The active speakers club

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

I’m onto my second Active system the best way I could describe the sound over passive is imagine a blanket sheet hanging over your speaker while the music is playing. Then taking away the blanket , everything opens up , crystal clear with a large open sound stage which you can actually feel in the air like the music is breathing life it’s a phenomenal listen experience

My Akurate speakers are 4 way being powered by 2 x 4 channels of power amp. Basically one amp per one speaker drive unit. Linn install active cards into the amps and make adjustments to the speakers eliminating the crossovers

stevepg1975

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Some advice and thoughts please. So I have my AE connected to my B&O's via 3.5mm to phono, control with AirPlay, this was always a first step to get me going on my active way. I like the simplicity of just using AirPlay, but looking at improving things in the new year and being able to connect my sky hd and blu ray up as well, if poss. Does this mean I should look at a DAC/pre amp combo, like the Audiolab MDac...or something else??

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Mirren Boy said:
I’m onto my second Active system the best way I could describe the sound over passive is imagine a blanket sheet hanging over your speaker while the music is playing. Then taking away the blanket , everything opens up , crystal clear with a large open sound stage which you can actually feel in the air like the music is breathing life it’s a phenomenal listen experience

My Akurate speakers are 4 way being powered by 2 x 4 channels of power amp. Basically one amp per one speaker drive unit. Linn install active cards into the amps and make adjustments to the speakers eliminating the crossovers

serious speakers. Any pics of your setup?

A

Anonymous

AlmaataKZ said:
Mirren Boy said:

serious speakers. Any pics of your setup?

The Akurate 212's’s are stand mount speakers. Bass midrange tweeter and super tweeter.

Akurate also do large floor standers too big for the room and my budget.I’m currently out the country due to work. On my return around 15th Dec will post a photo. Mean time here is a link with a picture

I’m a mature guy now and have been buying hifi for a long time starting out with Arcam with Haybrook HB1’s. The current system is the last I will buy. It’s what we all do if you are right into your music. Get the best you can. When I get home from weeks away the music is on from around 10am right through till midnight. Eating the dinner on the lap with music playing. Far better than some of the guff on tv

EDIT

The link did not work - Go to Goole images and type Linn 212 speakers and you will get pictures

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Mirren Boy said:

I have been into Linn for some time. I had an LP12 in the 80s (now sold), and still have a Kairn/LK100 and Karik/Numerik from the 90s.

Somehow I don't connect with their current passive amps/speakers until they go active.....and in this case, I agree with your assessment. Not only does the music sound considerably better, but I find it much more involving than their passive systems.

FWIW. When I heard it, I preferred the ordinary Linn Silvers to the balanced ones.

I haven't gone this route because I prefer Class A.

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Sorry Boy, but no wonder all starts to sound extra clear now once your Linns went active. Linns are one of the worst measuring hi-fi speakers you can find. actually, I thinks it's not prudent to use hi-fi adjective next to passive Linn speakers.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
as reported in teh news section here -

new small active from KEF, usb in, gbp 600 early 2013

http://www.kefstore.co.uk/x300a-pre-order-625-p.asp

x300a-pre-order-[3]-625-p.jpg

x300a-pre-order-[2]-625-p.jpg

JMacMan

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Santa and the reindeer delivered my new system/actives two days ago; a pair of these, brand spanking new and in black! :bounce:

BeoLab9_1.jpg

Very, very happy; would not go back to a pasive system again, on both performance and aesthetic grounds.

Sometimes there is gold at the end of the rainbow... :dance:

Merry Xmas to All :cheers:

Jmac

JMacMan

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
BenLaw said:
richardw42 said:
What are they ?

Looks like plastic penguin in a very, very bad mood |(

LOL... :rofl: excellent!

I've also heard them described as model lighthouses.

Maybe a better picture might 'identify them more easily...

bild

I've definitely been good and Santa has been listening to my prayers...

Merry Xmas to All

JMac

BigColz

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
Can anyone recommend some decent actives for around £250-400 new or second hand? Big entertaining fairly bassy sound but not wolly or out of controll or harsh trebble.. Cheers :cheers:

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
JMacMan said:
BenLaw said:
richardw42 said:
What are they ?

bild

Merry Xmas to All

JMac

Looks very nice, perhaps if you have some time you could start a system setup thread with more photos of the whole room / system? :)

JMacMan

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
BenLaw said:
JMacMan said:
BenLaw said:
richardw42 said:
What are they ?

bild

Merry Xmas to All

JMac

Looks very nice, perhaps if you have some time you could start a system setup thread with more photos of the whole room / system? :)

That's a picture I just quickly googled to show what they look like in a larger view - not my room unfortunately - I wish!

Mind you, there's some new furniture planned to go with the new active speaker/system, as the HiFi separates system is effectively redundant.

Merry Xmas

JMac

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
JMacMan said:

That's a picture I just quickly googled to show what they look like in a larger view - not my room unfortunately - I wish!

Mind you, there's some new furniture planned to go with the new active speaker/system, as the HiFi separates system is effectively redundant.

Merry Xmas

JMac

Very (very) nice indeed.

I have always fancied a set of those, or the Meridians....so it's good to see someone on here actually owns some. I'm with Ben...we need a report with pics.

Cno

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
BigColz said:
Can anyone recommend some decent actives for around £250-400 new or second hand? Big entertaining fairly bassy sound but not wolly or out of controll or harsh trebble.. Cheers :cheers:

These cheap active monitors are capable of giving much more expensive passive hifi speakers a run for their money.

Behringer TRUTH B3031A £302

http://www.dv247.com/studio-equipment/behringer-truth-b3031a-studio-reference-monitors--61718

Yamaha HS80M £408

http://www.dv247.com/studio-equipment/yamaha-hs80m-active-studio-monitors-pair--68042

Yamaha HS50M £244

(IMO these have a slightly better midrange than the bigger bassier HS80M)

http://www.dv247.com/studio-equipment/yamaha-hs50m-active-studio-monitors-pair--68041

JMacMan

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
richardw42 said:
What are they ?

They're Bang and Olufsen Beolab 9's, Richard.

I just popped the pics up from Google, because I'm thrilled to bits with them, but was 'hush' on the brand name, partly out of interest to see if people would recognise them from the pics, but also as I'm new here, and I'm very aware that B&O are infamously perceived by many audiophiles to be all about style and no substance. :doh:

But then I'm a classical musician, and a now fully recovered audiophool with this purchase, so my opinion probably doesn't count! :silenced:

Nonetheless after 40+ years in this hobby, and having had them for only three days now, they're easily the best HiFi purchase I've ever made. :grin:

Best Wishes for Xmas All

JMac

BigColz

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
BigColz said:

These cheap active monitors are capable of giving much more expensive passive hifi speakers a run for their money.

Behringer TRUTH B3031A £302

http://www.dv247.com/studio-equipment/behringer-truth-b3031a-studio-reference-monitors--61718

Yamaha HS80M £408

http://www.dv247.com/studio-equipment/yamaha-hs80m-active-studio-monitors-pair--68042

Yamaha HS50M £244

(IMO these have a slightly better midrange than the bigger bassier HS80M)

http://www.dv247.com/studio-equipment/yamaha-hs50m-active-studio-monitors-pair--68041

Cheers Steve :cheers:

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
JMacMan said:
I just popped the pics up from Google, because I'm thrilled to bits with them, but was 'hush' on the brand name, partly out of interest to see if people would recognise them from the pics, but also as I'm new here, and I'm very aware that B&O are infamously perceived by many audiophiles to be all about style and no substance. :doh:

I wouldn't be so sure.

B&O have a great reputation for audio engineering. I have had the privilege of hearing the larger B&O actives (Beolab 5s and 9s) on a few occasions when we used to have a B&O showroom in nearby Chichester.

B&O still retains a place on my 'Lottery Jackpot' shortlist :)

I would definitely like to read more about (and see more of) your system. (I can't afford it myself, but I can - vicariously at least - enjoy it from your account.)

BigColz

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
chebby said:
JMacMan said:

I wouldn't be so sure.

B&O have a great reputation for audio engineering. I have had the privilege of hearing the larger B&O actives (Beolab 5s and 9s) on a few occasions when we used to have a B&O showroom in nearby Chichester.

I would definitely like to read more about (and see more of) your system. (I can't afford it myself, but I can - vicariously at least - enjoy it from your account.)

Don't hold me to this but i've been told that B&O invented the class D amplifier??!! So if any audiophile doesn't like them they should at least respect them! I had a brief listen and I think they are very cool.. I'd def consider them for a living room setup if I stumbled on a large amopunt of money.. Am I correct in thinking they don't have a pre-amp? How do you control volume etc?

and yes, pics please :grin:

JMacMan

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
chebby said:
JMacMan said:

I wouldn't be so sure.

I totally agree with your summation as regards B&O's engineering expertise Chebby.

For a little background, being new here and all, I used to own Naim kit (CDI/72/HI-Cap/180/SBL's) for around 12 years or so, (only the SBL's remain as I moved into AV and found ES Sony kit to offer better sound to my ears on both AV and critical 2 channel music listening, and much better value IMHO to Naims efforts - which were sold off after being ousted by the big ES Sony) and blogged on their forum, then Pink Fish, and then HDD/AVI where I remain a member thus far.

A search on Pink Fish for example will reveal exceptional ridicule of B&O, and so called audiophiles seem completely unaware of the sort of R&D that the company carries out.

Many audiophiles seem to rate B&O with Bose, and sadly, ignorance and clinging to pseudo science rather than an open, enquiring and logical mind seems to be the way of many, but of course not all, audiophiles.

I started out in HiFi as an extension of my passion for classical music, and initially owned some B&W speakers, a Thorens TD125MK11/SME 3009/V15III shure for many years (I still have the Thorens which is mint having owned it from new), and it was only with the advent of CD that I found a need or desire to change. Of the many CD players that I auditioned, it came to a toss up between a then Sugden and the Naim; the Naim was the one recommended by all the magazines, and I liked the look and finish of it better than the Sugden, so bought it. Within 18 months, I updated the rest of my B&W/Thorens system (and an amp you won't have heard of called a RAIT, which was a copy of an Radford) as it was all getting on for 20 years old, to an all Naim system as described.

Fast forward another ten years, and I expanded from music into AV, and with that, ES Sony after much careful audition, and sold all the Naim electronics off. So my current system for the last 7 years or so has been a TADA 9000ES Sony Digital amp, fronted by a Sony DVP91000ES CD/SACD/DVD player, driving the SBL's with some Tannoy Mx2's doing duty for rear surrounds. Of course bits and pieces have been added, and I'm starting to stream from my Mac to an ATV3 etc, but the core of the system has remained.

One of the things I got caught up with during my Naim years, was the whole Flat Earth PRaT thing, which has largely now been discredited, and along with it, all the audiophile foolishness that goes on when you start to listen to the kit more than the music.

I'm not knocking the choices of those who do this mind, because there are many aspects to this hobby, but for me it was the music that got me into it, and I became very uncomfortable with all the audiophool obsessions and fiddling about with the Naim kit and was happy to be rid of it to be frank.

However, I did once hear SBL's active and since then have been a fan of the active speaker, and if it hadn't been for AV, my inital plan with the Naim setup was to move up the ladder to a fully active Naim system over time.

So, from a desire to move away from audiophile tom foolery, and to reach my goal of active speakers, I've spent quite a lot of time on HDD/AVI's forums re researching active speakers. In the end, I dismissed an AVI solution, not because I don't feel they're anything other than excellent, but for AV purposes they're not really for me as an integrated solution - for with active, not only was I wanting to move away from audiophool obsessions, but de-clutter my space as regards racks of kit, and in the case with AVI, - floorstanding speakers and twin subs in the case of the ADM40 solution, sonically excellent though it is - I just don't have that much room, nor do I want the clutter of multiple wooden speaker boxes in cuboid/rectangular shape.

A few months ago I bought a new TV - a B&O V1-40 which has an state of the art surround sound processor built in, DAC and pre-amp, and an active speaker array which also does double duty as the centre channel in an AV role, and has stunning picture and sound as a standalone product.

Essentially, all I need for a state of the art and very minimalist AV system, is that TV, and four active speakers; possibly a sub - albeit not really needed with the bass extension of the Lab 9's.

I've admired B&O for years; albeit when I was in my Naim 'years' as a paid up fanboi, I had a very casual listen to the Lab 5's and dismissed them as not having enough 'PRaT'. Silly me....lol

So having considered a number of options, B&W 803D's, AVI ADM40's and some hybrid electrostatic Nakamichis available locally, it was not that hard to go with the Lab 9's in the end, because they are a natural 'fit' with the TV re connectivity, sound matching for AV etc, and because not only did they tick all my boxes re performance requirements, they also ticked a whole lot of other boxes in terms of what I was looking for re a superbly engineered product that would fit into my lifestyle, rather than demanding that I fit my lifestyle around it.

Anyway; apologies for prattling on, but that's some of my background re HiFi ownership etc.

I now have the V1-40 + the Lab 9's; when the SBL's and all the Sony ES kit is sold off, racks cables and all, I'll put the money towards part funding a pair of Beolab 3's for surrounds and that will be the system completed.

Hope this helps explain where I'm 'at' a little

Merry Xmas... ;)

JMac

JMacMan

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
BigColz said:
chebby said:
JMacMan said:

I wouldn't be so sure.

Don't hold me to this but i've been told that B&O invented the class D amplifier??!! So if any audiophile doesn't like them they should at least respect them! I had a brief listen and I think they are very cool.. I'd def consider them for a living room setup if I stumbled on a large amopunt of money.. Am I correct in thinking they don't have a pre-amp? How do you control volume etc?

and yes, pics please :grin:

B&O didn't invent Class D, however they did develop it and own the intellectual patent rights to ICE power - which is a subsidiary company of B&O - ICE power modules being used in Rotel, Jeff Rowland, Pioneer, and B&W amongst others.

The Lab 9's don't have a preamp as such - no - that is usually handled by B&O's TV's which all have pre-amp/DAC's and active speaker arrays built into them, although you can also buy standalone streamers which either come with a HD or can be connected to a NAS etc, and which have said pre-amp and DAC etc built into them.

The exception is the Lab 5, which does have an DAC onboard, as well as a lot of DSP, and is very much a reference loudspeaker.

In my case, all preamp/DAC/surround sound processor duties are carried out by my B&O V1 TV, which as mentioned above, also acts as the (active) centre channel when in AV mode in conjunction with the Lab 9's.

Being active and a sonic/tonal match for the Lab 9's, the sound is seamless, exceptionally clear and natural as regards the centre, main left and right blend, and of course with no separate centre speaker box needed, there are zero problems of where to place it, either aesthetically or from a performance POV.

It's only my personal perspective, and yes, as an owner I'm biased, but with B&O I finally feel I'm where I want to be with a HiFi system that will last me for many, many years - the ownership satisfaction quota is exceptionally high, and I have the same sense of quality and long term satisfaction I had with my Thorens/Rait/B&W system many years ago, as mentioned in my previous post.

In short, I think my 'audiophool' obsessing and faffing about with kit that first started in my Naim years, is now over - this is a system to offer both performance and ownership satisfaction as a total package, that will last a lifetime.

Merry Xmas to all

JMac

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts