Something really diferent

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
After my 'in retrospect' thread . . . How's this for a 'curved ball' . . . a full rang speaker?*preved*

Always had a hankering for Lowthers after I heard a pair in the 60's, but cost and runing with the flow has always been an issue? I sat here thinking this morning in between visiting the Doctors with my Hazel and spending more cash at Morrisons, half of which we did not need. I do enjoy buying her treats, this week it was a box of 'Ferrero Rocher' chocolates, half price, £5 down to £2.50, aint I generous.*smile*

Any way as life went on the cogs turned and the grey matter churned? Where could I get a pair of full range speakers to 'play with' . . . this is not such a silly idea, I like tweaking, I'm fairly nifty with hamer and six inch nails, one seems to remember seeing Wilmslow Audio do 'full range speaker kits'?

. . . They do, There is an appeling floor stander, 'Jordan Eikona' and its transmission line too, I like my transmission lines. Not a sensible route for most I'm sure but this is CJSF, king of the tweakers.

Wilmslow tell me the 'Eikona' is one of the newest designes out of the Jordan camp, it has been well received. I can go up to Rugby and have a listen, home dem is impractical of course. Basic MDF, with a paint finish, like making my model airplanes.

So, its unlikly anyone has any experiance with the 'Eikona' but does any one have any experiance or ideas on full range drive units and speakers?

I said it was a curved ball . . . CJSF *crazy*

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I think it's a brilliant curved ball CJ, and has got to be far more rewarding than jacking-up your turntable on tuppence-pieces and trying to decide whether it sounds better with them heads-up, tails-up or some combination of both. (Not that you've ever posted about doing literally that, but you get my drift.) Looking forward already to reading your considered thoughts on the experience. *good*

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
After the Ferrero Rocher incident, we will have to start calling you 'Ambassador'.

"Ambassador, wiz zese Lowzer speakers you are really spoiling us".

Matt

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
I think it's a brilliant curved ball CJ, and has got to be far more rewarding than jacking-up your turntable on tuppence-pieces and trying to decide whether it sounds better with them heads-up, tails-up or some combination of both. (Not that you've ever posted about doing literally that, but you get my drift.) Looking forward already to reading your considered thoughts on the experience. *good*

Yes MF I do get your drift . . . finding those little tiny extras gets harder and harder. This full range driver/speaker is radical from my point of view. There is a very tight nit following in the high end hifi for this type of speaker which gets little or no airing from anywhere . . . and yet there is a number of full range manufacturers, they must be doing something right.

Dont hold you breath on any of these reports that I may make? Nothing will happen untill I get the new automatic car, I cant drive very far with my leg as it is in my curent manual car.

One of the things I have dug out in the past few days is how polarised people seem to be over the PMC 20 range, its a Marmite thing, probably applicable to a lot of modern speaker designes? Looking forward to hearing the Audio Note AX2, a speaker that by all accounts does not get the praise it deserves, but . . . there is always a 'but', finish is not as good as it could be, although it is adequate in 'vinyl wrap', raising the finish will raise the cost, there is also a production problem at the moment . . . Audio Note assure me, this will be overcome in a few weeks? Life is never easy.

CJSF

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Jordan full range speakers?

Fire up the kiln in your shed (i'm sure you have one) ...

flagon%2001.jpg

(Jordan Watts Flagons.)

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
The "Jordan Eikona" looks an interesting project, so interesting that I am even tempted myself. However I have a few other projects to complete first.

I shall read with interest how you get on.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Yep its all beginig to pan out as a project, rather than find a new pair of speakers . . . I have been working on the room placement today, I thought I had it right a long time ago . . . I have found another 100mm of width between the LB1 speakers, turned them in a few extra degrees . . .sounding much better, certainly enough to take the foot of the 'loud gas peddle'.

Relax, wait for the new motor, then do some dealer visiting. In the meantime, enjoy some music . . . *smile*

Curently playing Hanns Theessink 'Slow Train', rather apropriate . . . *ok*

CJSF

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
CJSF said:
Yep its all beginig to pan out as a project, rather than find a new pair of speakers . . . I have been working on the room placement today, I thought I had it right a long time ago . . . I have found another 100mm of width between the LB1 speakers, turned them in a few extra degrees . . .sounding much better, certainly enough to take the foot of the 'loud gas peddle'.

Relax, wait for the new motor, then do some dealer visiting. In the meantime, enjoy some music . . . *smile*

CJSF

Whatever you decide to do CJSF , remember that you LB1's are still very good loudspeakers and they are going to be an extremely hard act to follow *smile*

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Electro said:
CJSF said:

CJSF

Whatever you decide to do CJSF , remember that you LB1's are still very good loudspeakers and they are going to be an extremely hard act to follow *smile*

How right you are Electro . . . I'm still playing with them on position and they are responding*yes3* I'm curently thinking of doing the Harbeths at home, I want to hear the Audio Note AX2, a 100 mile drive to the nearest dealer! Plus a trip to Wilmslow Audio to hear the full range Eikona, another 100 mile drive.

Unless the Audio Notes are truly remarkable or the Harbeths are simply heaven? I will probably treat the Eikonas as a project, I like to fiddle and building things in wood, 'full range' is an itch I have wanted to scratch for years.

I'm already think of ways to modify the cabinet/base, another itch I never scratched when I was 'Foudation Audio', I can finaly put that knowledge, experiance . . . and 'black art' theory to good use. The best way for me to understand the cabinet is to build it, especialy as it is a complicated, 4 inch wide, folded horn, a whole new world may be opening up, full of compromises . . . but then what hifi is not a compromise?

. . . and getting rid of those nasty crosover components is a strong draw . . . *crazy*

CJSF

CJSF

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts