HI-Fi Game Changers for 2024?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

daveh75

Haha! That's the company I contacted. They have changed that, because it wasn't listed a week ago. I did look last week and defo wasn't listed. Maybe they have contacted the supplier and asked for confirmation and a new spec sheet?
Not sure I would trust the listing on a sellers website when the manufacturer itself does not list it as feature....

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Change is
That would be great if the initial (not ideal) thing that helps better formats get born would die out once we get the better format - move forward. It seems the crappy formats just stick around and hinder the uptake of the newer formats. It’s not like it would cause any issues. It’s like Blurays - why do we still get discs with Dolby Digital and DTS sound formats that dominated the 90s on DVD?! Modern formats like DTS Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD both have “core” DD and DTS formats embedded, so they’re compatible with older equipment that won’t do the new formats, so why not phase out DD and DTS? Move forward and keep improving, don’t wallow around in the 90s - the decade of excessive compression. Decades later, 1080p video should be a minimum standard, as should DTS-MA and DolbyTrueHD.
Change is painfully slow

Reactions: Revolutions

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
Change is

Change is painfully slow
changes-resized-6001.png

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Eversolo dmp-a8 reviews are trickling through. Very nice, the analogue preamp stage is deal breaker, I think for many
View: https://youtu.be/3J3Sy7gxxPI?si=z3ocvp10uD9gcN3t

Last edited:

podknocker

Eversolo dmp-a8 reviews are trickling through. Very nice, the analogue preamp stage is deal breaker, I think for many
View: https://youtu.be/3J3Sy7gxxPI?si=z3ocvp10uD9gcN3t

State of the art technology and seems to have everything you could want. Just need the matching Class D amp now!

Reactions: Jasonovich

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
State of the art technology and seems to have everything you could want. Just need the matching Class D amp now!
If I were to start from scratch, I'll keep the Adam A7V and have the DMP-A8 feeding into these. I need my Hifiman headphones and SingXer head amp and this can be plugged in to the analogue preamp input. It's a nice minimalist option to a clutter of boxes.

Last edited:

podknocker

If I were to start from scratch, I'll keep the Adam A7V and have the DMP-A8 feeding into these. I need my Hifiman headphones and SingXer head amp and this can be plugged in to the analogue preamp input. It's a nice minimalist option to a clutter of boxes.
I've never been so excited about music and its authentic reproduction. I wish the internet and Spotify and streamers had been around when I was in my teens. It's incredible how easy it has become to enjoy music and at such as high quality. I've recently disconnected my system and given everything a good clean. The speakers are now further apart and one is closer to a wall than the other, but with the foam bungs, it's not really an issue. My system sounds amazeballs. Listening to some Peter Gabriel on Spotify and the clarity is superb. Layers of floating synths and no sign of cabinet noise at all. I don't think I will ever upgrade now and only buy more kit if mine fails. I think many people take modern technology for granted and maybe forget the old stuff and how poor most of it was. I remember my dad's ancient Hanimex 8 track AM receiver and it was truly shocking. This Eversolo unit would have appeared to be a futuristiic alien technology back then. If you love music and have a few quid knocking around, you are sorted.

Last edited:

Gray

I've never been so excited about music and its authentic reproduction. I wish the internet and Spotify and streamers had been around when I was in my teens. It's incredible how easy it has become to enjoy music and at such as high quality. I've recently disconnected my system and given everything a good clean. The speakers are now further apart and one is closer to a wall than the other, but with the foam bungs, it's not really an issue. My system sounds amazeballs. Listening to some Peter Gabriel on Spotify and the clarity is superb. Layers of floating synths and no sign of cabinet noise at all. I don't think I will ever upgrade now and only buy more kit if mine fails. I think many people take modern technology for granted and maybe forget the old stuff and how poor most of it was. I remember my dad's ancient Hanimex 8 track AM receiver and it was truly shocking. This Eversolo unit would have appeared to be a futuristiic alien technology back then. If you love music and have a few quid knocking around, you are sorted.
That's all very true Pod.
But back in your Dad's Hanimex days, the thought (even allowing for inflation) of ever spending the best part of two thousand pounds on any single item - no matter how clever it may be - would be (and still is to many).... completely unthinkable.

And when this A8 inevitably, eventually goes wrong you will need to be equally loaded to be able to afford the repair cost.

(Just to put the excitement into context 😉).

podknocker

I agree many modern devices are very expensive, but this streamer is cutting edge technology and there are many on this site willing to spend the same amount on PSUs etc. Some people don't blink at turntables costing £25000 for example and that's for ancient technology to play a 70 year old format. This streamer might not be worth £1890 but at least it's a look to the future and not the past. I'm hoping to see a Linn Luddite LP12 at some point.

Last edited:
I agree many modern devices are very expensive, but this streamer is cutting edge technology and there are many on this site willing to spend the same amount on PSUs etc. Some people don't blink at turntables costing £25000 for example and that's for ancient technology to play a 70 year old format. This streamer might not be worth £1890 but at least it's a look to the future and not the past. I'm hoping to see a Linn Luddite LP12 at some point.
Linn make state of the art streamers too. As reviewed by WHF here, though it’s now £35,000 and has an improved power supply.

podknocker

You keep saying that, but all I see is an expensive box that offers nothing new, or interesting.

I think you need a new dictionary...
It's one of the best examples of it's type and great value, when you consider the competition. I don't need a new dictionary, as mine is brand new. I find it interesting and if you don't then maybe you shouldn't be contributing to threads which pertain to streaming devices.

Reactions: Jasonovich

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
It's one of the best examples of it's type and great value, when you consider the competition. I don't need a new dictionary, as mine is brand new. I find it interesting and if you don't then maybe you shouldn't be contributing to threads which pertain to streaming devices.
I can't see his thread Pod because I have activated the ignore button (and he can't see mine either) but I can read between the lines hahahaha!

Last edited:
Reactions: podknocker

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
I agree 100%, you make a really good point. I also think it is good for the environment, streaming you don't have to produce CD's, vinyl or any other medium to carry the music, it's all down the wire.

I think it is a great development, at a touch of a button there's every possible music you can dream of but I also like the idea, streaming removes the barriers, no snobbery in streaming; literally anyone who can use a mobile has the ability to stream their music and this is great.
I'm a big fan of Eversolo I like what they're doing and they also have third party companies creating special apps for them.

I just hope they don't go in the direction of Apple and create their own garden eco system and then charge their customers insane amount of money for the privilege. Nah they won't go that way, they're not American, it's a different psyche and before you can shout sack Suella Braverman, everyone else will be doing the same thing, because they all want a piece of the pie.

podknocker

Yes, I think a lot of HIFI is elitist snobbery. A new, or fairly new technology, such as streaming, will be expensive for a few years until it's well established and becomes the standard delivery method for music. Many companies and their loyal customers, are still trying to squeeze more performance out of old fashioned formats and often increase prices to appear to be offering something new and if it's £25k then it must be worth it. No. If people think a £25k Linn record player can get closer to the recording than this streamer from Eversolo, they are deluded. There will never be a game changing record player, with the ability to add more quality or detail to 12 inches of vinyl. I think this is a game changer and this type of device is going to become more popular and hopefully cheaper:

I don't hear people wanting to go back to 625 (576) line PAL analogue TV and I don't understand the reluctance to embrace superior technology.

Last edited:

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Well, wink wink nudge nudge
DO I FEEL LUCKY?
A real GAME CHANGER
Your chance to own this baby.
Just send your post without DELETING and I will submit your entry to the live draw. 🤣👍

8ffd31a12865547b0b83d4030926fb54 (1).jpg

Last edited:

daveh75

Yes, I think a lot of HIFI is elitist snobbery. A new, or fairly new technology, such as streaming, will be expensive for a few years until it's well established and becomes the standard delivery method for music.

Streaming isn't remotely new. Spotify for example has been around 17 years now, and people have been streaming their music (and video) collections even longer, me included...

And as Wiim, Arylic and many others have shown it doesn't need to cost thousands.

increase prices to appear to be offering something new and if it's £25k then it must be worth it.

That's all EverSolo and HiFi Rose are doing, even if not to the same extent as Linn.

Last edited:
Reactions: WayneKerr
Cars are over 100 years old - things evolve.

podknocker

Cars are very old machines, but they do evolve. Nobody could seriously compare a Ford Model T with a BMW 5 series and think there hasn't been a massive improvement. Electric cars were around before Diesel and now modern cars are going down the electric path. Car technology now is so much better than 100 years ago and the only real thing they have in common is having 4 wheels. Cars still have a long future of improvement in functionality to come and electric only, solar powered / charging, self driving vehicles might not be too far way.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts