Upgrade my kuro

arty

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
It is time to upgrade my ageing pioneer pdp436xde to a larger screen size and full 1080p resolution but I am very wary of increasing screen size but potentially decreasing picture quality ( in particular black levels).

I am considering the following sets but would appreciate any opinion ;

Panasonic txp55vt50

Panasonic Txp55st50

Sony kdl55hx853

If the financial secretary was on board with the plan then the vt50 would be a no brainer, so the question really comes down to this - can I really justify twice the price of the st50 in favor of the vt50 or does the Sony offer the surprise package in light of its recent awards.

Have I missed any other creditable options in the 55 inch catagory?

The difference in features between the ST50 & VT50 isn't much to justify the price difference. Black levels shouldn't degrade with increasing screen size, only the SD picture quality can. You can even look at the 50-inch Panasonic GT50.

The Sony HX853 is also a brilliant performer, although not that good in upscaling SD pictures. Demo both options & see what you think.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

arty said:
It is time to upgrade my ageing pioneer pdp436xde to a larger screen size and full 1080p resolution but I am very wary of increasing screen size but potentially decreasing picture quality ( in particular black levels).

I am considering the following sets but would appreciate any opinion ;

Panasonic txp55vt50

Panasonic Txp55st50

Sony kdl55hx853

If the financial secretary was on board with the plan then the vt50 would be a no brainer, so the question really comes down to this - can I really justify twice the price of the st50 in favor of the vt50 or does the Sony offer the surprise package in light of its recent awards.

Have I missed any other creditable options in the 55 inch catagory?

From all reviews and reports, as good as the VT50 will be, it can not be twice as good as the ST50.

If you want the best, and can justify the cost to your "financial secretary", the VT50 is the answer, but if you want a great tv, and a more pleasant atmosphere at home, the ST50 is the answer.

I'm sure the Sony is a great tv, but my preference is for plasma.

One extra point, and I don't have any logical basis for this theory, so feel free to ignore it. BUT, if most customers feel that the VT doesn't justify the extra cost over the ST, then the VT won't exactly be flying off the shelves. With 2013 fast approaching, and new models on the horizon, could this mean that VTs will soon be available at knock down prices?

Don't let this idea influence your decision too much, as I have no knowledge of stock levels or sales figures for the VT.

D

Deleted member 2457

When I was changing the GT50 screen a lot due to buzzing I did order the VT50 but then cancelled again. I have heard the blacks are said to be better on the VT50 but you could only see this if you were in a bat cave! I would love to have a play with the VT50 at home to see exactly what is what. If it was only a little bit better it is going to be some TV. I have to say when I saw the VT50 in Richer Sounds I was not too impressed but the pictures are always awful in there.

I have heard some people say the GT50 has a brighter screen, perhaps someone could confirm this? And I have heard the VT50 is better during daytime viewing, perhaps someone could confirm that too?

I honestly can't see anything wrong with the GT50 though and would like to see where a TV can be better.

D

Deleted member 2457

If the GT50 does have a brighter screen I am glad I have this one because I like a bright screen against really nice blacks. That is why I stuck with the GT50 in the end because if it was different and I didn't like it I would have been gutted! While with the GT50 I have always been wow! I didn't want to risk it in the end for an extra £500 too!

arty

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the swift replies -I think a demo is called for.

I did consider the gt50 but it isn't available in a 55 inch version, and I really want the bigger screen size as I am sitting around 3.5m away (but not allowed any bigger :cry).

I guess i have a bad case of upgrade itch as my current set is now 6 years old but I really don't want to scew it up and end up regretting my "upgrade"

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I don't think you'd regret it with any of those 3.

TVs have really moved on in the last few years, the blacks, sharpness, and colour accuracy will be well beyond your current tv I'm sure.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
I'm not familiar with the size of your existing Pioneer screen?

What exactly is your budget?

I'm certain that you'll find all the three TVs that you mention will be a big jump up in quality and features over your Pioneer, and I speak as the still-proud owner of two Pioneer TVs. I personally would probably not go for the Panasonic VT50 series because although it's the best TV that you can buy for playing Blu-Rays in a darkened room, it's not quite so good with a moderate amount of light in the room.

You may want to also consider the Samsung UE55ES8000, reviewed here http://www.whathifi.com/review/samsung-ue55es8000 and here http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/televisions/plasma-and-lcd-tvs/samsung-ue55es8000-1069068/review, now available for under £2,000, at least £500 less than its initial retail price . My rich doctor sister-in-law has both this model and the 65-inch version!

If you want to stay with plasma rather than go to LED, please don't overlook what is probably the bargain plasma around at the moment, the 60-inch Samsung PS60E6500, now at about £1,600 and reviewed here http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/samsung-ps60e6500-ps51e6500-201207262022.htm and here http://www.trustedreviews.com/samsung-ps60e6500_TV_review. Like most of the sets that have been mentioned so far (but not the Panasonice ST50), this has Freesat as well as Freeview, a feature which really came into its own during the London 2012 Olympics, when 24 Olympic channels were broadcast on HD Freesat, but not on Freeview.

Lastly, if it matters to you (and it certainly does to me) just check which of the sets have a 15-pin VGA connection for accepting a PC input. All my sets do, and I find it very useful to send whatever my PC is doing (a lecture slide show, or basketball sent to my computer from the NBA in America) to my TVs, so I don't have to sit at the computer all the time. If your chosen TV doesn't have a VGA input then (unless your PC outputs via an HDMI lead) you'll have to invest about £55 at Maplin for an HDMI-to-VGA converter and sacrifice one of your gleaming new the television's HDMI inputs.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Playing devils advocate for a moment, are you sure that changing is wise: -

- Is there anything wrong with the picture on your excellent Pioneer?

- If you don't watch lots of blu-rays, HD Ready is fine

- Bigger Plasmas can buzz

- Might be worth waiting for the new resolution formats to settle (as well as OLED to become affordable).

Just remember, the general build quality on Pioneers is superior to anything other than the likes of Loewe or B&O..........all I'm saying is, think carefully before you replace your Pioneer.

arty

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
That's the whole point... I don't need a new tv as the picture is still fantastic but I think it is a little small now, hence the 55 inch size ( although it has to be said that mrs arty doesn't see the need for a bigger tv, but then again she can't the picture improvements of hd material)!

I think I'll wait and see what happens to oled and 4k sets...damn had my heart set on a new toy :cry:

arty

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
That's the whole point... I don't need a new tv as the picture is still fantastic but I think it is a little small now, hence the 55 inch size ( although it has to be said that mrs arty doesn't see the need for a bigger tv, but then again she can't the picture improvements of hd material)!

I think I'll wait and see what happens to oled and 4k sets...damn had my heart set on a new toy :cry:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
arty said:

It's most unusual for me to encourage someone not to spend money, as I usually try to push the envelope as far as possible...........so don't let me put you off! ;)

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
arty said:
.. but I think it is a little small now,

You've still not told us exactly how big your existing Pioneer is. And I take it that your Pioneer is not Full HD?

arty said:
I think I'll wait and see what happens to oled and 4k sets..

In that case, I do hope that you are a patient man. We've been hearing about the "imminent" release of OLED sets (mainly from LG and Samsung) at big consumer electronics shows for over a year now, but nothing in the shops yet. In any case, the first sets that come out will be very expensive, I'm guessing at least £4,000 for the 55-inch size, somebody do correct me if I'm wrong.

4K seems to be closer, but again, the first TVs that come out will be expensive.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:
You've still not told us exactly how big your existing Pioneer is. And I take it that your Pioneer is not Full HD?

Looking at the model No. it's a 43" Plasma, which is HD Ready.

If all is working fine, there is no hurry to rush into what could well be out of date within a couple of years.

.....but if size is important............ :shifty:

D

Deleted member 2457

Son_of_SJ said:
arty said:
.. but I think it is a little small now,

arty said:
I think I'll wait and see what happens to oled and 4k sets..

In that case, I do hope that you are a patient man. We've been hearing about the "imminent" release of OLED sets (mainly from LG and Samsung) at big consumer electronics shows for over a year now, but nothing in the shops yet. In any case, the first sets that come out will be very expensive, I'm guessing at least £4,000 for the 55-inch size, somebody do correct me if I'm wrong.

4K seems to be closer, but again, the first TVs that come out will be expensive.

Yeah he has, it is 43 inches. I would upgrade to the Panasonic 55VT50 if I was you. This years Panasonics are far better than anything before, who knows what might be in the future. Although once I thought I could predict the future!
smiley-smile.gif

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
Yeah he has, it is 43 inches.

Having checked arty's own entries, no, he himself never actually said 43 inches. But CnoEvil confirms the size and that it is is not full HD.

Arty, you might want to read the article on page 31 of the current (January 2013) issue of What Hi-Fi. First Tests editor Andy Madden briefly discusses how soon OLED and 4K sets might appear, and it's not looking good for OLED..... And there is this blog by Mr Everard http://www.whathifi.com/blog/never-mind-%E2%80%93-2013-is-an-oel-new-year-hopefully , which can be accessed online under "Blogs".

Commercially available OLED sets ain't coming any time soon.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
Son_of_SJ said:
Commercially available OLED sets ain't coming any time soon.

Except apparently they are coming soon now – as soon as the first three months of this year, according to LG. And when LG jumps, will Samsung be far behind?

Albeit at a serious premium. Affordable large screen OLED still seems several years away. In other words, LG's announcement shouldn't deter the OP from considering a plasma purchase for the moment.

It would also be dangerous to assume that OLED TVs launched in 2013 will be problem free and age well.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
as soon as the first three months of this year, according to LG. And when LG jumps, will Samsung be far behind?

I'll believe that when it happens, Mr Everard! And as strapped for cash says, at what price?

I still think that the OP should go ahead right now and buy any one of the five TVs that have been mentioned, all of which will offer many features over his existing elderly Pioneer. Even seeing the Freeview HD channels (which of course his Pioneer does not have) on a Full HD set will be a bit of a revelation - months after resurrecting my LG 60PZ950T in the kitchen, I'm still struck by how sharp all the Freeview HD channels are.

The OLED TV is available to order from tomorrow in South Korea, which for me is proof enough on its availability. It'll probably be a couple of years before prices come down to sensible levels. I'm more interested in Samsung's mystery TV which will be revealed on Monday! :p

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:
I'll believe that when it happens, Mr Everard! And as strapped for cash says, at what price?

I still think that the OP should go ahead right now and buy any one of the five TVs that have been mentioned, all of which will offer many features over his existing elderly Pioneer. Even seeing the Freeview HD channels (which of course his Pioneer does not have) on a Full HD set will be a bit of a revelation - months after resurrecting my LG 60PZ950T in the kitchen, I'm still struck by how sharp all the Freeview HD channels are.

I didn't actually say the OP should hold off buying a plasma, or indeed any other set, because the KG OLED set is said to be coming, albeit at a UK price yeat to be confirmed. I only clarified my original blog suggestion that OLEDs may be some time off, in the light of LG's announcements today.

TBH if I were in the market for a new TV right now, plasma is still the way I personally would go – OLED (if it happens) can wait for a few years, allowing the technology to mature and become more commoditised before I spend the money.

TRENDING THREADS