to richard allen (eb2 )

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Richard Allen said:
Goethe said:
Today I received the speakers EB2, as mr. Allen promised.

Please!!. The name's Richard.

Thanks Goethe.

My first impression is that they sound great, without distortion. The damaged speakers are ready for collection within the box. When you want, Richard. Regards.

A

Anonymous

Richard, i have placed an order for a pair of EB2 in mid-Feb '12. I have not received them as of today, which is mid-july '12.

I have wrote several emails without a single reply to me.

I have managed to call Eb Acoustics three times since May '12 and given updates that never resulted in my speakers being delivered.

Paypal is literally washing their hands because it is already beyond their 45days limit.

I think it is an understatement to say I have been more than patient with your company and most certainly have a right to demand a real delivery date.

Probably I should not have (stupidly?) bought into the hype by What HiFi but I wanted to give them a try when I was in the market for a pair of new speakers.

Instead of a pair of 5-star speakers, I am getting only agony and the fear that I have lost my hard earned money.

To Andy of What HiFi: is there anyway you can help as I have seen you helping others in the past?

From Lim CS of Singapore

Richard Allen said:
Thankfully, that situation doesn't arise here. It's interesting that PayPal only go to 45 days whereas on my control panel I can issue refunds myself up to 60 days and by email for any longer period. I think it's to stop chargebacks when people already have the goods and try to scam the money back. That's not where the likes of you and I are coming from but, for every good ( ???) trader like me, there are at least a dozen rogues out there. That's the only take I can see on it. So far as refunds are concerned, The money is the customers not mine until the goods are shipped. End of!!. They want a refund?, they can have it.

I know you're a genuine & honest person who makes some very good speakers. But you've got to understand the customer's point of view. Yes, they can have the refund, but only when you take action from your end. PayPal is not as safe as people think it is, especially when the delivery period is beyond 45 days.

The money is NOT the customer's until the goods are shipped as it has already been taken from his/her account as soon as the purchase is made. You may choose to use that money or not, or it is held in PayPal (I don't know how that works, because my experience of selling on eBay suggests that the money immediately comes into my account via PayPal as soon as the buyer makes a payment) it does not make any difference. The money is yours after the 45-day period, because only you can choose whether to refund it or not, and not PayPal or the customer.

Communication systems like emails & telephones do not always work (like the gentleman above). You really need to explore this area and do something about it, so that we as customers feel safe shopping from your site. £669 is not an insignificant amount to bet on.

Please be aware that this is a constructive criticism to help you. You may wish to arrogantly brush my suggestion off, that's your choice.

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
bigboss said:
Richard Allen said:
Thankfully, that situation doesn't arise here. It's interesting that PayPal only go to 45 days whereas on my control panel I can issue refunds myself up to 60 days and by email for any longer period. I think it's to stop chargebacks when people already have the goods and try to scam the money back. That's not where the likes of you and I are coming from but, for every good ( ???) trader like me, there are at least a dozen rogues out there. That's the only take I can see on it. So far as refunds are concerned, The money is the customers not mine until the goods are shipped. End of!!. They want a refund?, they can have it.

I know you're a genuine & honest person who makes some very good speakers. But you've got to understand the customer's point of view. Yes, they can have the refund, but only when you take action from your end. PayPal is not as safe as people think it is, especially when the delivery period is beyond 45 days.

The money is NOT the customer's until the goods are shipped as it has already been taken from his/her account as soon as the purchase is made. You may choose to use that money or not, or it is held in PayPal (I don't know how that works, because my experience of selling on eBay suggests that the money immediately comes into my account via PayPal as soon as the buyer makes a payment) it does not make any difference. The money is yours after the 45-day period, because only you can choose whether to refund it or not, and not PayPal or the customer.

Communication systems like emails & telephones do not always work (like the gentleman above). You really need to explore this area and do something about it, so that we as customers feel safe shopping from your site. £669 is not an insignificant amount to bet on.

Please be aware that this is a constructive criticism to help you. You may wish to arrogantly brush my suggestion off, that's your choice.

+10
smiley-smile.gif
. What bigboss said is 200% true.

In the hi-fi circle there are so many competetors around and customer services is the most important aspect to secure a successful business. Don't just think you got a wonderful product and people will then come to you. That is not the case in this real world nowadays in particular news and information are spread in the web unbelieably fast. Any misconduct and adverse feedbacks will have a detrimental effect to one's businesses.

Before I purchased my Spendor SA-1 speakers eB's products were on top of my list but having read so many negative feedbacks and delivery delays without an answer from eB I decided not to take the risk. I think I had made a right decision.

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Been looking at this thread with interest and a lot of head scratching. Think I might have a solution.

When a customer orders a product, EB1,2 whatever, the order is placed in the normal way with a 10% deposit at the time of order.

When the product is ready for delivery, I will email the said customer and they can then put the remaining balance into the companys paypal account. When this is received, the goods will be dispatched.

If for any reason the customer wants to cancel the order or wants to return the product then the refund system will still work as now.

What do you people think??.

The OPs order is being dispatched this friday, DHL willing.

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Further to previous post, the new system won't come in until all backlog is cleared as it wouldn't be fair to customers who have already paid into paypal.

Thank you.

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Richard Allen said:
Been looking at this thread with interest and a lot of head scratching. Think I might have a solution.

When a customer orders a product, EB1,2 whatever, the order is placed in the normal way with a 10% deposit at the time of order.

When the product is ready for delivery, I will email the said customer and they can then put the remaining balance into the companys paypal account. When this is received, the goods will be dispatched.

If for any reason the customer wants to cancel the order or wants to return the product then the refund system will still work as now.

That is a good start. Why not just impose a fixed deposit of say £50 instead of 10% deposit of the product cost, it makes the calculation easier.

Another thought is that you can commit a delivery time for your speakers, say within 2 months from placment of a deposit. In the case you cannot make it you will offer a 10% discount to your customer at his final payment. What do you think then?

A

Anonymous

Sound like great idea but i suggest you should clear all your backlog first before taking in new orders. It is not a good idea to let the customer wait without an actual ETA.

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Inter_Voice said:
Richard Allen said:

That is a good start. Why not just impose a fixed deposit of say £50 instead of 10% deposit of the product cost, it makes the calculation easier.

Another thought is that you can commit a delivery time for your speakers, say within 2 months from placment of a deposit. In the case you cannot make it you will offer a 10% discount to your customer at his final payment. What do you think then?

I think that is a valid point and will be considered. I am trying to do this within the 45 days as laid out by paypal if i can.

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
nexski said:
Sound like great idea but i suggest you should clear all your backlog first before taking in new orders. It is not a good idea to let the customer wait without an actual ETA.

I believe the customer should have an approximate ETA and this will be posted on the website home page and the individual product pages as well.

A

Anonymous

Richard Allen said:
nexski said:

I believe the customer should have an approximate ETA and this will be posted on the website home page and the individual product pages as well.

Another suggestion for you is to provide timely updates to buyer in any event there is any delay. As i can see from reviews, the buyers generally likes your product and it will be a pity if your repuatation get ruin due to some misunderstanding that can be avoided. Just a thought :)

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Inter_Voice said:
Richard Allen said:

Flat 50 quid deposit won't work. What about a set of £70 cables?. Not fair.

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
nexski said:
Richard Allen said:
nexski said:

Another suggestion for you is to provide timely updates to buyer in any event there is any delay. As i can see from reviews, the buyers generally likes your product and it will be a pity if your repuatation get ruin due to some misunderstanding that can be avoided. Just a thought :)

Good call!!!. Noted and shall do just that.

Richard Allen said:

This is certainly an excellent idea! :clap:

I would suggest a deposit of £100 at the time of order, the rest to be paid prior to dispatch.

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Hi Richard, I’m not sure how practical to implement it would be but given the speakers are made to order (but not custom) would there be a way for customers to pay in instalments?

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
bigboss said:
Richard Allen said:

This is certainly an excellent idea! :clap:

I would suggest a deposit of £100 at the time of order, the rest to be paid prior to dispatch.

I think £50 or £100 is not a problem as long as it is not a deposit based on % of the speakers' cost. BUT what happen if the delivery is long overdue ? Do you think the customer still happy even though he paid only £50 or £100 as deposit? EB should impose some self penalty (i.e. offer some discount) to compensate for the delay after a fixed period, say 45 days (in line with paypal).

A

Anonymous

Richard, I hope this means I will finally be getting my speakers.

Honestly, your comittment to delivery is most important. People place an order knowing that the leadtime is 10weeks or less; I have no issue with that. The problem, in my case, is that you are already 2x longer than that and I was not kept updated. I had to write to you, call you, and eventually look for help in this forum..... That is the most frustrating part as I was really worried my order will never materialise.

Anyway, hopefully my speakers will arrive soon enough.

Dear Richard

Hope you take these observations in the right spirit, from a person who runs his own small business.

Your new initiative to take a deposit rather than the full amount is honourable. However difficult [and sometimes frustrating running your own business is...] you need to get back to basics: This deposit is nothing more than a token jesture or "damage limitation", in the light on this thread. You should know the backlog of orders and when they date from, without people venting their frustration on a public forum.

Clearly, whether you admit it or not, you've bitten off more than you can chew.

I'm in a situation now where my business has maximised: Either I stick and turn away valuable orders... the alternative is to employ additional staff, and moving to a dedicated building, as opposed to working from home.

I've made mistakes over the past two years but customer service is KING. If I can't supply a product within the delivery period I contact (by phone or email) immediately and let them decide whether they want to source elsewhere or stick with me. They appreciate the honesty.

Communication is essential in maintaining customer loyalty. From all the reviews I've read about your speakers they have been top-notch. Perhaps you customer care should mirror the quality of your speakers rather than offering 'sweetners'.

Know thy strengths. Respect your weakenesses.

Good luck, pp.

edplaysdrums42

May 2, 2009
Visit site
I think that the main thing here is that Richard replies to his customers enquiries as to why their order is late. That is just the bare minimum required otherwise it is very disrepectful, even if he does just takes the deposit.

I realise that unexpected things can happen with the business at any time but just reply to your customers! :wall:

Cheers, Ed

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
LimCS said:

Honestly, your comittment to delivery is most important. People place an order knowing that the leadtime is 10weeks or less; I have no issue with that. The problem, in my case, is that you are already 2x longer than that and I was not kept updated. I had to write to you, call you, and eventually look for help in this forum..... That is the most frustrating part as I was really worried my order will never materialise.

I totally share your view. When I place an order to a whatever company and it accepts the officer I would expect the company to deliver its service according to whatever agreed terms and conditions. From legal pont the contract is bound.

Failing to deliver is actually a breach of contract and if the seller also ignores all the communications (not once but many many times and even without a word of SORRY) which implies it has no legal sense in mind at all and this company will surely fail. I would not take any risk to do business with it. End of story.

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
LimCS said:

I've said that your order is on its way today and, DHL willing, it will be as long as you are the guy in Singapore because that's where these are going. These stupid names on forums are a pain to decipher but I'm assuming this is you.

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Ok. Update time.

Here's how it's going to work.

When placing an order, 10% deposit paid into PayPal, not our bank account. Order is processed within the 45 day period hopefully. If later, customer is advised of this. He/She then decides whether to proceed or to have deposit refunded.

If order continues, customer is emailed when order is ready for shipping. At this point the balance is paid into PayPal account. When money is received, customer is emailed with a tracking number for the parcel. Hopefully, job done.

Website is ready to upload and will be ONLY when all backlog is cleared.

I know a lot of you don't necessarily like PayPal. Sorry, that's tough because I don't want your credit or debit card details.

Refunds after the 30 day trial will still be within the 45 day PayPal period as well so you are covered even while you're auditioning the speakers.

Silly really. I should have thought of this before. Never mind, thought of it now.

I hope this will satisfy most of your concerns but I'm not prepared to go any further with this on a public forum.

Thank you for all of your opinions and input.

Any further opinions / ideas please call me on 01562 865788.

Thanks again.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts