The active speakers club

Page 56 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
Here's some limited infomation about the DM12s that I've read over the past few month on the AVI forum if anyone's interested.

- They use the same 6.5" mid/bass driver as the DM10s.

- They have a larger enclosure resulting in slightly deeper bass than the DM10s.

- They have a new ring radiator tweeter which is a top of the range Satori model.

- They have a revised cross-over to better suit the new tweeter.

- There is a new DAC.

- The amplifiers are the same as the DM10s.

- The AVI badge is back lit but the light can be switched off if desired.

- Price will be somewhere around the £3000 mark.

It's better amp also

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Can you find out please? I think I've read something a while ago but not sure now.

Yeah sure. I'll ask on the AVI forum and report back. :)

I also forgot to mention that there are apparently some new AVI floorstanding speakers currently in development too. As far as I'm aware there are no more details on these other than them being floorstanders.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Here's some limited infomation about the DM12s that I've read over the past few months on the AVI forum if anyone's interested.

- They use the same 6.5" mid/bass driver as the DM10s.

- They have a larger enclosure resulting in slightly deeper bass than the DM10s.

- They have a new ring radiator tweeter which is a top of the range Satori model.

- They have a revised cross-over to better suit the new tweeter.

- There is a new DAC.

- The amplifiers are the same as the DM10s.

- The AVI badge is back lit but the light can be switched off if desired.

- Price will be somewhere around the £3000 mark.

Here's a photo of a pre-production DM12 prototype.

20840827_902226383258060_353434244509749427_n.jpg

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
Andrewjvt said:

Can you find out please? I think I've read something a while ago but not sure now.

I also forgot to mention that there are apparently some new AVI floorstanding speakers currently in development too. As far as I'm aware there are no more details on these other than them being floorstanders.

I've copied this

DM12 Sound Quality

There's a lot more detail, they're noticeably smoother, they have more bass and they're definitely better even than DM10s with Satoris, which I wanted to check. Voices are uncannily real.

They're still analogue, but use a new, improved DAC and they have Baxendale tone controls on the input. These were requested by various agents and are as a result of quite a lot of experimentation by Mart. Baxendale worked best.

This gives two possible reasons for improved SQ. In theory DACs measure well enough for a change not to make a difference, but this new one is the latest technology from Wolfson. Also the Baxendale circuit requires a buffer and Martin has chosen an op amp suitable for long input cables.

Whatever, the net result is a significantly improved and larger speaker with the amps in their own compartment. I won't go into too much detail about the re-designed electronics because they aren't finalised yet.

I didn't think we'd better the DM10s in my time, but we have and it's a big one.

Ok Steve: this is the quote I've read that has caused me to think they have new amps.
Could you.find more details?
Also prices etc

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
steve_1979 said:
Andrewjvt said:

I've copied this

DM12 Sound Quality

There's a lot more detail, they're noticeably smoother, they have more bass and they're definitely better even than DM10s with Satoris, which I wanted to check. Voices are uncannily real.

They're still analogue, but use a new, improved DAC and they have Baxendale tone controls on the input. These were requested by various agents and are as a result of quite a lot of experimentation by Mart. Baxendale worked best.

This gives two possible reasons for improved SQ. In theory DACs measure well enough for a change not to make a difference, but this new one is the latest technology from Wolfson. Also the Baxendale circuit requires a buffer and Martin has chosen an op amp suitable for long input cables.

Whatever, the net result is a significantly improved and larger speaker with the amps in their own compartment. I won't go into too much detail about the re-designed electronics because they aren't finalised yet.

I didn't think we'd better the DM10s in my time, but we have and it's a big one.

Ok Steve: this is the quote I've read that has caused me to think they have new amps.
Could you.find more details?
Also prices etc

£3000 ... AVI are moving with the times.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
It is also possible to improve the DM10 speakers by fitting the Satori ring radiator from the DM12 into them. You'll need to do a bit of woodwork to enlarge the tweeter hole in the enclosure to get them to fit though. Apart from that it's just a straight swap and results in a smoother and more detailed sound.

I haven't heard the DM10 tweeter mod myself but all the people on the AVI forum who have done it say that it sounds better and is worth the effort. They're not cheap though (around £200 for a pair) as the Satori ring radiator is Sinar Baja's top of the range tweeter (I can't remember the exact model number but it's on the AVI forum if you want to do a search).

EDIT - The tweeters are the Satori TW29R-B.

http://www.falconacoustics.co.uk/drive-units-1/sb-acoustics/sb-acoustics-satori/satori-tw29rb.htmlhttp://www.falconacoustics.co.uk/drive-units-1/sb-acoustics/sb-acoustics-satori/satori-tw29rb.html

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
The information about the amplifiers used is a bit ambiguous but it does sound like there might be new ones. I've asked for some confirmation on this.

"...Whatever, the net result is a significantly improved and larger speaker with the amps in their own compartment. I won't go into too much detail about the re-designed electronics because they aren't finalized yet."

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Electro said:
A new active speaker from PMC the Result 6 is now available at the more friendly price of £2394 a pair.

http://sxpro.co.uk/pmc-result6-pair

https://pmc-speakers.com/products/professional/active/result6

Available Finishes: RAL 7022 Crossover Frequency: 2kHz Dimensions: H380 x W199 x D360 (mm) Drive Units: HF 27mm Soft DomeLF 170mm (6.5 inch), doped natural fibre Effective ATL™ Length: 1.5m (4.9ft) Frequency Response: 45Hz - 22kHz Impedance: >8kΩ Input Connectors: Balanced analogue XLR, wired Pin-1 screen Weight: 8kg (17.6lbs) Amplifier Power per Channel: HF 65WrmsLF 100Wrms

I bet they sound good too.

Are they designed to be listened to at a closer distance than the PMC hifi speakers?

Also do you know what amps are in the twotwo6?

A video about the result 6 from Sound on Sound magazine .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=17&v=CqGewZXopXU

steve_1979 said:
The information about the amplifiers used is a bit ambiguous but it does sound like there might be new ones. I've asked for some confirmation on this.

"...Whatever, the net resesult is a significantly improved and larger speaker with the amps in their own compartment. I won't go into too much detail about the re-designed electronics because they aren't finalized yet."
I was intrigued by the statement in the longer quote that they are still analogue. I wonder what they mean? Hopefully not the schoolboy error of implying Class D amps are digital?!

Otherwise it is rather the usual improved model rhetoric, sounding at once like the previous model is hopelessly outclassed! However, good for them in extending the brand and their margins. More Gloucestershire speaker success!

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
nopiano said:
steve_1979 said:

"...Whatever, the net resesult is a significantly improved and larger speaker with the amps in their own compartment. I won't go into too much detail about the re-designed electronics because they aren't finalized yet."
I was intrigued by the statement in the longer quote that they are still analogue. I wonder what they mean? Hopefully not the schoolboy error of implying Class D amps are digital?!

Otherwise it is rather the usual improved model rhetoric, sounding at once like the previous model is hopelessly outclassed! However, good for them in extending the brand and their margins. More Gloucestershire speaker success!

God knows what the analogue bit means?

As far as outclassing the DM10 I think that is the intension. Don't quote me on this but I don't think that the DM12 is a replacement of the DM10 but a new higher quality model in the range and the DM10 will continue to be produced.

So there will be the DM5 (£1000) the DM10 (£2000) the DM12 (3000ish) and at some point a new floorstander.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
nopiano said:
steve_1979 said:

God knows what the analogue bit means?

Probably that they use a DAC, followed by a 'legacy' electronic cross-over -- amps -- drivers. And not DSP-XO -- DACs -- amps -- drivers. No?

gowiththeflow

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
radiorog said:
....Will be very interested to hear your thoughts on the dynaudio focus actives, and whether you think they would better the ATC19 with a decent £2-3K amp.

That would ideally be the ATC19a (active) then; which is priced similarly to the Focus 20XD.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
gowiththeflow said:
radiorog said:
....Will be very interested to hear your thoughts on the dynaudio focus actives, and whether you think they would better the ATC19 with a decent £2-3K amp.

That would ideally be the ATC19a (active) then; which is priced similarly to the Focus 20XD.
No, I'm curious how the passive ATC 19 and a 2-3k amp, therefore roughly the same price as the dyns, compare with the active dyns.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
radiorog said:
gowiththeflow said:
radiorog said:

No, I'm curious how the passive ATC 19 and a 2-3k amp, therefore roughly the same price as the dyns, compare with the active dyns.
But on those lines, maybe I need to hear the passive Vs the active ATC19.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
radiorog said:
radiorog said:
gowiththeflow said:
radiorog said:

But on those lines, maybe I need to hear the passive Vs the active ATC19.

The choice between the dynaudio and ATC 19 would come down to which one I preferred, regardless of active or passive.

But as I've compared the active ATC v the passive, I'd only consider active if I had to but ATC

Hope this helps

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
DocG said:
Andrewjvt said:
Now added to the list Thanks Dave

There’s a pro and a hifi version, I read on their website. Where’s the difference? Addition of RCA inputs? And a steep price rise, no doubt...

I see zero difference

I’ve spotted so far:

- piano gloss black finish

- Cryogenically Treated OFC Internal Wiring

So I guess they cost more too (nice finish + gullibility tax)

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
DocG said:
Andrewjvt said:
DocG said:
Andrewjvt said:
Now added to the list Thanks Dave

There’s a pro and a hifi version, I read on their website. Where’s the difference? Addition of RCA inputs? And a steep price rise, no doubt...

I see zero difference

I’ve spotted so far:

- piano gloss black finish

- Cryogenically Treated OFC Internal Wiring

So I guess they cost more too (nice finish + gullibility tax)
I did read that but
I don't take notice of stuff that won't make any difference between the 2 on sq

Nelis87

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
I don't know if this has been posted before but.. AirPulse A200. Engineered by Phil Jones. Good selection of inputs, DSP, really well build (1inch thick MDF) and good weight, special designed stands, apt-X, they seem to get some nice reviews too. I did not hear them myself, just sharing *preved*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts