Question Upgrade to bigger Telly

roaduck

Jun 26, 2023
Visit site
Cos I`m new I`ll give you a brief history of my tellys.
Hello all first of all can I say I don`t watch mainstream TV at all or watch blockbusters or any advertised American or British shows for various reasons.
I watch a lot of foreign TV, old films, documentaries and drama.
Up until I was 30 I had a 1960`s Sony second hand black and white 11 inch TV.
I didn`t need anything better because I was never home and when I was I read, played tenor sax, listened to shortwave radio, played cards and listened to music on an old stereo system.

Then when I was over thirty I got 14" Sony trintron which was my first colour television and it was great for viewing horse racing on teletext 3-4 foot away.I remember I had to get a colour TV Licence because my mono Daewoo VCR was colour and I could only pick up B&W telly haha!
Then in 1998 got a 28" Toshiba widescreen CRT which looked like a cinema to me - that telly still works fabulously and has a subwoofer and 65 watt built in amp.
About 5-6 years ago I got a second-hand 32" CRT Panasonic Quintrix which was brilliant but I couldn`t even lift it , next I got a bargain Tesco Teknika 50" FHD - which still works fine that I gave to my friend.
A couple of years ago I got a cheap Hisense 50" 4K QLED which got stolen by burglars.That got replaced by another cheapie Hisense but a 55 inch 4K QLED one.
I`ve always had poor eyesight so I got a cheapie Chinese projector and 120" motorised screen - but it`s quite blurred and dim - I think it`s 720p which looked bad on a 12 foot screen.I had it on ten minutes then packed it away - haha!
Then I thought I need something bigger and brighter so without reading any reviews I got a second-hand but unused telly from a friend because he`s not allowed to wall mount it by his landlord.Because my mate owed me quite a few favours I got a big Panasonic which has a box the size of a single bed.
It`s never been out of the box - I think it`s the new top of the range one and it weighs a ton - got it for £180 with delivery.
My friend said it has a soundbar built in below the screen, plus sub and top and side mounted speakers.
I don`t know anything about televisions and neither does my friend so I`m guessing it`s the new Panasonic 77".
I`m just waiting for the van to come and seen a cantilevered 109cm wall-bracket for it which should go on my solid brick wall; it`s rated 60 kg - telly is very heavy.TV.jpgHI-FI Rack.jpgKEYBOARD THREE.jpg

Are Panasonic tellys better than my Hisense because I need it as a vision aid - I`ve had eyesight problems all my life.
Will the 77 inch look a lot bigger than my 55 inch - I don`t know - I`ve never had a big good telly.
I have no home cinema amp because I have no space in my living room or space for rears.2.1 sound will do me I have a little Onkyo micro system and a little sub.I have to plug the laptop into the telly because I can barely see the 15 inch screen.
Any guidance or advice is gratefully appreciated on wall mounting installation because I`ve never put anything big on a wall.

Last edited:

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
think i stick to 50 or perhaps 55 for my next TV. Back in the day i had all Panasonic stuff S-VHS and VHS recorders from 1980s to 2004 CRT and later LCD TVs i found Panasonic then was an excellent TV. My first VHS was the famous NV333 and 366 models ? Rented from Visionhire then bought the Phillips double sided machine V2000 as new . was rubbish . several of the now famous Betamax C3 i think it was an one of the newer ones s/h Problem of those was lack of hired vids . Still had my S-VHS and VHS machines , before i got kicked out of the marital home in August 2004 ( remarried in 2007) From 2008 had various Toshiba TVs and DVD recorders and players still have 2 Blu Rays and 2 DVD recorders . TCL 50 inch and the last of the Plasma Panasonics 3D 50 inch. Had a total of 4 of those over the years Samsung Panasonic and Pioneer. Strangely i have not had a TV aerial since 2005 currently Sky Q.

Reactions: roaduck

roaduck

Jun 26, 2023
Visit site
I`ve bought a solid cantilevered bracket for the new Panny - I just need a friend who`s free for an afternoon to help me stick it on the wall !

I`ve just seen my friend`s 65 inch Sammy on the wall and it looks HUGE.

I think I may have bitten off more than I can chew !

roaduck

Jun 26, 2023
Visit site
think i stick to 50 or perhaps 55 for my next TV. Back in the day i had all Panasonic stuff S-VHS and VHS recorders from 1980s to 2004 CRT and later LCD TVs i found Panasonic then was an excellent TV. My first VHS was the famous NV333 and 366 models ? Rented from Visionhire then bought the Phillips double sided machine V2000 as new . was rubbish . several of the now famous Betamax C3 i think it was an one of the newer ones s/h Problem of those was lack of hired vids . Still had my S-VHS and VHS machines , before i got kicked out of the marital home in August 2004 ( remarried in 2007) From 2008 had various Toshiba TVs and DVD recorders and players still have 2 Blu Rays and 2 DVD recorders . TCL 50 inch and the last of the Plasma Panasonics 3D 50 inch. Had a total of 4 of those over the years Samsung Panasonic and Pioneer. Strangely i have not had a TV aerial since 2005 currently Sky Q.
I just bought a load of new books so the TV is off now.
I`ve not watched broadcast TV for over 25 years; I use tellys as monitors and don`t need videos, blurays or DVD`s at all now; I`ve got loads of films on servers.
It`s a smart TV but I made into a dumb TV haha!
I went from a Tesco cheapie Technika 50" full HD to a 55" 4K Hisense and the extra five inches do make a difference - it`s worth it flashgordon1952 IMHO.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts