Upgrade my kuro

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

arty

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
Really enjoying the debate, many thanks for the replies.

I take your point about affordable oled I will wait until the 2013 models are announced in the hope of grabbing a 2012 bargain ( assuming the bonus comes through in feb)

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
Son_of_SJ said:
I'll believe that when it happens, Mr Everard! And as strapped for cash says, at what price?

I still think that the OP should go ahead right now and buy any one of the five TVs that have been mentioned, all of which will offer many features over his existing elderly Pioneer. Even seeing the Freeview HD channels (which of course his Pioneer does not have) on a Full HD set will be a bit of a revelation - months after resurrecting my LG 60PZ950T in the kitchen, I'm still struck by how sharp all the Freeview HD channels are.

I didn't actually say the OP should hold off buying a plasma, or indeed any other set, because the KG OLED set is said to be coming, albeit at a UK price yeat to be confirmed. I only clarified my original blog suggestion that OLEDs may be some time off, in the light of LG's announcements today.

TBH if I were in the market for a new TV right now, plasma is still the way I personally would go – OLED (if it happens) can wait for a few years, allowing the technology to mature and become more commoditised before I spend the money.

I didn't read your post as anything other than a useful link to an article on the imminent launch of an expensive LG TV.

The average life cycle of televisions (and indeed all AV hardware) is shortening ever more rapidly. As enthusiasts, we upgrade with greater frequency than most. I therefore agree that a plasma purchase seems a reasonable investment at the moment. OLED should be a better established and more affordable technology by the time we're ready to upgrade again.

D

Deleted member 2457

arty said:
Really enjoying the debate, many thanks for the replies.

I take your point about affordable oled I will wait until the 2013 models are announced in the hope of grabbing a 2012 bargain ( assuming the bonus comes through in feb)

What sort of budget are you working on? Because you can get John Lewis to price match other shops at good prices.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Can someone explain to me the benefits of oled over plasma?

I hear a lot about waiting for oled, but from what I have seen from recent plasmas, the picture quality is moving towards perfection, so I don't really get how oled can be so superior.

From what I can gather, there are doubts about the lifespan of oleds, and also, I'm sure I've heard it mentioned about blues being a problem.

Am I right? I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wide of the mark.

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

I hear a lot about waiting for oled, but from what I have seen from recent plasmas, the picture quality is moving towards perfection, so I don't really get how oled can be so superior.

From what I can gather, there are doubts about the lifespan of oleds, and also, I'm sure I've heard it mentioned about blues being a problem.

All your concerns are well placed. The main advantages of OLED over plasma, apart from power efficiency & TV size, is a much higher contrast ratio, & a wider gamut of colours.

Check this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_CRT,_LCD,_Plasma,_and_OLED

D

Deleted member 2457

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=related&v=cg5zLq7XEwg

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wwBzSR6tqEY

Personally I would buy

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a-03ENXkcs8

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
The main advantages of OLED over plasma, apart from power efficiency & TV size, is a much higher contrast ratio, & a wider gamut of colours.

OLEDs also have faster response times resulting in better motion. Don't get me wrong, if/when OLED televisions are affordable and problems with blue OLEDs are resolved, I'll certainly invest. I'm just not convinced that'll be any time soon...

SolarGlider

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
It's no easy task replacing a Kuro.

Pioneer is regarded the Rolls Royce of tv's.

I personally believe that the first technology to truly master something like a

last generation PDP-LX 5090 (like my father has) will be Oled.

Panasonic is already there with black levels but struggles with motion compared

to the Pioneer.

I have a GT30 and while I absolutely love this tv it is not equal to the smooth buttery motion the Pioneer has.

(Both are calibrated and have no motion algorithms working, just 24p when available)

Panasonic has improved this year with the newer three models which have improved black levels and better motion.

The ST calibrated will be brighter then it's to more expensive siblings but the latter have more calibration options and slightly better blacks and motion. (and dual core processors)

In big sizes you should consider the Samsung E6500/ E8000 plasma's as well. They are the only ones capable of rivaling the top three Panasonic Plasma's. (especially in big sizes)

Oled is still in kid's shoes. It could have the potential to be the best technology ever because of immaculate blacks, perfect viewing angles, superfast refresh rates which give smooth motion.

But they are a pain to produce, will have many weaknesses in the beginning and I wonder how long those miniature lamps will last at first.

The market is focusing on 4K first.

It will take Oled 5 years at least to be interesting for non-rockefellers.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
SolarGlider said:

to the Pioneer.

I have a GT30 and while I absolutely love this tv it is not equal to the smooth buttery motion the Pioneer has.

(Both are calibrated and have no motion algorithms working, just 24p when available)

Panasonic has improved this year with the newer three models which have improved black levels and better motion.

The ST calibrated will be brighter then it's to more expensive siblings but the latter have more calibration options and slightly better blacks and motion. (and dual core processors)

In big sizes you should consider the Samsung E6500/ E8000 plasma's as well. They are the only ones capable of rivaling the top three Panasonic Plasma's. (especially in big sizes)

Oled is still in kid's shoes. It could have the potential to be the best technology ever because of immaculate blacks, perfect viewing angles, superfast refresh rates which give smooth motion.

But they are a pain to produce, will have many weaknesses in the beginning and I wonder how long those miniature lamps will last at first.

That is a very well balanced view, and imo lays down the options objectively.

D

Deleted member 2457

SolarGlider said:

to the Pioneer.

I definitely would put my GT50 on par with my old LX5090. And the GT50 is all brand new and shiny!
smiley-smile.gif
Motion just as good, black levels just as good and my GT50 might even be brighter! Black levels are probably clearer on the Panasonic and possibly better.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

CnoEvil said:
SolarGlider said:

to the Pioneer.

That is a very well balanced view, and imo lays down the options objectively.

I agree Mr Evil. And for anyone buying an early oled tv, a reminder to get a 5 year warranty.

arty

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
Haven't really set a budget

I don't mind paying 2k if necessary but really asking how much better is a set at that price compared to something nearer the 1k mark?

I would also be changing the amp for something up to date with hdmi inputs and hd audio so any cash saved on the tv would be welcome

D

Deleted member 2457

arty said:
Haven't really set a budget

I don't mind paying 2k if necessary but really asking how much better is a set at that price compared to something nearer the 1k mark?

I would also be changing the amp for something up to date with hdmi inputs and hd audio so any cash saved on the tv would be welcome

Well all 3 Panasonic TVs produce premium pictures, which is really good. And it is good the Panasonic review of the ST50 states this

http://www.whathifi.com/review/tx-p65st50-0

My understanding is that there is little difference between all three. Perhaps someone else could confirm this?

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
arty said:

Exactly which amplifier have you at present?

With about £2K, I'd suggest maybe a £500 / £1,500 split between receiver and television. Perhaps the £500 Yamaha RX-V673 receiver, while we all decide on your television!

Unless of course I have misunderstood (again!) and you're prepared to go up to £2K for the television alone, and then have another figure (if so, what?) for the receiver?

arty

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
My amp is a really old sony HDR 1080 I think.

I was looking at £2000 all in, I had originally thought around £1800 for the tv and around £200 for an amp from richer sounds ( a discounted model from last year - sumthing like the pioneer vsx922 for £250)

Any thoughts

arty

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
Speakers are kef eggs kht 2005.2 on surround duties (rear left, rear right, rear centre, front left and right high), kef q3 front left and right and kef htc 5001 centre (I think) - I am using a pre out on the Sony and using my musical fidelity XA1 amp to drive the q3s

:)

I asked only because of your budget constraints, as you're paying an awful lot more for those extra 5 inches & compromising on an AV receiver.

Can you stretch your budget to this?

http://www.whathifi.com/review/rx-v673

arty

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
I had thought about that amp but I think I would really be pushing my luck if I nudged closer to £2500.

Part of my logic for the poorer amp is that it is definitely a huge step on from what I currently have, as currently I don't have HD audio at all.

TRENDING THREADS