The active speakers club

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
fr0g said:
The_Lhc said:
fr0g said:
Wife-friendly Opalum. Look very swish...http://www.opalum.com/

Available in the UK?

Doesn't seem there are any stockists in the UK, but then I'm in Sweden :)

(Not that I'm getting any anytime soon, although I may go for a demo when my upgrade is finalized, as they would suit er indoors rather well).

What sort of price do they go for over there?

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
fr0g said:
The_Lhc said:
fr0g said:
Wife-friendly Opalum. Look very swish...http://www.opalum.com/

Available in the UK?

Doesn't seem there are any stockists in the UK, but then I'm in Sweden :)

(Not that I'm getting any anytime soon, although I may go for a demo when my upgrade is finalized, as they would suit er indoors rather well).

What sort of price do they go for over there?

Roughly from around £900 to £3500 a pair.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
The award winning Cambridge Audio Stream Magic 6 looks like the perfect one box solution for use with active speakers.

It has all the digital inputs you could want, wireless conectivity to your router and other devices, remote control apps for phones/tablets and of course that all important built in pre-amplifier so that you can connect it directly to a pair of active speakers without needing a separate pre-amp.

Stream.jpg

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
John Duncan said:
Or an amp and some passives...

woodster said:
Hey, thats crazy. An amplifier and passive speakers, thats a very traditional view after all this chat about actives, nah. That will never catch on...

please keep the discussion in this thread about actives. Let's leave debates active vs passive outside this threa and keep this one for reference material. You see how easy it is to spark a debate, but will it be useful here? I dont think so. Please keep it useful.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
The award winning Cambridge Audio Stream Magic 6 looks like the perfect one box solution for use with active speakers.

It has all the digital inputs you could want, wireless conectivity to your router and other devices, remote control apps for phones/tablets and of course that all important built in pre-amplifier so that you can connect it directly to a pair of active speakers without needing a separate pre-amp.

Stream.jpg

very good option imo. Personally I would prefer a larger screen. Not just on this one, but on any streamer. They seem to all have tiny screens unreadable across a room. Sb touch has the biggest I think but even that could be bigger imo. Bigger screens - gooooood.

John Duncan

AlmaataKZ said:
very good option imo. Personally I would prefer a larger screen. Not just on this one, but on any streamer. They seem to all have tiny screens unreadable across a room. Sb touch has the biggest I think but even that could be bigger imo. Bigger screens - gooooood.

Please keep the discussion in this thread about actives (etc)

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
AlmaataKZ said:

The screen is a bit small but I don't think that would too much of an issue because most people will probably use their phone or tablet as a remote control.

As far as I can see this is the only 'all in one' source solution for active speakers. This is because other streamers don't have a built in pre-amp like the Stream Magic does. I used to think that the SB Touch could be used as a one box solution for actives until you pointed out that it doesn't have a pre-amp.

A

Anonymous

Hy everyone, :wave:

being on the speaker hunt after selling my Monitor Audio BX2's, I wanted to make a quantum leap and buy the Kef ls50.

While watching an interview with Johann from Kef at some audio-show about the ls50's, he also introduced the X300a

brand new speakers. It was then, when I realised what I really need are active speakers!

I only ever listen to music from my laptop, and I don't want to spend too much time worrying about upgrades next year, (college starts) a pair of active, especially from Kef would be a wise choice.

This would mean selling my Marantz PM6004, and my Teac udh-01 dac.

Sound quality-wise I would guess they would be similar to the q100's. Have to wait and hear.

SHOULD I MAKE THE CHANGE, OR NOT? :quest:

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
thebronzecat said:
Hy everyone, :wave:

being on the speaker hunt after selling my Monitor Audio BX2's, I wanted to make a quantum leap and buy the Kef ls50.

While watching an interview with Johann from Kef at some audio-show about the ls50's, he also introduced the X300a

brand new speakers. It was then, when I realised what I really need are active speakers!

I only ever listen to music from my laptop, and I don't want to spend too much time worrying about upgrades next year, (college starts) a pair of active, especially from Kef would be a wise choice.

This would mean selling my Marantz PM6004, and my Teac udh-01 dac.

Sound quality-wise I would guess they would be similar to the q100's. Have to wait and hear.

SHOULD I MAKE THE CHANGE, OR NOT? :quest:

Sound quality wise I prefer good quality active speakers over passives because they can have better clarity. They're not for everyone though and many people prefer the sound of passive speakers so have a listen yourself to see which you prefer. One thing to bare in mind with active speakers is that they'll need a 'pre-amplifier' so that you can control the volume.

Some good active speakers that I recommend you have a listen to are ADAM Audio, Dynaudio, Genelec, Quested and the AVI ADM9s (the ADM9s also include a built in DAC and pre-amplifier which makes them very good value for money).

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
John Duncan said:
steve_1979 said:
Does the Stream Magic 6 have any sort of graphic equalizer or tone controls?

No.

That's a bummer. Having no tone controls is a real missed opportunity for Cambridge Audio IMO.

Do you think it'd be possible for Cambridge Audio to add tone controls just by updating the software? Maybe you could suggest it to them?

Mr. Iceman

Nov 29, 2008
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
As far as I can see this is the only 'all in one' source solution for active speakers. This is because other streamers don't have a built in pre-amp like the Stream Magic does. I used to think that the SB Touch could be used as a one box solution for actives until you pointed out that it doesn't have a pre-amp.

I use SBT with a pair of Focal CMS40s in my bedroom, remotely controlling (digital) volume on SBT, which could be considered similar to a preamp function, ie it offers a "variable" line output.

stevepg1975

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
I have joined the club. Over the course of this year have been looking at various options, ended with B&O beolab 4000's. Bit of a journey over the last couple of years from Rega BrioR with various sources to Onkyo8050 to this, but happy with how it has turned out. Basically wanted to keep it simple, also everything I have is Apple based now and we use Spotify a lot. Looked at Linn Sneaky, simple audio and Naim but found out recently that an old friend worked at a B&O store, he talked me into demo and that was it - especially as they just got some immaculate black ones in pre owned that had very little use. Looked good and sounded very good. Never thought of actives before this demo, can't understand why now, but there we go. Also heard pretty much everything else B&O do at the same time. The 8002's being my favourite but over my price range and 4000's not far behind I thought. Not something I thought I would end up with and was pretty much sold on the Linn sneaky until this, but very happy and glad to stop the search now, they look great wall mounted and just hooked up to Airport Express using AirPlay for now. Actives just happen to provide the right solution for me. Who'd have known.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Always good to open your mind and try various options, isn't it?

What did you compare the B&Os with?

I tried to have a demo of top and mid range B&O actives but it did not go well - the dealer was useless and could not demonstrate properly. So I do not have any impressions of how they sound.

stevepg1975

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
It is and its the first time I have demo'd something and just thought, thats it, thats for me. Shame about your experience, I am down in Bournemouth and they have the main showroom and 3/4 demo rooms.

Didn't compare with anything else active wise, have listened to much of the passives under the £1k mark in various demo's. Not saying active is better, it just works for me.

They ticked all the boxes, so to speak; Wall mountable, low box count, family friendly and could use with my Apple devices (I have MacBook, Ipad and Iphone) and of course sounded great.

I have the MK1 4000's, so its the older A/B amps which are a smoother sound than the newer ICE amps. I will revise my picture from the Quads to the B&O's sometime soon.
Also - enjoyed reading your thread and your set up is pretty awesome!

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Another option - Elipson LW - a wireless (no other inputs!) active 2-way 50+50W ICE-amped style speaker with coxial drivers with some finish and stands/brakets options.

ELI_PLANET-LW-PAIREACCES.jpg

I am considering these for the kitchen...

http://www.elipson.com/media/marketing/15/ELI_CATALOGUE2012-13-BD.pdf

Remote power on/off and volume. Looks like KLEER wirelss transmission from an optional USB dongle or inlcuded 30-pin ipod/iphone connector dongle.

So, if I use say the USB dongle with macmini:

- will KLEER transmit from the main room to the kitchen (say 5m and a wall)?

- can I select these speakers from 'remote' app on an ipod when itunes is playing from macmini/usb dongle?

- macmini is currently playing via optical to a dac. will I have to select the usb output manualy (which would kill the whole idea of using these speakers) or can I use the 'remote' app to select which system to play: main, kitchen or both? is that possible?

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Just spoke to Stone Audio and they confirmed that if I want to feed these speakers via the usb dongle I will have to manually (midi settings) select one of the outputs (optical OR usb) - the other one will not play. so this pretty much kills this as on an option for me (or anyone who wants to play them as a second system and have a convenient selector of speaker set 1/speaker set 2 / both)

too bad, as they seem to be be an excellent piece - small, active, good looking. shame on the input options.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts