Question A humming receiver and what to do about it...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Fandango Andy

My Rega turntable is so old, it actually has an earth lead ;-)

I needed to be convinced that the problem is not of my making before fessing up; but I will now say that it's a Yamaha RS202D.

Gavin
Going back to my earlier question, did you buy it from a shop? Take it in, get them to set it up and see if they have the same issue.

gmatkin

Jun 18, 2023
Visit site
Going back to my earlier question, did you buy it from a shop? Take it in, get them to set it up and see if they have the same issue.
It's going to happen, I think.

I'm still far from sure about the causes and what I can do about them, but there's definitely interference going on.

Gavin

It's going to happen, I think.

I'm still far from sure about the causes and what I can do about them, but there's definitely interference going on.

Gavin
Almost as if to order, there’s a technical review of this on the objectivist website ASR that was only posted last night. There’s no obvious imbalance between channels, or hum showing, though it isn’t especially quiet. It is recommended because of its bargain price, about USD200.

The 230 volt version you have may well contain different bits inside because of the different voltage.

Reactions: gmatkin

gmatkin

Jun 18, 2023
Visit site
Hum nearly always arises from a "ground loop". This is where the components in a system don't share a common earth. This can happen even when they seem to have a common earth just because of a poor connection somewhere. For example, two wall sockets in a house will share the same earth wiring but if one has a loose connection there will some resistance and then you can get hum. Similarly a multi-way mains connector can suffer from this.

I suggest that you plug all your kit into one wall socket if you don't already and make sure that you are using a good quality mains connector. Also you can look in every plug and make sure that the earth wire is really well screwed down. If you have any doubts about how to do this get an electrician to do it for you.
I did all this. There were no earths in the sockets anywhere, so an option might have been to set up a star type earth network.

gmatkin

Jun 18, 2023
Visit site
Almost as if to order, there’s a technical review of this on the objectivist website ASR that was only posted last night. There’s no obvious imbalance between channels, or hum showing, though it isn’t especially quiet. It is recommended because of its bargain price, about USD200.

The 230 volt version you have may well contain different bits inside because of the different voltage.
Yesterday, I decided to give up the unequal struggle and buy a Cambridge Audio AXR100.

It's much, much quieter generally, the optical inputs seem like a very good idea, and there's no noticeable hum. It's like night and day, and I'm delighted - even if I have spent more than I'd hoped.

Gavin

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts