Upgrade my kuro

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
You might have a better result throwing your whole budget upgrading amp and speakers.

IMO A dramatic sound system with a 43" TV, is more involving than a budget sound system with a 55" TV.....more food for thought! :shifty:

You should go demo some good systems to see if you agree.

CnoEvil said:
You might have a better result throwing your whole budget upgrading amp and speakers.

IMO A dramatic sound system with a 43" TV, is more involving than a budget sound system with a 55" TV.....more food for thought! :shifty:

You should go demo some good systems to see if you agree.

You do realise that:

1) The OP's current TV isn't 1080p.

2) The model is 7 years old & out of warranty, which can break down any time, requiring the OP to make an unplanned purchase.

3) The current speakers are working fine, and will most likely outlast the life of the TV. It makes more sense selling the TV & keeping the speakers, rather than other way round.

:)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
You do realise that: 1) The OP's current TV isn't 1080p. 2) The model is 7 years old & out of warranty, which can break down any time, requiring the OP to make an unplanned purchase. 3) The current speakers are working fine, and will most likely outlast the life of the TV. It makes more sense selling the TV & keeping the speakers, rather than other way round. :)

I always like to put the other side of the arguement.....and it depends what one's priorities are.

When my AV amp had to go back for repair, the resulting drop in SQ was such, that all the involvement went out of 5.1 (The dealer lent me a cheap amp to get me by). I then decided (for me), that sound has more impact than picture.....unless you can get a big cinema screen. Just thought I'd throw this into the pot.

The TV, being a Pioneer, will in all likelihood last long enough until funds recover.......but life is full of uncertainties! :shifty:

Of course, sound will be important for you, as you're a Hi-Fi lover. I'm a home cinema person, & would any day prefer an outstanding picture over audio. TV picture quality has evolved a lot since 2005 & I think the greatest benefits are realised there. :)

I love my Kuro as well. But I was massively tempted by gel! The only reason I resisted from buying the GT50 for such a low price, is because my priorities lie elsewhere (a 4K projector in a dedicated cinema room in a self-built house in 2014-2015! :p )

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
Of course, sound will be important for you, as you're a Hi-Fi lover. I'm a home cinema person, & would any day prefer an outstanding picture over audio. TV picture quality has evolved a lot since 2005 & I think the greatest benefits are realised there. :)

Do we know which is more important to the OP?......in fact he may not know till he tries! :twisted:

I think you would find if you put in a cheap sound system (£300 amp / £500 5.1 speaker system), you might see my point better. You get very used to a good 12" sub, with great surround speakers driven by a competent amp.

Saying all that, you could be right. :grin:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
I love my Kuro as well. But I was massively tempted by gel! The only reason I resisted from buying the GT50 for such a low price, is because my priorities lie elsewhere (a 4K projector in a dedicated cinema room in a self-built house in 2014-2015! :p )

Now you're talking.

It will take something very special to part me from mine (unless it breaks)......imo they are a cut above.

arty

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
Picture is more important to me than sound as my listening levels are often suppressed during night time watching due to my daughters complaining when all the speakers start to sign ( in particular the Rel quake sub).

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:

Nice! I am looking forward to seeing pictures of that!
smiley-smile.gif

gel said:
bigboss said:

Nice! I am looking forward to seeing pictures of that!
smiley-smile.gif

Steady! Quite far off for that at present! :)

This is my aspiration. Depending on where I get a Consultant's job, it is very likely I'll have to relocate in 2014. I would love to build a house, & this will be the best opportunity for that. I like to plan things well in advance so I have enough time for research.

Of course, home cinema is a priority in the plan. :)

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
arty said:
Picture is more important to me than sound as my listening levels are often suppressed during night time watching due to my daughters complaining when all the speakers start to sign ( in particular the Rel quake sub).

Hello again arty,

Gosh, you must have very special loudspeakers if they can sign! My speakers can be said to only sing!
smiley-smile.gif

Some time back in the trail, I was the first one to mention the Yamaha RX-V673 receiver, at about £500. However, I do believe that the (outgoing - and it has been outgoing for about six months now, I'm very surprised that it is still available) Yamaha RX-A1010 would be even better, as bigboss suggested

"Or better still, this one at an exceptional price?

http://www.creative-audio.co.uk/HD.php?_YAM_1010_&CAT=HCAMP&ID=4655"

The only thing that it would be remiss of me not to mention is that I think the newer RX-V673 has 4K video passthrough, whereas the older RX-A1010 does not. (4K video passthrough is not important to me just now, and probably not for at least two years, but it might be important to you.)

The Yamaha RX-A1010 would leave you £1461 from your £2K budget.

This is where your charm comes in.

You use all the skills and flattery that persuaded Mrs arty to become Mrs arty, and you tell her that the Samsung PS60E6500 is such a good TV that you won't need to buy another TV for years. Reviewed http://www.trustedreviews.com/samsung-ps60e6500_TV_review#tr-review-summary and http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/samsung-ps60e6500-ps51e6500-201207262022.htm Besides, whether she's been talking to bigboss or not, you can tell her that never mind having a 60" set in your living room, the chap who suggested the Samsung has a 60" LG in his kitchen! (I WILL be changing my signature within a week) The only trouble with actually buying the £1,599 Samsung PS60ES6500 is that it seems to be available from only Currys/PC World, who are not my favourite shop, or from those tax-dodgers at Amazon.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
If the last link that I gave above doesn't work, you'll find the introduction to the review in the July 2012 button, you'll have to scroll down just past half way. If you click the Review button at the foot of the introduction, that will take you to another page where you can get access to the full review.

arty

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:
arty said:

Hello again arty,

Gosh, you must have very special loudspeakers if they can sign! My speakers can be said to only sing!
smiley-smile.gif

:clap:

The_Lhc said:
bigboss said:
I would love to build a house

Do you mean by hand? My Brother-in-law did that, took him 16 years. Well, I say 16 years, he hasn't actually finished it yet...

Well, not solely by hand! :)

I will oversee the project, & maybe save money by painting the interiors myself etc. I will not even try to do the structural work myself. It's better for experts to do it.

Very early days still. It's just a thought, & gathering information about what the process involves. It'll probably be towards the end of this year, or early next year, that I actively start looking for land etc.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

The_Lhc said:
bigboss said:

Do you mean by hand? My Brother-in-law did that, took him 16 years. Well, I say 16 years, he hasn't actually finished it yet...

Your Brother-in-law isn't Petrocelli is he?
smile.png

A joke for older posters there.

D

Deleted member 2457

CnoEvil said:
bigboss said:

Now you're talking.

It will take something very special to part me from mine (unless it breaks)......imo they are a cut above.

Fanboy.
smiley-smile.gif

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
The_Lhc said:
bigboss said:

Well, not solely by hand! :)

I will oversee the project, & maybe save money by painting the interiors myself etc. I will not even try to do the structural work myself. It's better for experts to do it.

He was a carpenter by trade and is now a fully qualified electrician and plumber as well! Even dug the foundations himself. With a spade.

Very early days still. It's just a thought, & gathering information about what the process involves. It'll probably be towards the end of this year, or early next year, that I actively start looking for land etc.

Yeah but you know where the cinema room's going already, right? :)

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Whoa, steady on chaps (The_Lhc, BigBernardBresslaw, gel)

Let's not get too distracted by the salivating prospect of bigboss's future 4K dedicated home cinema room, and return to the subject of this thread, namely whether arty can maybe persuade Mrs arty to get the Yamaha RX-A1010 receiver and maybe the Samsung PS60E6500 television.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:
Whoa, steady on chaps (The_Lhc, BigBernardBresslaw, gel)

Let's not get too distracted by the salivating prospect of bigboss's future 4K dedicated home cinema room, and return to the subject of this thread, namely whether arty can maybe persuade Mrs arty to get the Yamaha RX-A1010 receiver and maybe the Samsung PS60E6500 television.

Who died and made you Mother? It's the internet, it's thread drift, it happens, you'll never stop it, don't try.

TRENDING THREADS