HI-Fi Game Changers for 2024?

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Gray

Playing today on desktop with Tidal / Wiim / B&W 706 S3
for 300quids nothing comes close VFM of the charts

That's the sort of VFM product that makes you wonder, not why you want one, but why you don't.

masterblaster

Dec 5, 2015
Visit site
Certainly not a gamechanger, but it is a different (and fun I guess) game in terms of approach.

Room Correction and Bass Management on PC: Dirac Live + DLBC
Multichannel DSP crossover: miniDSP Flex HT
Amplifiers: some Hypex Ncore or whatever fits best
Loudspeaker system for use with outboard crossover: Sun Audio Purified 4

A kind of DIY / PA system but more user friendly with the tweaking audiophile in mind. Expensive but nice.

Dom

I often go to Mc Donald's for there Mc Plant burger :hamburger:

Quite often there's this dude rocking the Dyson headphones with the air purifier.
It's interesting to encounter such unique individuals, the dude even got sun glasses which look like Robotnik's shades.
il_1588xN.4048752953_l57w.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Jasonovich

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
I often go to Mc Donald's for there Mc Plant burger :hamburger:

Quite often there's this dude rocking the Dyson headphones with the air purifier.
It's interesting to encounter such unique individuals, the dude even got sun glasses which look like Robotnik's shades.
il_1588xN.4048752953_l57w.jpg
Apart from looking like Bertie the Android, I wonder if he's getting a backhand for advertising their products?

nightanddaygamechangers

Nov 19, 2023
Visit site
In that review ^^^^ he specifically compares against a Fosi V3 with the larger power supply, the SU-1 DAC and the WiiM Pro. It’s only $50 more and he says easily betters the WiiM Amp. But for many wanting a solid all in one second system is an ideal solution. The biggest negative, in his opinion, is that it has no upgrade potential, as it has no digital outputs, so you couldn’t just use it as a streamer later on if you decided to upgrade your DAC or amp.

I’ve also seen reviews indicating that the Fosi V3, though good for the money, is also bettered by a budget class AB, costing £250.

Nothing really new as mentioned above.

Reactions: daveh75

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
In that review ^^^^ he specifically compares against a Fosi V3 with the larger power supply, the SU-1 DAC and the WiiM Pro. It’s only $50 more and he says easily betters the WiiM Amp. But for many wanting a solid all in one second system is an ideal solution. The biggest negative, in his opinion, is that it has no upgrade potential, as it has no digital outputs, so you couldn’t just use it as a streamer later on if you decided to upgrade your DAC or amp.

I’ve also seen reviews indicating that the Fosi V3, though good for the money, is also bettered by a budget class AB, costing £250.

Nothing really new as mentioned above.
In terms of the upgrade option it is rather limiting but for under £300, the omission isn't as critical had it cost much more than the price they're asking.
To put it into context, they're targeting the budget conscious consumer who just wants to plug it into some speakers and start streaming.

Last edited:
Reactions: Al ears

daveh75

There was a bunch of them back before the recent price rises, like the Yamaha one, whatever it was called.
The Yamaha WXA-50 was over £400, and frankly the Musiccast app isn't great, and the physical remote was akin to those you get with cheap, generic, Chinese LED lighting you find on Amazon or eBay.

The WXC-50 streaming DAC was about £300 iirc., but Yamaha seems to have abandoned the MusicCast platform, at least as far as Hifi separates are concerned.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts