The active speakers club

Page 50 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Pedro said:
Pedro said:
I don't own ATCs. It must be another Pedro. Well, we're millions of Pedros here in the Iberian Peninsula (I'm from Portugal) ;)

My main system is Naim/Neat and I was thinking about those JBLs for another room

I do now. This morning I went to dealer to demo a pair of SCM11s and after a couple of tracks I just fell in love with them.

Two Pedros, both ATC owners. Less confusing now.
I can understand that, having recently fallen for some SCM40, which I'm waiting to be made. I'm sure you'll enjoy them for many years.

Congratulations too on the Eurovision song which was rather charming and well deserved, imo!

Pedro

May 31, 2016
Visit site
@Andrewjvt: I'm driving them with a Naim Nap 155XS (60W/channel). It kinda does the job, but the speakers clearly need more power. I'm keeping an eye on alternatives in the second hand market, namely ATC's SIA2-150. Nord Class D amps also interest me, but sadly I can't demo one here...@nopiano and Pedro2: Thank you very much for the kind words. I have to say Eurovision isn't really my cup of tea but it was cool to see a countryman of mine getting the award. I really didn't know the lad before the contest.

Hi Pedro2

I've got AE1A's here on the end of of an Esoteric K-03X and a Hegel P30. Lovely
regular_smile.png

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Didn't realise you stocked them, Rick (not on the Acoustic Energy retailer list map?). I'm intrigued by your description, though. How 'lovely' are they and more to the point, how close do they give the SCM11s a run for their money? I realise that they're going to be a different animal but the honest/neutral signature may be there in both speakers. Or am I completely way off?

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Just got an email from AE telling me that Rick in Derby, you are the nearest dealer (not sure why you're not on their website though?)

Must try and get over for a listen. I could even compare them to the scm 11s although you're a bit quiet on how you find the two side by side
wink_smile.png

Hi Pedro2

I am sure we'll get listed soon.

Anyway AE1A's are an Acoustic Energy speaker and I for am glad that unlike some speakers I've come across in recent years (why even bother trying to emulate) they've not gone down the route of absolute neutrality.

Those familiar with passive AE1's will instantly recognise AE1A's. The AE1A's are significantly more dynamic, cleaner, transparent and powerful then AE1 passives while also having a little character that makes them an absolute joy to listen to.

Anyway, I am currently being immersed to the quality of DSD (courtesy of Esoteric's N-05) through AE1A's.

The best AE1's yet and probably my favourite AE speaker.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
I think it's Pedro's choice as too which speaker he prefers - He needs to listen to both himself and make his own informed choice - value for money comes into it as well.

cheers tonky

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
chebby said:
https://andreweverard.com/2017/08/09/bang-olufsen-launches-a-conventional-loudspeaker-well-almost/

You've got to hand it to B&O. They really are a company at the top of their game. Impressive engineering, design and styling all rolled into one.

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Not only that, it's my first real taste of actives full stop. Took my ATCs along for a quick comparison. Certainly no scientific double blind extended listened tests...... however ........ I've already placed an order for a pair that are coming complete with their own stands at the incredible price of £1150! Only problem now is, due to total lack of storage space here at home, got to sell my existing amp and speakers to make room for the new stuff.

How do the AEs sound? Absolutely stunning for their size and price. How do they compare to the ATCs? I heard my own speakers on the end of a Roksan K3 amp and I believe my Nord will do a much better job but ..... I've still decided to change.... so the proof of the pudding etc.

Both speakers had some shared characteristics, most notably a lack of colouration or distinct tone of their own. However, the ATCs appeared a little more 'boxy' than the AE1a with the actives having more air around instruments and vocals. In this respect, they presented a more engaging experience (to me anyway). I'll post more when I get them set up here at home (probably 3-4 weeks time))

What I can state with some certainty is that at the price, these speakers are amazing value. Bear in mind that I'm replacing the £1300 SC11s + the £1400 Nord with a pair of speakers that currently sell at £1000! I'm a little stunned!!!!

ps The AE1a were fresh out of the box this morning with no burn-in time on the clock ....... stunning!

Pedro

May 31, 2016
Visit site
Pedro2 said:
Not only that, it's my first real taste of actives full stop. Took my ATCs along for a quick comparison. Certainly no scientific double blind extended listened tests...... however ........ I've already placed an order for a pair that are coming complete with their own stands at the incredible price of £1150! Only problem now is, due to total lack of storage space here at home, got to sell my existing amp and speakers to make room for the new stuff.

How do the AEs sound? Absolutely stunning for their size and price. How do they compare to the ATCs? I heard my own speakers on the end of a Roksan K3 amp and I believe my Nord will do a much better job but ..... I've still decided to change.... so the proof of the pudding etc.

Both speakers had some shared characteristics, most notably a lack of colouration or distinct tone of their own. However, the ATCs appeared a little more 'boxy' than the AE1a with the actives having more air around instruments and vocals. In this respect, they presented a more engaging experience (to me anyway). I'll post more when I get them set up here at home (probably 3-4 weeks time))

What I can state with some certainty is that at the price, these speakers are amazing value. Bear in mind that I'm replacing the £1300 SC11s + the £1400 Nord with a pair of speakers that currently sell at £1000! I'm a little stunned!!!!

ps The AE1a were fresh out of the box this morning with no burn-in time on the clock ....... stunning!

Blimey, you're letting the ATCs go...

Did you compare the AE1s against other active monitors?

If you're happy with them congrats on the purchase! :)

Stuart.W.D

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys,

I have a pair of Q Acoustic BT3's that i use for my TV. I ordered a Marantz PM8005 amplifier yesterday to match my CD6005. I don't have any passive speakers at the moment. I was just wondering in the short-term would this be possible to connect my active speakers to the preout on the PM8005?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Stuart.W.D said:
Hi guys,

I have a pair of Q Acoustic BT3's that i use for my TV. I ordered a Marantz PM8005 amplifier yesterday to match my CD6005. I don't have any passive speakers at the moment. I was just wondering in the short-term would this be possible to connect my active speakers to the preout on the PM8005?

That should be absolutely fine. Just remember you will have a volume control both on the amplifier and the speakers, just pre-set one, speakers probably, to give a sensible level and forget. Use the amp as normal.

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Pedro said:
Pedro2 said:

Blimey, you're letting the ATCs go...

Did you compare the AE1s against other active monitors?

If you're happy with them congrats on the purchase! :)

Yes. It looks like I'm letting them go. Some may consider it a little rash or hasty but there are a couple of factors to consider. I actually preferred the sound of the AEs and they will be a better fit in our not-so-huge living room. The ATCs tend to dominate the room a little and the AEs are more compact in this respect. Regarding the comparison with other actives, I don't need the multi functionality of the KEF LS50w and I'm not too keen to shell out £1000s more for ATC actives. I would have liked to have heard the AVI actives but the DM10s are now £2000. I'm not sure that they would be worth the extra (double?)

I'm only really going to know for sure when I get these speakers performing at home but I'm not anticipating any disasters! They were a knock out right out of the box. The shop owner told me that he was also surprised by their cost and had bought a pair for his own use.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Pedro2 said:
...I've already placed an order for a pair...

Great stuff and welcome to the active speakers club. *good*

I've never heard the AE1 actives but I have heard some of their other speakers (including their active studio monitors) which were all good. I bet the AE1 are excellent too.

There was a pair on eBay last week. They look really nice in the photos and I would have bid on them if I didn't already own a pair of DM10s and DM5s. I was still tempted even though I'd have nowhere to put them.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Are so rare that there is very little to compare them to. The AVI DM5 is a bit smaller and slightly cheaper, the ADM10 and the active LS50s are twice the price and offer such greater functionality that they are barely compatible.

I feel that the competition is really the pro-style monitors and at £1k they are effectively the same price as the Adam A7x, a speaker I know well. I have not heard the AE1a so I have no idea how they compare but it is a comparison I would really like to do.

I mention the A7x as I am familiar with them and like them a lot, but at this price point there are lads of options, Eve, Dynaudio, Focal, Genelec among others. some interesting dems to be done, I think.

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I agree. At this price point, there's not much to compare within the domestic field. The LS50w would have been a total waste of the Linn streamer as they convert all incoming signals into the digital domain effectively making the Akurate redundant (before anyone suggests this as an option, I must add that I do like this piece of my kit rather a lot).

A setting where you could compare the AE1a with Genelec, Adam et al might be rarer than a set of hen's teeth! Would be good, though .....

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Pedro2 said:
Not only that, it's my first real taste of actives full stop. Took my ATCs along for a quick comparison. Certainly no scientific double blind extended listened tests...... however ........ I've already placed an order for a pair that are coming complete with their own stands at the incredible price of £1150! Only problem now is, due to total lack of storage space here at home, got to sell my existing amp and speakers to make room for the new stuff.

How do the AEs sound? Absolutely stunning for their size and price. How do they compare to the ATCs? I heard my own speakers on the end of a Roksan K3 amp and I believe my Nord will do a much better job but ..... I've still decided to change.... so the proof of the pudding etc.

Both speakers had some shared characteristics, most notably a lack of colouration or distinct tone of their own. However, the ATCs appeared a little more 'boxy' than the AE1a with the actives having more air around instruments and vocals. In this respect, they presented a more engaging experience (to me anyway). I'll post more when I get them set up here at home (probably 3-4 weeks time))

Interesting stuff
I'd like to hear the ae1 also

I'd just like to warn you I had a similar experience comparing atc11s v dm20s
With the ATC sounding boxy also
But I'd warn you that correctly setup in another comparison the differences disappeared and I preferred the ATC as more engaging and alive (not safe boring)
So I just warn you

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
The difference in sound between the two speakers was certainly not night and day and you can tell that they both come from a pro monitor birthplace. Neither appear to embellish the music with their own flavour (coloration?).

I'm only going to really know when they're home and run in. I'm even prepared to miss some aspects of the ATCs as long as the overall experience is as good/better to me (and my better half).

It is worth reading the reviews of the AE1a however. There are 2or 3 around at the moment. Reviewers are finding them hard to fault. I hope that I will come to agree with them. I will keep you posted!

For anyone considering AE1A's you might be interested to know that I've used AE1A's over a period of several months and from switch on they do take fifteen minutes or so to come on song but even this is subtle at the most. As to breaking/running in AE1A's they sound as they did when they were first fired up months ago.

Place, plug, play (try tweaking controls), forget and save your time.

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
For anyone considering AE1A's you might be interested to know that I've used AE1A's over a period of several months and from switch on they do take fifteen minutes or so to come on song but even this is subtle at the most. As to breaking/running in AE1A's they sound as they did when they were first fired up months ago.

Place, plug, play (try tweaking controls), forget and save your time.

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

As someone who has actually used a pair, how do you find the bass/treble controls?

Are they useful? How do you have yours set? How about close to a wall, do they help?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts