HI-Fi Game Changers for 2024?

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Well as it was launched 18 months ago and this is the first you’ve heard of it I’d say that’s a negatory.

For room correction Lyngdorf is a bit more established.
There are some great Scandinavian products out there that are similar such as Hegel and of course Lyngdorf but hand on heart, first time I heard of this outfit and they seem pretty impressive. What I'm alluding to; I've not seen class D at this premium price level and I wonder if this will be the catalyst for manufacturers to move away from traditional AB designs, is this a game changer?
You love the remote right? :)

Well as it was launched 18 months ago and this is the first you’ve heard of it I’d say that’s a negatory.
Exactly. Genuine “game changers” take the market by storm, not just social media. It’s quite easy to flood social media with positive reviews and wild claims, especially from online reviewer wannabes that very few people have heard of.

There are some great Scandinavian products out there that are similar such as Hegel and of course Lyngdorf but hand on heart, first time I heard of this outfit and they seem pretty impressive. What I'm alluding to; I've not seen class D at this premium price level and I wonder if this will be the catalyst for manufacturers to move away from traditional AB designs, is this a game changer?
But we've seen some manufacturers dabble in Class D before, only to fall back to Class AB for sound quality/other reasons. Budget Class D sounds ok, but doesn’t really come into its own until much further up the pricing scale.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
I'm fully aware of what it is, there are bells and whistles included in the package but it remains that the target audience is the streaming fraternity. Am I correct or not?
Apologies I hope I didn't come across as pedantic.
I can only answer your question from a personal context because I am not privy to the appropriate marketing data, though it's fair to assume that this will be used primarily as a streamer.

Hypothetically, if I was starting out fresh, I would want the DMP-A8 to be my central all in one unit, where I can stream stuff from the internet, I can use it as a server to play my entire collection of music through the built in DAC and; the preamp outputs would feed into my head phone amp and the balanced analogue outputs would feed into my active speakers. I can also add a cd player if so desired or turntable via the preamp input.

daveh75

I didn't realise you could upgrade the PSU on Eversolo devices. I think that's a great idea having a modular approach. Just a few screws and a pair of 8 pin power connectors I think and you're done. It won't be Linn money either.

Deleted by moderation.

Makes you wonder what's wrong with the current PSUs, if they 'need' an upgrade. It's becoming a popular choice for companies running out of ideas for ripping people off. The Cyrus PSU-XR is a standalone PSU, but come on people, £2395 to make the leccy a bit cleaner?

Deleted by moderation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Exactly. Genuine “game changers” take the market by storm, not just social media. It’s quite easy to flood social media with positive reviews and wild claims, especially from online reviewer wannabes that very few people have heard of.
I think social media plays a big hand in getting people interested, it is a marketing tool and it gives exposure to a product deservedly or undeservedly. The acid test and the question to ask, this kind of exposure will it get peoples butt off their seats and go and buy the product?

It is worth mentioning, when there was a song and dance about the DMP-A6, I did try to purchase one but the online retailers I tried had sold out. I ended up with the much quieter sibling but arguably better sounding, the Eversolo standalone DAC Z8 and; the JF digital transport was later added.

podknocker

Game changers are few and far between and it's difficult hitting and disrupting the market with a masterpiece of technology that nobody could have imagined. Stuff now is usually a collection of the latest tech etc. The A6 and A8 have merged many facets of the modern tech sector, including the potential of local storage , using SSDs for example. It's all about refining current technologies now, such as storage, Class D amps etc. I can't imagine anything radically different appearing. We seem to have most bases covered at the moment.

I think social media plays a big hand in getting people interested, it is a marketing tool and it gives exposure to a product deservedly or undeservedly. The acid test and the question to ask, this kind of exposure will it get peoples butt off their seats and go and buy the product?

It is worth mentioning, when there was a song and dance about the DMP-A6, I did try to purchase one but the online retailers I tried had sold out. I ended up with the much quieter sibling but arguably better sounding, the Eversolo standalone DAC Z8 and; the JF digital transport was later added.
And yet now, the same YouTubers reviewing the A8 who made a big song and dance about the A6, re now saying the A6 sounds a bit “dull”, “boring”, “flat”, etc etc when reviewing the A8.

podknocker

And yet now, the same YouTubers reviewing the A8 who made a big song and dance about the A6, re now saying the A6 sounds a bit “dull”, “boring”, “flat”, etc etc when reviewing the A8.
Andrew Robinson reviewed the NAD M33 and said the sound was so perfect, it sounded boring. Utter tripe.

The thing is, we all have different tastes in sound quality, but if you don't like the perfect reproduction of a recording, it's not the devices fault, it's yours!

Reactions: WayneKerr

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
The A6 at it's price point is still amazing value but we're not comparing apples with apples, the A8 is more than twice the price.

Reactions: manicm

WayneKerr

Apologies I hope I didn't come across as pedantic.
I can only answer your question from a personal context because I am not privy to the appropriate marketing data, though it's fair to assume that this will be used primarily as a streamer.

Hypothetically, if I was starting out fresh, I would want the DMP-A8 to be my central all in one unit, where I can stream stuff from the internet, I can use it as a server to play my entire collection of music through the built in DAC and; the preamp outputs would feed into my head phone amp and the balanced analogue outputs would feed into my active speakers. I can also add a cd player if so desired or turntable via the preamp input.
No apologies necessary Jason, it's only a forum, we're all decent guys at heart and share a common passion :) (y)

podknocker

Why the disappointment?
You don't have to bridge it.

Looks pretty good to me - now how much is it?
I think this adds a layer of complication and possibly confusion. Just a couple of clearly labelled inputs would have been enough. It will match the A6 and let's hope they do another amp for the A8 and it doesn't offer the bridging option. It must be a very low percentage of users wanting this feature.

Last edited:
Reactions: WayneKerr

daytona600

Playing today on desktop with Tidal / Wiim / B&W 706 S3
for 300quids nothing comes close VFM of the charts

Juzzie Wuzzie

Playing today on desktop with Tidal / Wiim / B&W 706 S3
for 300quids nothing comes close VFM of the charts

If only it came in black :)

TRENDING THREADS