HI-Fi Game Changers for 2024?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
This applies to other stuff as well, being a keen photographer I am constantly checking second hand sites for gear (especially lenses) that sold for an exorbitant value when new but now that a Mk2 version has arrived the old gear is seen as obsolete by many and they upgrade, so far this year I have picked up over £4k of lenses for less than £1k, irrespective of your hobby there is some really good gear out there secondhand if you know where to look (and have a bit of luck).
My budget Nikon D3200 DSLR is long in the tooth now, I was thinking of selling but it also means I have to sell all my DX lenses.
They're no good to me, if I decide to go for Nikon mirrorless Z8.
I will hold off for a couple of years, hopefully prices will come down, I may find a good second hand on Jessops or ebay 😊

Reactions: Oxfordian

Oxfordian

My budget Nikon D3200 DSLR is long in the tooth now, I was thinking of selling but it also means I have to sell all my DX lenses.
They're no good to me, if I decide to go for Nikon mirrorless Z8.
I will hold off for a couple of years, hopefully prices will come down, I may find a good second hand on Jessops or ebay 😊
It may be long in the tooth but when you press that button that freezes a moment in time the result will not be hugely different from that of the Z8, especially if you print the resultant image and put it on the wall, an image printed up to A3 size and framed would be perfect.

Reactions: Jasonovich

podknocker

So it is a game changer… will force anyone who can’t resist the new Eversolo to stop using Spotify 🙃
It's a strange decision to not include this. Looks like my next device will be a HIFI Rose RS520 if I ever need to upgrade.

The picture in this review suggests it could be a useful clock/radio/alarm, when not streaming. I think this is a fantastic device, using the entire front panel space for the display.

It will also allow you to install an SSD. Only 2.5" SATA and not M.2 drives, but 4TB SATA SSDs are going to be quick enough and a much cheaper option.

Last edited:
Reactions: WayneKerr

podknocker

I've an update about the DMP-A8 regarding Spotify Connect. I contacted a company who have just got this unit in stock and they have confirmed it DOES support this feature. They even sent me photos of the device with Spotify Connect in use. I have no idea why the Eversolo site and all the spec sheets didn't include this feature.

Reactions: Revolutions
The whole 'Made in China' thing varies so much by brand. IAG have certainly got things right, and I haven't come across anything from them (Wharfedale, Mission, Quad, Leak, Audiolab) which has felt less than solid. Rotel, on the other hand, seem to have issues with QC and consistency.
IAG have their own purpose built factories, so don’t rely on OEM.

Reactions: matthewpianist
I've an update about the DMP-A8 regarding Spotify Connect. I contacted a company who have just got this unit in stock and they have confirmed it DOES support this feature. They even sent me photos of the device with Spotify Connect in use. I have no idea why the Eversolo site and all the spec sheets didn't include this feature.
Maybe they don’t have a relevant license…

They've reduced the price of Hegel H190 from £3K to £2.4K (pounds! :) ) This is an all in one solution.
Manchester based dealership.

View attachment 5491

View: https://youtu.be/iq_Z4YUsGGo
It’s a distributor price reduction, so will be the same price at all Hegel dealers.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Not exactly going to set the HiFi world on fire but I come across an inexpensive USB power capacitor that operates as a noise filter, think of iFI jitterbug and you're not far off.
Occassionally I get crackle from my PC via the USB and I have to resort to reboot PC to fix. Well this little gem is amazing, annoying crackle gone.
If you're listing to music via the USB on your PC desktop or laptop, I really recommended and costs less than £17 from Aliexpress.

1699982392411.png1699982436640.png1699982503140.png

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
Progression in HiFi is good to seee but I don't think I have ever seen a game-changer...

I sort of think most of the game changerness happens in the studio & so by the time it filters down to hifi it’s not seen as particularly new. The Abbey Road dudes did a lot for amp & speaker design,

.And Les Paul kinda transformed recorded music.

Les_Paul_with_Guitar.jpg

MP3 definitely changed things & wasn’t quite a studio innovation.

I sort of think most of the game changerness happens in the studio & so by the time it filters down to hifi it’s not seen as particularly new. The Abbey Road dudes did a lot for amp & speaker design,

Les_Paul_with_Guitar.jpg

And that id a game changer now?

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site

Les_Paul_with_Guitar.jpg

Without MP3, we'll probably not have discovered Flac. It's like stepping stones, one idea tends to give birth to something better.
Most of the things coming out of HiFi or the music industry are small ideas that evolve into something and if it has commercial or social viability then its likely to succeed.

podknocker

It does, according to Audio Emotion UK?

View attachment 5540
Haha! That's the company I contacted. They have changed that, because it wasn't listed a week ago. I did look last week and defo wasn't listed. Maybe they have contacted the supplier and asked for confirmation and a new spec sheet?

Without MP3, we'll probably not have discovered Flac. It's like stepping stones, one idea tends to give birth to something better.
Most of the things coming out of HiFi or the music industry are small ideas that evolve into something and if it has commercial or social viability then its likely to succeed.
That would be great if the initial (not ideal) thing that helps better formats get born would die out once we get the better format - move forward. It seems the crappy formats just stick around and hinder the uptake of the newer formats. It’s not like it would cause any issues. It’s like Blurays - why do we still get discs with Dolby Digital and DTS sound formats that dominated the 90s on DVD?! Modern formats like DTS Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD both have “core” DD and DTS formats embedded, so they’re compatible with older equipment that won’t do the new formats, so why not phase out DD and DTS? Move forward and keep improving, don’t wallow around in the 90s - the decade of excessive compression. Decades later, 1080p video should be a minimum standard, as should DTS-MA and DolbyTrueHD.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts