Requesting advice on a speaker upgrade for my living room hifi system

hermonystra

Feb 18, 2016
Visit site
Hello,

I am in the process of upgrading my living room speakers.

I have a marantz sr6009. I'm currently only looking to hook up a better pair of stereo speakers to my system.

My living room is L-shaped with an attached semi-open kitchen space, which though not ideal, I feel my listening area, which is our sofa/tv space on the one side of the L, has relatively good acoustics. There is one window on my left and the open side of the L on the right side of my listening position. Speakers are positioned on the long wall of the L, listening position is, opposite that.

Size of the listening area is about 24m3 or 850 cubic feet, 10 feet or 300cm deep, 13 feet or 400cm wide, 8 feet or 240cm high. The L-shape is a little more than 50m3, not counting the kitchen space which would be an additional...30m3 or 1050 cubic feet.

Active listening will happen in the listening area ofcourse, though the space is small enough to want to listen to be listening to these speakers from my kitchen space when I'm doing housework/cooking/cleaning.

I currently have a set of Q Acoustics Concept 20 hooked up to my marantz sr6009. Though I love the upgrade in sound quality, refinement and detail they provide over my old micro stereo speakers I feel they are a tad on the quiet and reserved, polite side and, to my surprise, seem to lack a little bit of pure energy or, in technical jargon, oomph. In what is my limited experience, I'm not getting them to envelop the room with their sound quite as well as I'm used to. You should know that I have both my old and new speakers hooked up right now and have been comparing them. Though less refined, my old speakers are able to provide that tiny bit more in the way of filling my room with sound and though much more muddled are a tad more energetic because a tad less polite. It's funny to me that I like the four speakers playing together better right now than either of them apart. Problem is, ofcourse, the detail gets lost too much that way. They are brilliant little speakers for the money though. Stereo image is insane, best illustrated when watching anything with dialogue, it seems to come from smack dab in the middle. (Though again, the sound seems directional coming from the speaker's wall to the listening position. I prefer a bit more enveloping effect)

My musical preferences are pretty wide ranging. I'll try pretty much anything, though, in my own way, I look for quality over quantity. I listen mostly to metal (Deftones, Opeth, Dream Theater, Anup Sastry, Cradle of Filth, Katatonia, Amorphis, Tool, A Perfect Circle, Metallica, Animals as Leaders, all kinds of progressive, djent) soundtracks (Bear McCreary, Hans Zimmer, Harry-Gregson Williams and a lot of the other usual suspects, followed by rock, jazz, more experimental stuff (I encourage you to listen to GoGo Penguin, one of my favourite jazz influenced outfits) and well, anything really, also stuff that's probably badly recorded, but I'm in it for the music too, not just the great mastering of records. :)

Now, after that long description, my questions to you, dear reader: I'm assuming I need a tad more energy and bang for my buck and maybe a little more open sounding speaker. I like lots of detail and a neutral sound while perhaps preferring to err on the side of a warmer sound. I want everything nice and clear and prefer a well represented bass if it's there. (For reference, these Q's might be a smigde too nice and polite on the bass for me) Nothing that gets boomy though. Oh and on the subject of volume, based on the marantz: sometimes louder (50 or 60 on a max of 100), but mostly at 30-45 on a scale of 100, late evenings might even be just 15-20 of a 100. Now, I'm assuming the Dali Zensor 3 would be an option. It's a tad bigger, a tad warmer. (my old speakers would be in between the concept 20 and the dali's.) However, I love the aesthetic of the Q Acoustics and I'm tempted to give the Q Acoustics 3050 a try. I have little hands-on experience with speakers, but I know what I like. My main question is this: should I try the Q Acoustics or am I going to get a headache considering my listening area's size? Seeing as I can't test them in a store I need to order online and test them at home within a limited time span and I wish to avoid potential financial headache if something gets screwed up in transport.

Any advice is welcome,

Thanks and best regards,

Thomas

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
You can change either the receiver or the speakers to get the results that you want, your choice.

If you do change speakers, the 3050 or 2050 floor standers will fill the room without issues but bear in mind that they need a bit of space around them and they will still have the characteristic Q Acoustics sound.

If you want something 'different', the Dalis, particularly the Zensor 3 or 5 should do what you want.

At this level the 'character' of the system is largely determined by the speakers, but there is no 'best' model, try them and buy the one that appeals to you most.

BTW. If you look around the 2050i is available under £300, great value.

hermonystra

Feb 18, 2016
Visit site
Definitely speakers,

Only just bought the marantz and I bought it with good reason. Did tons for my listening pleasure already :). I won't give that up just yet. ;-) Now that 'enough room to breathe' is what I'm most scared of. I can do the suggested 20 cm from back wall but I can't do the 50 cm from the wall on one side. I don't want the boominess, echoing etc. to be unmanageable. I think I'll try both the 3050 and the zensor 3. I think between those three I should find what I like. Does anyone have any knowledge on whether the 3050 would be a qualitative downgrade over the concept 20? (I suspect the dali's don't compare very well to the concept's, they just seem to be really good speakers for the price in their own right, so I won't ask that question on those.)

Best regards,

Thomas

hermonystra

Feb 18, 2016
Visit site
Oh, and I know about the 2050i, just think I'll prefer the 3050's because they're a tad smaller and better looking and I prefer the connectors to be in the rear of the speaker.

Thanks a bunch

Thomas

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts