The active speakers club

Page 57 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Nelis87 said:
I don't know if this has been posted before but.. AirPulse A200. Engineered by Phil Jones. Good selection of inputs, DSP, really well build (1inch thick MDF) and good weight, special designed stands, apt-X, they seem to get some nice reviews too. I did not hear them myself, just sharing *preved*

what’s so special in 1 inch thick cabinet? is it there to remove or add resonance and distortion?

lpv said:
Nelis87 said:
I don't know if this has been posted before but.. AirPulse A200. Engineered by Phil Jones. Good selection of inputs, DSP, really well build (1inch thick MDF) and good weight, special designed stands, apt-X, they seem to get some nice reviews too. I did not hear them myself, just sharing *preved*

what’s so special in 1 inch thick cabinet? is it there to remove or add resonance and distortion?
The website says “...eliminates cabinet resonance to a minimum...”. Slightly odd phraseology but I think we get the point. It looks terrific, though I’d never heard of them until reading Nelis’ post above.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
insider9 said:
lpv said:
cheers nopiano

.. but are they saying the truth or is it marketing bs?

“...eliminates cabinet resonance to a minimum...”

So does it eliminate the resonance? Or does it reduce it to minimum?

Surely it can be either/or...

Neither probably. It shifts it to a different frequency band.

I had a quick listen on youtube after a google. They sound dynamically flat, bright with little bass as far as I can gather. Boring.

Thats compared against equally poor sounding actives, especially a terrifying Yamaha of some sort although JBL's 305 and a small Edifier perhaps seem to do slightly better, a little more balanced if still flat and boring. - That's cheap 'studio monitors' but unfortunately the Air Pulse are, I think, not even that cheap. Correct me if I'm wrong please. However, I had little interest in looking up the actual price. Looks decent mind.

Give me a set of powered Audio Engine A5+ or QAcoustics BT3 anytime.

Nelis87

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Ha, I think I'd want hear them! No box is resonance free, of course, at least not wooden ones. But they aren't huge, so I doubt it would be a major adverse influence. But, I'd still want to listen!

I feel the same way. I know there are better alternatives but I still want to listen to them. Don't think I ever listened to a ribbon tweeter in a horn construction before. They are not for sale anywhere close to me, bummer.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
drummerman said:
insider9 said:
lpv said:
cheers nopiano

I had a quick listen on youtube after a google. They sound dynamically flat, bright with little bass as far as I can gather. Boring.

Thats compared against equally poor sounding actives, especially a terrifying Yamaha of some sort although JBL's 305 and a small Edifier perhaps seem to do slightly better, a little more balanced if still flat and boring. - That's cheap 'studio monitors' but unfortunately the Air Pulse are, I think, not even that cheap. Correct me if I'm wrong please. However, I had little interest in looking up the actual price. Looks decent mind.

Give me a set of powered Audio Engine A5+ or QAcoustics BT3 anytime.

Thanks
You've saved me loads of time.
I never thought you could demo speakers on YouTube

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I know these Unity Rocks are suposed to be like gateways to the voice of God with choir of angels in the background, but this 'review' is making my stomach turn. *bad*

insider9

Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
I know these Unity Rocks are suposed to be like gateways to the voice of God with choir of angels in the background, but this 'review' is making my stomach turn. *bad*

So I can't hear what he's saying
You're very lucky there. I wish I didn't hear some of the things he said. I didn't manage to watch the whole video.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
insider9 said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
I know these Unity Rocks are suposed to be like gateways to the voice of God with choir of angels in the background, but this 'review' is making my stomach turn. *bad*

So I can't hear what he's saying
You're very lucky there. I wish I didn't hear some of the things he said. I didn't manage to watch the whole video.

He? I thought that was Steve Coogan's sister. *scratch_one-s_head*

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
drummerman said:
insider9 said:
lpv said:
cheers nopiano

Thats compared against equally poor sounding actives, especially a terrifying Yamaha of some sort although JBL's 305 and a small Edifier perhaps seem to do slightly better, a little more balanced if still flat and boring. - That's cheap 'studio monitors' but unfortunately the Air Pulse are, I think, not even that cheap. Correct me if I'm wrong please. However, I had little interest in looking up the actual price. Looks decent mind.

Give me a set of powered Audio Engine A5+ or QAcoustics BT3 anytime.

Thanks
You've saved me loads of time.
I never thought you could demo speakers on YouTube

Not in isolation perhaps but in direct comparison its possible, especially as in this case a centrally mounted decent Mic was used. The guy mounts all speakers the same way in the same place and most are one model vs another with frequent switching. Lots of his vids on the tube.

Unfortunately, even so they still sounded cxxxp.

Maybe the mic/set up is just too revealing for these 'Pro monitors' (bedroom wannabee DJ's and Sound Engineers).

The room shouldn't matter as most of those 'Pro' boxes are near fields ... made to cut out room reflections ... .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts