HI-Fi Game Changers for 2024?

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 201267

Says the guy who said he wanted paying for his reviews, one way or another because he can’t do it for nothing…
True... but i think it was payment from viewers, and not from manufacturers, via free kit.

nightanddaygamechangers

Nov 19, 2023
Visit site
I’ve seen many of his (now deleted) community rants. I’m not sure if they’re genuine, or he’s just trying to drum up some sympathy. What he seems to forget is he’s just a random bloke on the internet, completely unqualified, with an opinion. That is all. He feels like the HiFi community owes him something, and gets very upset when anyone criticises him. I personally don’t think he has an appropriate level of mental stability, or ability, to put himself out in the public domain, based on the very personal comments I’ve seen.

podknocker

The build and aesthetics look very nice. No off centre fittings or rough edges. Very neat and tidy. It reminds me of the Mac Mini and it has the same Apple colour options.

Last edited:

podknocker

I did notice some of these images are renders and have the left input in red and the right input in white. It should be the other way round. I always remember R for Red and Right and then left for the other one obviously! I think the sockets are the right way round but the R and L labels are wrong. If the labels are correct, then the sockets are wrong, but the real photo, with the real speaker leads, still show the red to the right of the left, unless this is also a very good render. You can just see the L underneath the red socket. It does look like a photo to me, but I hope the retail units have the correct inputs configured.

Last edited:

Gray

I did notice some of these images are renders and have the left input in red and the right input in white. It should be the other way round.
And that does show an undeniable lack of attention to detail and quality control.

(I've got a Chinese-made Lepy amp where the 3.5mm TRS input socket is using tip for right and ring for left - there must be plenty of people blissfully unaware that their channels are reversed - but that amp was 20 quid, so some would say there's an excuse).

Reactions: WayneKerr

podknocker

And that does show an undeniable lack of attention to detail and quality control.

(I've got a Chinese-made Lepy amp where the 3.5mm TRS input socket is using tip for right and ring for left - there must be plenty of people blissfully unaware that their channels are reversed - but that amp was 20 quid, so some would say there's an excuse).
Yes, it's put me off this company already. The graphic artist might not realise, but the technicians and staff on the production line should spot something like this. Dreadful.

Last edited:

WayneKerr

I did notice some of these images are renders and have the left input in red and the right input in white. It should be the other way round. I always remember R for Red and Right and then left for the other one obviously! I think the sockets are the right way round but the R and L labels are wrong. If the labels are correct, then the sockets are wrong, but the real photo, with the real speaker leads, still show the red to the right of the left, unless this is also a very good render. You can just see the L underneath the red socket. It does look like a photo to me, but I hope the retail units have the correct inputs configured.
Agreed (y)
You want colour coded input sockets! You'd be b*ggered with mine, L & R are both black! Can be entertaining when trying to connect stuff :)

Edit. Correction, they're either both black or both white :)

Last edited:

podknocker

DARE I POST THIS !
(Beware of hi-fi "reviewers"...).
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ywwBZTHYsg
I think there are many people who have no idea what they are talking about, but still try to review a very technical product. Some of these get sponsored, some don't and they could be misinforming the public, due to a bias towards their favourite brand. There are many other reviewers online and they really do know what they are talking about and again, some are sponsored and some are just glad to give the public a fair and balanced review, without bias. Some reviewers are only doing it for the money and will give a biased opinion, just to receive revenue from the manufacturer. I don't think everyone is telling you nonsense just for the money. I think many reviewers are very enthusiastic and are simply trying to give you their honest thoughts about a fantastic product. I'm not sue about this bloke above though. He doesn't say it's the best thing ever and everyone should rush out and buy one. I've seen every video review online and regardless of sponsorship and promotion, I still think it's a great attempt at the streaming sector and seems to be well made etc.

Reactions: Jasonovich

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
I watched that video last night.
Full marks to Wiim - for giving rivals something to think about.
When Darko likes it..........
.............Well, he likes it!
Mighty fine reviewer :)

Oh my new Hifiman graphene(ish) cables arrived today. Blingy and So Jason :)
I've been putting it through its pace today. I'm not disappointed, I need longer listening, don't want to put it down to placebo.
1701795127645.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Gray

podknocker

When Darko likes it..........
.............Well, he likes it!
Mighty fine reviewer :)
I agree with everything Darko says. I do think he's a very genuine and honest guy and doesn't give you any BS, even though he gets sponsorship. I've watched all his videos and listened to a few of his podcasts and he's an honest chap. I doubt anyone could say he's telling porkies about the devices he reviews and is just in it for the money. He's one of the best online and I always look forward to his videos.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
I agree with everything Darko says. I do think he's a very genuine and honest guy and doesn't give you any BS, even though he gets sponsorship. I've watched all his videos and listened to a few of his podcasts and he's an honest chap. I doubt anyone could say he's telling porkies about the devices he reviews and is just in it for the money. He's one of the best online and I always look forward to his videos.
There's a few honest reviewers that are clear about the sponsorship but if you take that out of the equation and listen to the content in terms of quality, analysis and the tonality, the person's personality usually comes through and you make the call if there are external factors influencing the outcome.
There are some reviewers who jump on the bandwagon because they lack the cognition or just too lazy to make the effort.
Darko, Srb and Steve Huff and yes, include Randy Grab yourself a cup of coffee, are a few worth listening to.

TRENDING THREADS