HI-Fi Game Changers for 2024?

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

podknocker

I'm more than willing to be corrected on this product's origins, if it's not made in China, but I'm not moving on it's spec, build and attempt to enter the streaming sector, guns blazing. It's got its own DSP to tweak the frequencies, à la Dirac, but doesn't require an expensive licence, or asking your mate Terry Ellis to pop round. The DMP-A8 is £1890 and there's probably a good reason for that. The internals look incredible and the attention to detail and part selection is some of the best I've seen. The interface looks very intuitive and the display is large and clear and gives you plenty of options. People snigger at the VU meter settings, but didn't do much of that when the Audiolab 9000N came out. I have an Omnia with the optional VU meters and I do think they're a waste of time, but if you like them, there are loads on the Eversolo. Again, the display is miles in front of Cyrus and the connectivity is just as good, if not better. I hope WHF get hold of one and give it a thorough and fair review. The reviews I've watched seem to be fair and not sponsored by Eversolo. I give them the same credence as reviews for other streamers I've also not seen or owned. I think slagging it off when you haven't used or heard one is unfair.

Last edited:

daveh75

I doubt the UK has any influence now over this massive IAG conglomerate. You can't say a Chinese brand such as Eversolo is worse than another Chinese brand, which used to be a UK brand, without using or listening to the component in question.

Yet, here you are telling the world the A8 is a game changing product without ever having clapped eyes on it...

WayneKerr

I doubt the UK has any influence now over this massive IAG conglomerate. You can't say a Chinese brand such as Eversolo is worse than another Chinese brand, which used to be a UK brand, without using or listening to the component in question. I've owned several IAG products and they've fallen short in so many areas. The fact is, this DMP-A8 thingy is built to a high standard, has more features than most, if not all of the competition and is reasonably priced. If Audiolab or Luxman had released this device, there would be endless plaudits and gushing reviews, because people don't like change. They stick with what they know and fear any newcomers, or competition. I hope Eversolo carry on making great streamers and eventually Class D amplifiers and become an established and respected brand. The 'UK' ChiFi is overrated in my opinion and I do think the UK HIFI press are biased towards anything that's home grown because of this irrational and insular attitude. I don't know why ' through the mindset of the Chinese' would be an issue and I bet the Eversolo production line is as modern and exacting as the IAG production lines. The Eversolo DMP-A8 is better than anything else out there and should be given the chance it deserves.
All this product is is a disrupter, lets see if it can live up to all the hype generated in this thread. No one has seen it or heard it in the flesh, it's all spec sheet conjecture. If Audiolab or Luxman had released it then it would still be the same - conjecture, however, these are established brands with years of experience, Eversolo is not...

Reactions: davidf and daveh75

podknocker

All this product is is a disrupter, lets see if it can live up to all the hype generated in this thread. No one has seen it or heard it in the flesh, it's all spec sheet conjecture. If Audiolab or Luxman had released it then it would still be the same - conjecture, however, these are established brands with years of experience, Eversolo is not...
It's true Eversolo are a new brand, but they are using tried and tested components in a state of the art streamer. It's not as if they are attempting to capture a slice of the pie using ancient parts and production methods. Time will tell obviously, but Audiolab and Luxman were new names at some point in history. These brands are almost worshipped by some. Let's hope Eversolo can achieve the same.

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
"nightandaygamech" ( it concluded that although a good all in one solution, it can be bettered with individual components for less money......)
Absolutely, I can think of many combos at that price even many audio wall panels etc that's mostly overlooked run an android os.
These have been around yrs now so it's not a game changer.
They are a separate android interface that one can marry up to many options mostly found in high end houses.
As for dsp its in many amps like the acram sa30 which I now own as my main hifi amp, it's not a game changer neither it's just a gimicky way of adjusting bass, balance, treble and gain etc via a wave form, I switch it off where it remains.
It's very like a mixing desk equaliser in a different guise.
Id rather have a treble and bass dial instead of having to go into a laptop to adjust things.
Theres a place for this dmp a8 but not as a game changer.
Game changers are things like CDs were to records and Bluetooth coming around to replace physical connections etc.
Big things that changed the way the game is played not just another team playing it.
I decided to look at the dmp8 to see what the interest was over but I see nothing in it thats not already on the shelves.

nightanddaygamechangers

Nov 19, 2023
Visit site
I do hope all this hype and speculation does give the brand a bit more exposure and launch it into the mainstream market, with the other fantastic products. The more I read or see about this device, the more I want one.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eROJE6HQbtc
What’s your definition of mainstream? One of these in Richer Sounds or Sevenoaks would be significantly more expensive due to the additional costs that would incur.

podknocker

Audio Emotion sell this for £1890 and I'm sure they are making a tidy profit. Richer Sounds have always been competitive and would possibly settle for less margin than AE for example. Someone many years ago said Cyrus would never be sold on Richer Sounds, but they do sell Cyrus now. I think Cyrus need as many outlets as possible, now there's so much competition. RS sell Cyrus kit for the same as 'boutique' sites, so I can't see this being any different for the Eversolo products, if they do get their foot in the door.

Last edited:
I do hope all this hype and speculation does give the brand a bit more exposure and launch it into the mainstream market, with the other fantastic products. The more I read or see about this device, the more I want one.
Well it won’t be long before someone buys one based on the hype and is left disappointed, as we’ve seen with the A6, so you might be able to pick one up cheaper.

Expectation is everything, and when products are built up like this, they end up becoming a disappointment to a wider audience.

Well it won’t be long before someone buys one based on the hype and is left disappointed, as we’ve seen with the A6, so you might be able to pick one up cheaper.

Expectation is everything, and when products are built up like this, they end up becoming a disappointment to a wider audience.
Amd precisely why is this if it actually does what is stated in the spec?

Amd precisely why is this if it actually does what is stated in the spec?
I’m presuming the onboard EQ is maybe a parametric EQ at best, which isn’t exactly something that’s not attainable elsewhere - anyone running Roon has access to EQ - not that anyone should be using it really. Digital EQ in digital components can end up with reduced headroom if used incorrectly or used too heavily. On all other fronts, it’s a streamer. It does what a streamer does. So it has digital inputs. great for people that don’t already have any, but nothing exciting for those who already have digital inputs in one form or another.

Or maybe you’re referring to something else? What in the specs states this is going to sound amazing?

It doesn’t matter what the specs are, it’s how it sounds. There’s been plenty of people buying the likes of RME, SMSL, and even Eversolo who have stated on social media that while there’s nothing wrong with the product (although some aren’t without their reliability issues), it just hasn’t come up to their expectations for sound quality. A lot distortion figure is just one small piece of the puzzle. Expectation is the same with anything - people and press build something up, gets people talking, raises hopes that the product is the be all and end all to a mass market, and then falls a little flat after people hear it or click-to-buy from a website (based on the hype) and fine it’s a little underwhelming. If we believed the hype of other brands, everyone would have SMSL, Denafrips, Bouchardt etc at home. Some have even sold Denafrips on after purchasing because it’s fallen short of what they’ve expected and found more suitable products.

nightanddaygamechangers

Nov 19, 2023
Visit site
Audio Emotion sell this for £1890 and I'm sure they are making a tidy profit. Richer Sounds have always been competitive and would possibly settle for less margin than AE for example. Someone many years ago said Cyrus would never be sold on Richer Sounds, but they do sell Cyrus now. I think Cyrus need as many outlets as possible, now there's so much competition. RS sell Cyrus kit for the same as 'boutique' sites, so I can't see this being any different for the Eversolo products, if they do get their foot in the door.
It appears there are a few UK online distributors. I’m not sure we’ll see one on the high street anytime soon though. I certainly wouldn’t travel to Fife for a demo.

Last edited:
I’m presuming the onboard EQ is maybe a parametric EQ at best, which isn’t exactly something that’s not attainable elsewhere - anyone running Roon has access to EQ - not that anyone should be using it really. Digital EQ in digital components can end up with reduced headroom if used incorrectly or used too heavily. On all other fronts, it’s a streamer. It does what a streamer does. So it has digital inputs. great for people that don’t already have any, but nothing exciting for those who already have digital inputs in one form or another.

Or maybe you’re referring to something else? What in the specs states this is going to sound amazing?

It doesn’t matter what the specs are, it’s how it sounds. There’s been plenty of people buying the likes of RME, SMSL, and even Eversolo who have stated on social media that while there’s nothing wrong with the product (although some aren’t without their reliability issues), it just hasn’t come up to their expectations for sound quality. A lot distortion figure is just one small piece of the puzzle. Expectation is the same with anything - people and press build something up, gets people talking, raises hopes that the product is the be all and end all to a mass market, and then falls a little flat after people hear it or click-to-buy from a website (based on the hype) and fine it’s a little underwhelming. If we believed the hype of other brands, everyone would have SMSL, Denafrips, Bouchardt etc at home. Some have even sold Denafrips on after purchasing because it’s fallen short of what they’ve expected and found more suitable products.
I guess with most of these you have to buy on faith, and hopefully a good returns policy, as they don't rely on dealers or their mark ups, which is understandable when it comes to dealers dismissing them.
It is, therefore, understandable that many who buy purely on faith will be disappointed.

podknocker

True. A lack of distributors can make or break a product, unless you are the type to buy purely on other people's reviews.
Yes, it's catch 22 really. You need it in shops to be visible and get people looking. It will only be in shops, if people want it and shops get the stock levels to satisfy demand. There are some very unfair and biased youtube reviews, but there are just as many honest and decent people, just wanting to give a balanced review and share their enthusiasm. There are some negative reviews and some positive reviews for just about anything you can buy.

Reactions: Jasonovich
Yes, it's catch 22 really. You need it in shops to be visible and get people looking. It will only be in shops, if people want it and shops get the stock levels to satisfy demand. There are some very unfair and biased youtube reviews, but there are just as many honest and decent people, just wanting to give a balanced review and share their enthusiasm.
Define biased and or balanced reviews. Who decides?
Go listen yourself is the only way.
Too many phony reviewers around these days that will spout anything you require if paid a nice wadge of money.

daytona600

I’m not sure we’ll see one on the high street anytime soon

Eversolo sell direct , good reason the high street will not stock if on amazon or direct sales
DMPA8 totally outclassed by a Rose RS130 Sound , operation , build
on the high street & not on amazon 130 Rose_RS130.jpg

podknocker

I’m not sure we’ll see one on the high street anytime soon

Eversolo sell direct , good reason the high street will not stock if on amazon or direct sales
DMPA8 totally outclassed by a Rose RS130 Sound , operation , build
on the high street & not on amazon View attachment 5580
I'm sure it's a nice bit of kit, but how do you know this, if you can't get one to listen to? Why would the manufacturer's assessment be more reliable than youtubes? If they want you to buy one, they could say any old rubbish to convince you to order from them. It's the same argument.

podknocker

Define biased and or balanced reviews. Who decides?
Go listen yourself is the only way.
Too many phony reviewers around these days that will spout anything you require if paid a nice wadge of money.
It's true you need to listen to one, to see if it's the sound you want, but when it comes to features, you really can't deceive people in a video, with the genuine connectivity and menus etc.

podknocker

People not knowing how to use a certain feature like DSP for example, doesn't mean the feature shouldn't be there in the first place. It's nice having a DSP app similar to Dirac correction. I've watched all the videos and read all the articles and it cannot sound terrible. It really doesn't appear to have been rushed and thrown together and does look like a very high quality, professional one box solution. Eversolo might prefer direct only sales, rather than allow many sites to place this in a bundle with an amp and speakers which could possibly not allow this streamer to give its best.

Reactions: Jasonovich

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts