What kind of CD player does £21 buy you?

record_spot

And that's for a new CD player, not some Ebay/Gumtree deal.

If you're in Asda, it'll buy you one of these...

IMG_20240107_170708.jpg

Okay, so it's a CD / DVD player, but, it comes with analogue outs well as HDMI and, handily, a digital coax out too.

So, £18 later (it's on sale!), I bought one. Hooked it up to the DACMagic 200M via coax and popped in a nearby CD, in this case, an early copy of Rattlesnakes from Lloyd Cole and the Commotions. By chance, this also comes with a great production and is well mastered. Great bass line, but jangly guitars, so a decent setup should straddle (wot?) that line.

I didn't have too many worries on the replay front, but does £18 get you a decent transport? Well, you're not going to mistake it for anything by Plinius, Boulder or McIntosh, but you're not buying it with anywhere near those expectations.

You do get a decent range of connections, HDMI is a given I guess, but coax is a nice benefit. It's got a noisy transport, so ear defenders when you're opening and closing it, and it takes a while to load, but, again, this is quibbling.

The handset is roughly the size of your hand, so a little smaller than your typical remote but it's absolutely festooned with buttons. Forget backlighting...

And yes, £18, or £21, does get you a very usable little player and can either be an emergency backup, a source in a second system with DAC, or if you're on a really tight budget. Heartily recommended.

IMG_20240107_171557.jpg

Last edited:

Fandango Andy

I have a system in my bedroom/homeoffice. I mainly stream music in that room, but did get a CD player for occasional use. A Sony CDP-XE570. I paid £15 on ebay about ten years ago. I think they were about £150 new in the early 2000s

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
And that's for a new CD player, not some Ebay/Gumtree deal.

If you're in Asda, it'll buy you one of these...

View attachment 5862

Okay, so it's a CD / DVD player, but, it comes with analogue outs well as HDMI and, handily, a digital coax out too.

So, £18 later (it's on sale!), I bought one. Hooked it up to the DACMagic 200M via coax and popped in a nearby CD, in this case, an early copy of Rattlesnakes from Lloyd Cole and the Commotions. By chance, this also comes with a great production and is well mastered. Great bass line, but jangly guitars, so a decent setup should straddle (wot?) that line.

I didn't have too many worries on the replay front, but does £18 get you a decent transport? Well, you're not going to mistake it for anything by Plinius, Boulder or McIntosh, but you're not buying it with anywhere near those expectations.

You do get a decent range of connections, HDMI is a given I guess, but coax is a nice benefit. It's got a noisy transport, so ear defenders when you're opening and closing it, and it takes a while to load, but, again, this is quibbling.

The handset is roughly the size of your hand, so a little smaller than your typical remote but it's absolutely festooned with buttons. Forget backlighting...

And yes, £18, or £21, does get you a very usable little player and can either be an emergency backup, a source in a second system with DAC, or if you're on a really tight budget. Heartily recommended.

View attachment 5863

AliExpress does it cheaper, just under £18 and free delivery.
It plays different formats, including MP3 and 1080p but no HDMI or coaxial, therefore, not compatible with external DAC. The ASDA is better if you're planning to link it with a DAC.:)

1704883059321.png

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts