What order to upgrade my basic set-up?

AlCapwnUK

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
My current set-up is incredibly basic, and has been largely the same for the last 10 years. Served me well at uni , but now I am coveting a better set-up.

Current:

- Sony 26kdls3000: sound is not terrible, colour is ok, but resolution only goes to 1080i/720p

- PS4 (base model) - this is what we use for most TV/blu-ray

- virgin media TiVo box - getting less and less use as the interface is so cumbersome compared to PS4

- raspberry pi

I'm looking for a 50" TV and some speakers (no rear speakers at the moment).

Got my eye on Sony Bravia KD-49XE9005, with subsequent PS4 pro upgrade.

Couple of questions:

- is a soundbar/base a sensible option; do i need an AVR for it to work with my TV/PS4; should I opt instead for more traditional speakers with the option of building to a 5.1 set in the future?

- should my priority be getting the screen first? as that's my current thinking.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
be your first port of call.

Regarding the sound, what is your room size. And do you have room to have 2 surround speakers on either sides or slightly behind your seating position. If the answer is 'yes', then you can buy an AVR next and 2 speakers to get going. Then depending on what 2 speakers you go for. You can next go for either a sub woofer or a centre channel.

However if you don't have room for surround speakers, then there is a lot of value in a sound bar as it doesn't need a AVR and can play audio via optical out from your TV.

Above suggestion is a little vague, but knowing your budget and room size can help others to be more specific

AlCapwnUK

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
room size is reasonably small, although open plan into the kitchen

budget is going to be staggered. but ultimately i'm looking at spending up to around £1000 on the TV, and then <£500 on the rest

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Is this for TV only or music and TV?

A sound bar is probably the cheapest upgrade for TV only and you can buy sound bars with wireless-ly linked subwoofers, to which you can add rear wireless surround speakers later.

If for music and TV I would go for a used 2016 or newer 5.1 or 7.1 AVR and some modest hifi speakers plus a modest centre channel speaker, sub, then surrounds as you can afford them.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
A Tv would be the first thing you should get first you could buy a Sony 49” well under £1000 or up to the £1000 mark a 55” Tv but depends which make of TV you wish to buy. .

but in regards of sound for a start the Tv will give you plenty of sound to get you going until funds are there to buy a sound bar or Av amplifier with speakers and subwoofer but your be best looking at a speaker package if you went the Av route which normally gives you 5.1

but I would say get the Tv and you may have change left to buy a new PS4 which will play films as well or a Xbox 1 X which will play 4k films and blu-ray’s and then decided what way you want to go with sound .

leenorm1

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
As per the excellent advice you have already received, I would opt for a TV first.

Next you have to ask yourself, do I want to upgrade in a few years time or settle with convenience.

A soundbar is convenient and some sound good but the only way for real surround sound is through the AVR route.

You could start with an AV Reciever and some floorstanders for fronts, this should be achievable with your £500 budget ( Roughly )

Then when funds allow add a Centre and Sub and then some rears if and when ready.

Thats the joy of separates, you can do it one piece at a time and you can mix and match.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts