HI-Fi Game Changers for 2024?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

podknocker

£1900 EverSolo DMP-A8 like most Chifi equipment will be worthless in a few years , with no service , support or spares Spend the extra for Rotel / Marantz / Denon etc

View attachment 5564
You might be right, but things could develop and they could become a big player also. Another option is the HIFI Rose RS520 which is owned my a massive South Korean company and they have been a big player in many sectors since the 1950s. Rotel, Marantz and Denon were unknown at some point and they are well known brands now, because they made and still make great devices. Eversolo make some great kit and they could sell loads. It really would be in the company's interest to offer after sales support and parts if there were enough products to support. I've said this before, but the streaming amp/DAC sector is not as old as the CD, or normal amp sectors, but it will grow. Go back 20 or 25 years and there were very few brands selling streamers or streaming amps etc. Today, most companies are making streaming devices, because they know it's a growing sector. The market will be awash with these things and only the best products will sell. This will give companies an incentive, firstly to make great streamers, but secondly to offer great technical after sales support if anything goes wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jasonovich
Dunno. Don't really care. Rubbish title for a thread. How do you know a particular component is a "game changer" if you haven't demoed it?

I've always said my amp WAS a game changer in its day: switchable in-built phono stage. How many amps had those back in 2008? More inputs than you can shake a stick at, incl a headphone and MP3 connectivity. And the sound is sublime. Even modern sub-2k integrateds struggle to see off my amp.

In some respects, it's the hi-fi equivalent to my Alfa 156: won so many plaudits and awards yet hardly anyone purchased it.

In 2023 it's still a little gem.

Reactions: doifeellucky

manicm

As far as I can see there's no real game changer in Hifi for 2024, including the EverSolo DMP-A8, however good it may be.

I'll give some external context - Sony have launched the first ever major camera with a global shutter, the A9 Mk3. Now THAT's a game changer in its market.

Companies like Linn and Chord did game changing things when they developed and used their own DAC chips - not using off the shelf brands like ESS, AKM etc etc. But alas they're not affordable.

In the geneal audio world, I'd say the Nakamichi Dragon has changed the game for soundbars - it's the first ever to use the Dolby Atmos implementation that's exclusively used in standalone AV amps, for example. Yes, you read that right - Dolby Atmos ain't the same in soundbars and AV amps.

Reactions: Jasonovich

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
As far as I can see there's no real game changer in Hifi for 2024, including the EverSolo DMP-A8, however good it may be.

I'll give some external context - Sony have launched the first ever major camera with a global shutter, the A9 Mk3. Now THAT's a game changer in its market.

Companies like Linn and Chord did game changing things when they developed and used their own DAC chips - not using off the shelf brands like ESS, AKM etc etc. But alas they're not affordable.

In the geneal audio world, I'd say the Nakamichi Dragon has changed the game for soundbars - it's the first ever to use the Dolby Atmos implementation that's exclusively used in standalone AV amps, for example. Yes, you read that right - Dolby Atmos ain't the same in soundbars and AV amps.
Sony make really good mirrorless cameras, the others like Canon and Nikon have only just caught up.
I can't remember the publication was it What Digital Camera?
I believe Nikon mirrorless Z8 got the Camera of the Year Award, in my humble opinion, I also think that was a game changer.

Just to add, I understand the Nakamichi Dragon was only for the US market, are they importing them to the UK now? Yeah excuse the pun but that really sets the bar.

Last edited:

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Dunno. Don't really care. Rubbish title for a thread. How do you know a particular component is a "game changer" if you haven't demoed it?

I've always said my amp WAS a game changer in its day: switchable in-built phono stage. How many amps had those back in 2008? More inputs than you can shake a stick at, incl a headphone and MP3 connectivity. And the sound is sublime. Even modern sub-2k integrateds struggle to see off my amp.

In some respects, it's the hi-fi equivalent to my Alfa 156: won so many plaudits and awards yet hardly anyone purchased it.

In 2023 it's still a little gem.
LOL there's a question mark after the title, it wasn't a statement. Debate is good that is the whole purpose of this thread.

There was a big fuss not so long about the RME DACs - where’s that wave gone? People jump on whatever new budget product comes along that someone on YouTube tells them is the best thing available/giantkiller/etc etc. It seems to happen with products where there’s a huge belief by one side of the HiFi fraternity that there can be no difference - like amps and DACs - in this case, “it’s all zeros and ones, and it sounds the same as a “high end” DAC because it used the same chip. Odd though how they brag about the specific DAC being used though if they do all actually sound the same…
Of course, it’s not just about the chip. Theres still aspects of the digital circuitry and it’s PSU that can affect the outcome, as well as what you do with the analogue section and analogue output. If RME was really that good, we’d still be hearing about them. I’m guessing the Eversolos will eventually go the same way, although they’ve got a better chance of staying in the domestic hifi market because they’re geared a little more to domestic users, and has a whacking great big display on the front - always a draw!
even happened with the likes of SMSL only a year ago or so, but that’s dwindled too. I think once the hype has subsided, people start to see exactly what they are, and see their place in the market. If Eversolo was as good as everyone says, there’d be none up in the second hand market. But I guess that’s the modern side of viral video marketing and click-to-buy websites.

podknocker

There was a big fuss not so long about the RME DACs - where’s that wave gone? People jump on whatever new budget product comes along that someone on YouTube tells them is the best thing available/giantkiller/etc etc. It seems to happen with products where there’s a huge belief by one side of the HiFi fraternity that there can be no difference - like amps and DACs - in this case, “it’s all zeros and ones, and it sounds the same as a “high end” DAC because it used the same chip. Odd though how they brag about the specific DAC being used though if they do all actually sound the same…
Of course, it’s not just about the chip. Theres still aspects of the digital circuitry and it’s PSU that can affect the outcome, as well as what you do with the analogue section and analogue output. If RME was really that good, we’d still be hearing about them. I’m guessing the Eversolos will eventually go the same way, although they’ve got a better chance of staying in the domestic hifi market because they’re geared a little more to domestic users, and has a whacking great big display on the front - always a draw!
even happened with the likes of SMSL only a year ago or so, but that’s dwindled too. I think once the hype has subsided, people start to see exactly what they are, and see their place in the market. If Eversolo was as good as everyone says, there’d be none up in the second hand market. But I guess that’s the modern side of viral video marketing and click-to-buy websites.
I think the implementation of the AK chips is a good move and this should attract buyers. AK ar a well established brand and are going to be around for a while. Also, there's nothing wrong with a big display. Cyrus could take a leaf out of Eversolo's book and stop using the tiny calculator style screens. The Cyrus Stream XR looks like a 1990s car radio, compared to Eversolo's offerings. You mention the 2nd hand market, but I don't think Eversolo has been around long enough, or released enough devices, to flood the 2nd market. There are some Eversolos out there, but there's also many other brands on the 2nd and market. All companies sell kit and a lot of it ends up on ebay, because many people want to upgrade, or just need the cash. I sense a very dismissive vibe in this thread and it's not warranted in my opinion. I certainly would consider buying a DMP-A8 over a Cyrus, or Roksan, or any of the BluSound based devices, including NAD. The thought of paying up to £40000 for a Linn system, is absurd and I think Eversolo are making a statement. New kids on the block to ruffle a few feathers, especially those of the well established UK brands. IF it's better and cheaper, why would you waste money on another product, just because you are familiar with the brand? I think competition is a good thing and it will make companies try a little harder and maybe release something which could be a game changer and make people sit up and take notice. We can all click on a website and order our streamer of choice, but we need new brands and features, to push the envelope etc. On paper, the DMP-A8 has a better spec than any of its competitors and there should be no reason it won't perform and sound amazing.

Last edited:

daytona600

£299
WiiM Amp
Stream Elegance, Amplify Brilliance
Compact all-in-one streaming amplifier delivering 60W per channel at 8 ohm, ensuring superior sound quality.
Boasts HDMI ARC and Sub Out features for an effortless home theater experience upgrade.
Housed in a sleek aluminum casing, the WiiM Amp is crafted with premium components, innovative circuitry, and a custom-designed heatsink for optimal thermal performance.169 9846933081.png

Reactions: WayneKerr

podknocker

£1900 EverSolo DMP-A8 like most Chifi equipment will be worthless in a few years , with no service , support or spares Spend the extra for Rotel / Marantz / Denon etc

View attachment 5564
It's nice but it's huge. Also, I would regard IAG as 'ChiFi' and they seem popular. All companies need to start somewhere.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Really enjoyed reading your wonderfully crafted piece.
I think it's about brand awareness, it doesn't need to be at the forefront of cutting edge but a young company like Eversolo have to play the trump card to win the hearts and soul of the consumer.
It's a game, many companies play, understand the competition, give them something better create the myth.
Cambridge Audio has long been in the gsme, they may not be on the crest of the wave but it's a brand known throughout the world.
People will buy their product because they can be assured of the support when things go wrong.
Reputed Chinese HiFi manufacturers are not naive, they understand that and we are starting to see green shoots of UK dealership up and down the country as well as various parts of the world.
Capitalism has no kinship or loyalty to a particular language, profit is profit and if there is a crazy demand for Chi-Fi they will stock it.

LOL there's a question mark after the title, it wasn't a statement. Debate is good that is the whole purpose of this thread.
If it's coming out in 2024 we won't know, no one can second guess. This goes back to my response, you won't know if it's a game changer until you've demoed it against a similar priced component and if it offers something unique. Only then can you decide whether it's a game changer

Reactions: WayneKerr
Really enjoyed reading your wonderfully crafted piece.
I think it's about brand awareness, it doesn't need to be at the forefront of cutting edge but a young company like Eversolo have to play the trump card to win the hearts and soul of the consumer.
It's a game, many companies play, understand the competition, give them something better create the myth.
Cambridge Audio has long been in the gsme, they may not be on the crest of the wave but it's a brand known throughout the world.
People will buy their product because they can be assured of the support when things go wrong.
Reputed Chinese HiFi manufacturers are not naive, they understand that and we are starting to see green shoots of UK dealership up and down the country as well as various parts of the world.
Capitalism has no kinship or loyalty to a particular language, profit is profit and if there is a crazy demand for Chi-Fi they will stock it.
“Wonderfully crafted”? Thanks very much.

Cambridge are known for two reasons - firstly, they took the name of a brand that’s been around since the glory days of HiFi. Secondly, they’re sold primarily through the most well known HiFi retailer in the U.K.

Odd how Asian countries seem to love British HiFi, whatever that entails nowadays. Maybe they like it because of its British roots, but is built in their own country….

Erm, that's the DMP A6, the copious ravings by certain members is for the chi-fi DMP A8.
But still a comparison against a similarly priced alternative.

Personally, I don’t feel a streamer needs a display, not unless you’re selecting music by the front panel, but surely that defeats the point of having music at the tips of your fingers. I would also favour streamer without a display, as this can be a source of internal noise that could affect the signal, as well as something that can fail (slowly or completely) - something Naim knows a little bit about…

WayneKerr

But still a comparison against a similarly priced alternative.

Personally, I don’t feel a streamer needs a display, not unless you’re selecting music by the front panel, but surely that defeats the point of having music at the tips of your fingers. I would also favour streamer without a display, as this can be a source of internal noise that could affect the signal, as well as something that can fail (slowly or completely) - something Naim knows a little bit about…
Didn't watch the vid David as I'm as impassionate about chi-fi as others are passionate. I'm not even into streamers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts