HI-Fi Game Changers for 2024?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Noooo, Aliexpress have the DMP-A6 for £732.37. Good time to buy.
But you do have a point, there were scrupulous retailers scalping the consumer when the shelves were bare.
I included, one retailer on eBay wanted £1200.
I suspect when the DMP-A8 is launched, the scalpers are going to be at it again.
I was referring to your guess of £1500 for the new model. (Nobody sane would buy from Aliexpress with liability for customs, VAT and returning abroad for warranty. But that’s for another thread)

Last edited:
Looks amazing. I wish they would release a matching Class D amp with 200WPC.

It looks like it's going to cost nearly £2k and there's no mention of Spotify connect support.

We have pretty much got that already in one box. And with a proper warranty and shops you can visit!

Reactions: WayneKerr

podknocker

We have pretty much got that already in one box. And with a proper warranty and shops you can visit!

I bought my Audiolab Omnia as part of a trade in from Audio Emotion in Scotland and they are spot on.

I wouldn't think twice about another trade in, if I was looking for a new streaming unit.

I bought my Audiolab Omnia as part of a trade in from Audio Emotion in Scotland and they are spot on.

I wouldn't think twice about another trade in, if I was looking for a new streaming unit.

I gather they are well liked as a dealer, and a family link with Elite Audio. I was trying to think of the streamer and class D amp you wanted, and the Cambridge has both. That’s all!

Juzzie Wuzzie

As I've written elsewhere on these forums, if I could have my time again, I'd go Lyngdorf or Hegel for the one box solution. Or possibly something even more basic (i.e. without a screen) as long as it had Spotify Connect and internet radio (albeit, I never seem to move away from Radio Paradise).

"Game changing" these days seems to be to make things easier / simpler / more lazy!

Reactions: Jasonovich

WayneKerr

Things have evolved, there's still stuff from China that are cheap and cheerful and the usual caveat emptor applies but for a very long time, the Chinese have taken a leaf from the Japanese and they learn fast.
Eversolo, HiFiMAN, Moon, SMSL, Fosi, Topping, Singxer are just a few names I can think of.
These guys have arrived and the prices are still competitive.
Purely my opinion: They may have taken a leaf from the Japanese but they haven’t taken the whole Japanese ethos as they continue to churn out poor quality items. They may learn fast by pinching ideas from western and Japanese brands but they still produce a lot of tat. I think another member on here stated the Chinese are good manufacturers for western brands but turn your back on them and quality is the first thing to go, or they produce cheap inferior counterfeit copies of the licensed products.

As far as I’m aware I only have two Chinese made items in my audio chain, a Pioneer turntable and a Topping headphone amp. The turntable is a Technics clone and demonstrates a poor attitude to QC with multiple faults which still haven’t been addressed years later as all the Chinese produced Technics clones still manifest the same issues. This is something the original Technics never suffered from as it was made in Japan, a different ethos of continual improvement and quality related issues addressed immediately. Conversely the Topping head amp seems well made and a good item… only time will tell if they’ve cracked the longevity/QC aspect.

We all saw the demise of the British motorcycle industry in the 70’s when Japan started making some damned fine motorcycles and dominating the sector. The Chinese have tried to enter this sector over the last 15 years but failed miserably, their motorcycles are terrible and start falling apart as soon as they are used.

As far as I’m concerned a product stating designed in the West/Japan made in China is not a label I currently want to own.

Last edited:

matthewpianist

The whole 'Made in China' thing varies so much by brand. IAG have certainly got things right, and I haven't come across anything from them (Wharfedale, Mission, Quad, Leak, Audiolab) which has felt less than solid. Rotel, on the other hand, seem to have issues with QC and consistency.

There's certainly a lot of turntable tat coming out of China, mostly where they have been built to achieve a cheap price point - appealing to those looking at the headline price, but not to those desiring value for money.

Some once cherished brands are certainly being abused, and Pioneer is one example. It doesn't really exist as a hi-fi brand anymore, but it's being used to sell what might be fashionable. Even worse happened with the Sansui name years ago. When you think they were the two top Japanese amplifier makers in the 70s...

I think the only sensible way is to assess each brand and model on a case-by-case basis, rather than using the 'made in...' label as a key factor. I would never have thought of Vietnam being a place for quality hi-fi, and yet a lot of Denon kit is made there, without any weakness in QC.

podknocker

The whole 'Made in China' thing varies so much by brand. IAG have certainly got things right, and I haven't come across anything from them (Wharfedale, Mission, Quad, Leak, Audiolab) which has felt less than solid. Rotel, on the other hand, seem to have issues with QC and consistency.

There's certainly a lot of turntable tat coming out of China, mostly where they have been built to achieve a cheap price point - appealing to those looking at the headline price, but not to those desiring value for money.

Some once cherished brands are certainly being abused, and Pioneer is one example. It doesn't really exist as a hi-fi brand anymore, but it's being used to sell what might be fashionable. Even worse happened with the Sansui name years ago. When you think they were the two top Japanese amplifier makers in the 70s...

I think the only sensible way is to assess each brand and model on a case-by-case basis, rather than using the 'made in...' label as a key factor. I would never have thought of Vietnam being a place for quality hi-fi, and yet a lot of Denon kit is made there, without any weakness in QC.
IAG's 'expertise' has been spread too thinly across so many brands and model ranges. The QC is way below par and as I've mentioned before, I've done with the Chinese made / owned UK brands.

Reactions: WayneKerr

matthewpianist

IAG's 'expertise' has been spread too thinly across so many brands and model ranges. The QC is way below par and as I've mentioned before, I've done with the Chinese made / owned UK brands.
My experience of IAG has been different to yours. I've owned something from every brand, and although a lot of it hasn't suited me in performance I have never had the slightest quibble with QC. I challenge anyone to find a better made pair of small speakers than my QX1s around the same price. IAG's packaging is also superior to a lot of other brands.

The trouble is, very little is made in the UK now, and those items which are, are generally very expensive and sometimes have their own issues. The Cyrus One amps (no discontinued) were made in the UK and were strong performers, but they felt cheap in use.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
TBH I can't see this Evesolo device as a downgrade for anyone seriously into high quality sound. It's state of the art technology and has the latest chips and stuff. I'd love one.

M.2 SSDs are getting really cheap now and I would love to fill a 4TB SSD with FLAC files and stick it inside this Eversolo streamer.
So true, prices have really come down. I just paid £65.99 for a 2TB SSD NVME M.2 (Biostar new - I believe, there's 4 left in stock) on eBay and £20 for an external case, I'll plug this in the digital transport. The old Lacie 512GB external drive will be passed on to the Marantz CD/SACD player.

Reactions: Al ears

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site

The link Pod has provided for this UK retailer has listed the price at £1.9K that's more than twice the price of DMP-A6. This is typical of a new product, first takers are going to pay a lot for the privilege. I suspect, give it a few months, it'll come down significantly once other retailers start selling.
1699280226108.png

Edit:
Have I got this right, I believe if you live outside the EU (US, no not US, I mean us. You and Me = us :LOL:), you're not subject to EU tax. there's a Dutch retailer selling £200+ less (euros). I suspect you will need to pay for the shipment.

1699286539595.png

Attachments

• 1699286484844.png
    1699286484844.png
    193.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
My unpopular opinion personally Id never buy item so heavily reliant on an android based operating system. the phones are notorious for receiving very little to no support . And I think it's already running an out of date operating system thats already not receiving security updates. Though that could be the Fiio R7 but that illustrates my point either way.

Streaming services such as apple /tidal could just stop working over night and if you dont have a large local library the unit is largely redundant.

For me Its a product thats a no go especially for asking price

Id still buy a raspberry pie or a headless Mac mini with any dac of you're choosing

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
I wish I had your optimism. I don't think this will fall in price for a long time. Retailing at nearly £2k, you'd think they would stick a Class D amp inside, to compete with the CA kit. Strange.
The CA is a different beast, it may have a D class amp integrated but it costs almost £3K and lacks the specs of DMP-A8 (top of the range AKM, not ESS as per the CA). I agree though, D Class would be absolutely fabulous.

podknocker

The CA is a different beast, it may have a D class amp integrated but it costs almost £3K and lacks the specs of DMP-A8 (top of the range AKM, not ESS as per the CA). I agree though, D Class would be absolutely fabulous.
It is a shame. The amplifier boards would easily fit inside a full width device, if they used something similar to those in the Audiophonics amp:

Class D streaming amps are going to be the next big thing in HIFI, if they're not already.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
My unpopular opinion personally Id never buy item so heavily reliant on an android based operating system. the phones are notorious for receiving very little to no support . And I think it's already running an out of date operating system thats already not receiving security updates. Though that could be the Fiio R7 but that illustrates my point either way.

Streaming services such as apple /tidal could just stop working over night and if you dont have a large local library the unit is largely redundant.

Id still buy a raspberry pie or a headless Mac mini with any dac of you're choosing
My JF digital transport, is heavily customised Android OS, you wouldn't know it. It's as smooth as butter but maybe because it isn't bloated like like a normal android phone.

podknocker

It might be worth emailing Eversolo and asking about a possible Master Edition and if they could make a matching, full width Class D amp to go with the streamer. They might consider both options if they get loads of emails from many potential customers, namely WHF forum members. You never know.

The CA is a different beast, it may have a D class amp integrated but it costs almost £3K
Crumbs! You seem to be having some trouble reading prices. First you guess that the new Eversolo will be £1500 when it’s already advertised by several British dealers at £1890.

Then when you say you would like a matching amp, I post a link to the Cambridge (streamer +amp) which is currently £1999. Not almost £3k then!

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Crumbs! You seem to be having some trouble reading prices. First you guess that the new Eversolo will be £1500 when it’s already advertised by several British dealers at £1890.

Then when you say you would like a matching amp, I post a link to the Cambridge (streamer +amp) which is currently £1999. Not almost £3k then!
My bad, the CA price I looked at on Google was dollars not Pounds haha ... I need my eyes tested!
1699288056812.png
People can decide, weigh up the pros and cons once the Eversolo DMP-A8 reviews start coming in. I don't think integrated class D amp is a game changer, I accept it might be for some people but offset against that, you get the lovely Eversolo badge hahaha just kidding, you get the latest and greatest AKM processor, you can store NVME up to 4TB inside a concealed slot and possibly a much better user interface but let's not get ahead of ourselves, the CA is already tried and tested and it's a lovely beast, wait for the DMP-A8 reviews to trickle in. :)

Reactions: Al ears and nopiano

podknocker

Some companies, like Audiolab are ditching DTS PlayFi and many BluOS machines might disappear, if the updates start to cause problems. I think Audiolab now use a Linux variant with the 9000N and you can bet your bottom dollar, Linux and its derivatives are not going away any time soon. Let's hope more companies start using Linux based streaming apps. Because it's open source software, licensing is not really an issue.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Some companies, like Audiolab are ditching DTS PlayFi and many BluOS machines might disappear, if the updates start to cause problems. I think Audiolab now use a Linux variant with the 9000N and you can bet your bottom dollar, Linux and its derivatives are not going away any time soon. Let's hope more companies start using Linux based streaming apps.
Linux is stable as a rock, I wish it had a much wider adoption in hand held devices, such as mobiles. It works a charm on my MAG 523 IPTV streamer box.

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Some companies, like Audiolab are ditching DTS PlayFi and many BluOS machines might disappear, if the updates start to cause problems. I think Audiolab now use a Linux variant with the 9000N and you can bet your bottom dollar, Linux and its derivatives are not going away any time soon. Let's hope more companies start using Linux based streaming apps. Because it's open source software, licensing is not really an issue.
One of the reasons I struggle to recommend any streaming products beyond a laptop, phone, tablets ,computer or if you can get hold of one a chrome cast audio.

Reactions: gotnoname

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
My JF digital transport, is heavily customised Android OS, you wouldn't know it. It's as smooth as butter but maybe because it isn't bloated like like a normal android phone.
as I said it an unpopular opinion and I’m sure it is a fine product and is very slick in use. And if you’re Apple Music user its pretty much the only game in town.

It’s just a product id very wary over and my concerns are echoed quite loudly by others on other sites.

But I find it hard to recommend streamers over tablet and phones any how. Or even a raspberry pie if you fancy the diy route.

daveh75

My unpopular opinion personally Id never buy item so heavily reliant on an android based operating system. the phones are notorious for receiving very little to no support .

That's nothing to do with android, and entirely down to the manufacturers.

Though personally I think streamers costing hundreds of pounds are a joke anyway, no matter how overly hyped by some!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts