ago stated that all solid state amplifiers, when level matched, were indistinguishable in a blind test.

I believe has was an ex hi-fi dealer of nearly 30 years experience.

There is even a test / challenge, with a huge money prize, for anybody that can actually do this.

As far as i'm aware nobody has taken up this offer...
That's absolutely correct (Assuming it is not run outside its design parameters), however different speakers have different impedance curves etc. and how the amp reacts to this is what makes the sound vary.
High end amps have big power supplies and output stages so no matter what speaker you put on the end , there will not be any change in sound, however cheaper amps have to meet a price , and so the power supplies and output stages are cut down to meet this price point, and will therefore be more affected (Sound different) with different speakers.

Bill

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
I agree with this. People who say they hear a difference should be able to reliably and repeatedly show this, during blind listening tests. The 'believers' should also be able to offer a scientific explanation for this difference, so we can form a scientific consensus, to then prove how a cable can make things sound better.

They can't offer this explanation currently and I have seen no consistent reports of a cable making a difference, nor anyone showing this phenomenon to be real. I'll remain sceptical until a forum, a person, or shop can show me a cable which guarantees to make my system sound better and explain how.
Don't you think 'Subjective' is the nature of the beast for most Hi-Fi scenarios?
If we change our speakers for 'better' speakers, are we all screaming 'Where's the Science'! This to me is a little disingenuous?

podknocker

I've said this before, but people prefer the sound of vinyl (and think it sounds better), because the resolution of vinyl is lower than that of CD. Vinyl will flatter the sound and not give you any nasties from the recording. CD has higher resolution and will highlight any unpleasant sounds in older recordings.

Don't blame CD for giving you more from the recording, warts and all, because a new recording, on high quality kit, will sound great on CD. Every technical aspect of CD trounces vinyl.

There is a nostalgic following with vinyl and now a similar one with cassette. The interest will go eventually and when everyone is streaming and not buying CDs, there will be a CD revival, because that's the fashionable thing to do. Resurrect old formats, rather than accept that new things are generally better.

Last edited:

daveh75

Vinyl turntables have more harmonic distortion than CD players and there's the problem of wow and flutter and yet, many claim, turntables sound vastly superior to digital.
Audiophiles claim all sorts of things, none of it based in reality.

I get that some might like and even prefer the sound of vinyl but that doesn't make it superior in any measurable way.

I personally find it utterly ludicrous that it's even still considered 'HiFi' in 2023 given all its limitations and faults...

Reactions: podknocker
Audiophiles claim all sorts of things, none of it based in reality.

I get that some might like and even prefer the sound of vinyl but that doesn't make it superior in any measurable way.

I personally find it utterly ludicrous that it's even still considered 'HiFi' in 2023 given all its limitations and faults...
You might others don't and this is irrelevant in this thread

podknocker

Can any of the cable 'believers' out there please explain why this cable is so expensive and what affect it would have on data being passed from say, an external HDD, to a Windows based PC?

D

Deleted member 201267

Can any of the cable 'believers' out there please explain why this cable is so expensive and what affect it would have on data being passed from say, an external HDD, to a Windows based PC?

Or maybe this one too :-

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site

Better to avoid mechanical disk HDD.
Solid state drive SSD sata or SSD NVME M. 2 is not only quicker but much more energy efficient. Think about the carbon footprint.
To answer your question, this isn't HiFi, I suspect I know what you're alluding to, nice try 😜
Radio interferences such as 5G signals can in certain situations affect the data but theres no need to go mental on USB.
Startech.com USB are up to the job and don't cost much more than generic ones.

podknocker

The Startech cables are adequate. What bothers me is when companies try to sell cables costing thousands of pounds, with zero proof they make a difference. The website is just full of jargon and nonsense. The unwary or gullible can fall for this nonsense and I think some sort of regulation is required, even with the capitalist free market we live in. The materials and fabrication involved with the production of USB cables cannot possibly justify these prices. It's not illegal to sell a cable for £4000 but I think it's outrageous. £20 is more than enough for a 2m length of USB cable.

Reactions: WayneKerr

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
The Startech cables are adequate. What bothers me is when companies try to sell cables costing thousands of pounds, with zero proof they make a difference. The website is just full of jargon and nonsense. The unwary or gullible can fall for this nonsense and I think some sort of regulation is required, even with the capitalist free market we live in. The materials and fabrication involved with the production of USB cables cannot possibly justify these prices. It's not illegal to sell a cable for £4000 but I think it's outrageous. £20 is more than enough for a 2m length of USB cable.
I agree, there can never be any justification for selling cables at such crazy prices.
Even if you were insanely gullible, if I had 4k to spend, why waste it on cables when I can purchase the state of art DAC.
I don't think any one in normal state of mind, would ever consider this as a sensible option.
I think the likes of Odin are marketing for another kind of clientele. Not for ordinary folks like us.

Gray

The debate continues on another forum.
The original poster is a believer.....but he also begins his post with the word 'So' 😡

Reactions: Jasonovich
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS